Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 25

sonur15

IF-Rockerz

sonur15

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 11:12pm | IP Logged
welll i liked the movie ..i loved the background music of SDM ...i want ARR to win Oscar ...but as far as film is concern....its ok..i mean its a good movie but not exceptionally good movie. On other hand TZP was a good and different movie i liked TZP.
Well i dont know about other but i really like the movie Lagaan it had a good script based on a small village during the British raj...from language to costumes,location ,acting everything was perfect but still that movie couldnt find its place in Oscars.....i dont know what is the criteria

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 5:55am | IP Logged
Yes it is, look past its flaws, it was pretty creative. When i first heard it was with a game show, i thought mmm kinda boring..But the way each answer recalled history was great.

I still like the movie, i hope they do win, they should give the underdog some lime light.

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
http://publication.samachar.com/pub_article.php?id=3539864&navname=Movies%20&moreurl=http://publication.samachar.com/reutersindia/movies/reutersindia.php&homeurl=http://movies.samachar.com&nextids=3539864|3539865|3535372|3539866|3534954&nextIndex=1

"As the film revels in the violence, degradation and horror, it invites you, the Westerner, to enjoy it, too…Slumdog Millionaire is poverty po*n," wrote London Times' columnist Alice Miles.

The phrase "poverty po*n" spread across the Indian media as commentators nodded in agreement or shook their heads even before the film premiered in its native Mumbai and India could (legally) watch it.

A group of the city's slum dwellers, including children, protested against the word "dog". A social activist filed a defamation case in Patna. And this week, hundreds of slum dwellers in Bihar's capital ransacked a movie theatre demanding the title be changed.

So, is it really "poverty po*n" for the Westerner's delectation? Are beatings, torture, and the maiming of street beggars a sick form of adult exotica?

Perhaps the question can be rephrased: does a morbid fascination with the suffering of others find a place in art and is "Slumdog" are a striking example of this?

Be it a film on the Nazi holocaust, or based on crime, or a painful examination of the horrors of drug abuse (Trainspotting?), viewers can gawk at the world's dirty underbelly whether or not they would describe themselves as pain perverts.

But the film has caused real offense in some parts.

"'Slumdog' is just every scrap of dirt picked up from every corner and piled up together to try and hit back at the growing might of India. And the awards almost seem like a sadistic effort to show the world — look we knew that this was India, and these are the slumdogs we are outsourcing our jobs to," wrote management consultant and film producer Arindam Chaudhuri on his blog.

Chaudhuri and others say the film crosses the line into stereotype in a way that "stinks of racial arrogance" and is designed to undermine India's inevitable rise on the world stage.

According to Chaudhuri, the film serves up "India as the accidental millionaire, which in fact happens to be a slumdog".

But take the critically acclaimed movie "La Haine" (Hate), about life in the grim suburbs of Paris. Riots, needless bloodshed, police' brutal treatment of immigrants and monotonous poverty are its subject matter and there is no happy ending.

Should France have rushed to the city's defence and said the (French) director wallowed in the city's troubles when Paris has so much more to offer? Could he not have made a film set in the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and the world-famous catwalks?

Should "City of God" have apologised for being set in the troubled slums of Rio and because it didn't address Brazil's own emergence on the world stage?

The director of "Slumdog", Danny Boyle, is up for an Academy Award. But some panned the film on its own perceived demerits and said it does not deserve 10 Oscar nominations — three for music director A.R. Rahman will do. The three people I went to see it with were underwhelmed.

Some saw the film as trite and inconsistent. For example, the hero's sudden knowledge of English after his stint as a guide at the Taj Mahal came under scrutiny, especially since it allowed Boyle to shoot large chunks of the film in his native tongue.

Whether or not a moviegoer wants to spend his money on a film set in slums seems a matter of taste, but with more expected protests in India, the controversy has not died down.

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Pradarshak

http://publication.samachar.com/pub_article.php?id=3539864&navname=Movies%20&moreurl=http://publication.samachar.com/reutersindia/movies/reutersindia.php&homeurl=http://movies.samachar.com&nextids=3539864|3539865|3535372|3539866|3534954&nextIndex=1

"As the film revels in the violence, degradation and horror, it invites you, the Westerner, to enjoy it, too?Slumdog Millionaire is poverty po*n," wrote London Times' columnist Alice Miles.

The phrase "poverty po*n" spread across the Indian media as commentators nodded in agreement or shook their heads even before the film premiered in its native Mumbai and India could (legally) watch it.

A group of the city's slum dwellers, including children, protested against the word "dog". A social activist filed a defamation case in Patna. And this week, hundreds of slum dwellers in Bihar's capital ransacked a movie theatre demanding the title be changed.

So, is it really "poverty po*n" for the Westerner's delectation? Are beatings, torture, and the maiming of street beggars a sick form of adult exotica?

Perhaps the question can be rephrased: does a morbid fascination with the suffering of others find a place in art and is "Slumdog" are a striking example of this?

Be it a film on the Nazi holocaust, or based on crime, or a painful examination of the horrors of drug abuse (Trainspotting?), viewers can gawk at the world's dirty underbelly whether or not they would describe themselves as pain perverts.

But the film has caused real offense in some parts.

"'Slumdog' is just every scrap of dirt picked up from every corner and piled up together to try and hit back at the growing might of India. And the awards almost seem like a sadistic effort to show the world ? look we knew that this was India, and these are the slumdogs we are outsourcing our jobs to," wrote management consultant and film producer Arindam Chaudhuri on his blog.

Chaudhuri and others say the film crosses the line into stereotype in a way that "stinks of racial arrogance" and is designed to undermine India's inevitable rise on the world stage.

According to Chaudhuri, the film serves up "India as the accidental millionaire, which in fact happens to be a slumdog".

But take the critically acclaimed movie "La Haine" (Hate), about life in the grim suburbs of Paris. Riots, needless bloodshed, police' brutal treatment of immigrants and monotonous poverty are its subject matter and there is no happy ending.

Should France have rushed to the city's defence and said the (French) director wallowed in the city's troubles when Paris has so much more to offer? Could he not have made a film set in the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and the world-famous catwalks?

Should "City of God" have apologised for being set in the troubled slums of Rio and because it didn't address Brazil's own emergence on the world stage?

The director of "Slumdog", Danny Boyle, is up for an Academy Award. But some panned the film on its own perceived demerits and said it does not deserve 10 Oscar nominations ? three for music director A.R. Rahman will do. The three people I went to see it with were underwhelmed.

Some saw the film as trite and inconsistent. For example, the hero's sudden knowledge of English after his stint as a guide at the Taj Mahal came under scrutiny, especially since it allowed Boyle to shoot large chunks of the film in his native tongue.

Whether or not a moviegoer wants to spend his money on a film set in slums seems a matter of taste, but with more expected protests in India, the controversy has not died down.

nice article and poverty po*n it is....only the brits can understand bothsidesof teh coin sowell....LOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged
So thats what they call it these days. po*n. Good to see the Times Of London is upping its reporting levels to compete with the Daily Sun.

I wonder who will host this years Oscars. Its a bummer that they wont reveal the host this year, because the host is the only thing I usually tune into the Oscars for. Its like a movie being ruined because you missed the previews. I think  I liked Slumdog because I got to see some excellent previews before it. People who dislike Slumdog were denied of Good previews.

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 10:52am | IP Logged
I saw the movie again, i thought it had a sad/darker theme second time around...I guess the lovey story line didnt catch my eye second time around...

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by AsliiGuy

I saw the movie again, i thought it had a sad/darker theme second time around...I guess the lovey story line didnt catch my eye second time around...

Thanks for sharing your views after watching it for the second time... WOW you actually watched it second time.

Isn't it amazing how our brain/mind works, when our own perceptions cannot be consistent isn't it too much to ask for every individual to come to an agreement as far as take away from SDM is concerned. Just making a general statement.

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by AsliiGuy

Thanks for sharing your views after watching it for the second time... WOW you actually watched it second time.

Isn't it amazing how our brain/mind works, when our own perceptions cannot be consistent isn't it too much to ask for every individual to come to an agreement as far as take away from SDM is concerned. Just making a general statement.

i think your making fun of me..Cry

HAHA just kidding!LOL your right..

I was thinking the same thing to myself, i think it was because i was like "inntaa award nikal aaya", "Wow ittna sundar kahani" "wow ittna sundar larka...mm i mean larki" (haha)...

Really tho, i think you see more and look past all the "face-value" when you see it a second time.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top