Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 25

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tina59

I def think SD will win a lot of oscars and ARR is def bringing the oscar home this time. The movie will win not bcoz of slums being shown which is a total misconception. Its bcoz of its treatment and the brilliant script and the way its taken combining a reality show and a person's real life experiences.

as for SD, hope it wins many oscars, I am rooting for it , go SD

My feelings exactly! I'm hoping that ARR especially brings home the Oscar, even if this isn't his best work ever....the Oscars sometimes recognize a talent later than when it really deserved...so that's fine too.

As for the rest, I want the movie and Danny Boyle to win too cuz it is one of the rare movies in recent times whose narration style I was really impressed by and the direction was also fantastic! It is a story which just touches the heart....and that is what should be the basis of any great movie.

Vis a vis the accents of the grown up versions of Jamaal etc...that much is understandeable since the movie was in English....now if they were speaking Hindi in a broken British accent, that would have been more jarring.

I am just amazed that a non-Indian filmmaker managed to capture the HEART of India so well in a movie!

Edited by nureat01 - 26 January 2009 at 2:45pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

bheegi

IF-Sizzlerz

bheegi

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:50pm | IP Logged
Ask not IF it will win an Oscar, but ask how MANY Oscars will it winSmile

Good luck to the whole team of SDMClap

Edited by bheegi - 26 January 2009 at 7:51pm

ThE_kHan07

IF-Rockerz

ThE_kHan07

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:55pm | IP Logged
Honestly...the film isnt "all that" and i really don't know why this film so so hyped about?! Confused

Yea its based on a novel...bout a poor guy...growing up loving the girl since childhhood n stuff...kids done great acting etc...but the story line isnt that much different yaar....yea we see how these kids travel across the country makes money by stealing stuff some turns good...some of them turns out bad......its like everyday life..not something out of the ordinary....idk but this film sorts of reminds me of TRAFFIC SIGNAL where the story focues on the lives of the people of Dharavi and how make their everyday living

Edited by ThE_kHan07 - 26 January 2009 at 7:56pm

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nureat01

I def think SD will win a lot of oscars and ARR is def bringing the oscar home this time. The movie will win not bcoz of slums being shown which is a total misconception. Its bcoz of its treatment and the brilliant script and the way its taken combining a reality show and a person's real life experiences.

My feelings exactly! I'm hoping that ARR especially brings home the Oscar, even if this isn't his best work ever....the Oscars sometimes recognize a talent later than when it really deserved...so that's fine too.

As for the rest, I want the movie and Danny Boyle to win too cuz it is one of the rare movies in recent times whose narration style I was really impressed by and the direction was also fantastic! It is a story which just touches the heart....and that is what should be the basis of any great movie.

Vis a vis the accents of the grown up versions of Jamaal etc...that much is understandeable since the movie was in English....now if they were speaking Hindi in a broken British accent, that would have been more jarring.

I am just amazed that a non-Indian filmmaker managed to capture the HEART of India so well in a movie!

If you think so, then a lot of credit goes to the cast-director cum co-director cum dialogue writer(hindi part) Loveleen Tandon.

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:41pm | IP Logged
@Pradarshak: Ohhh.....yes, I remember her name being mentioned by Danny Boyle and the others at the awards shows....That makes sense then....having an indian co-director really helped in adding to the authenticity of the Indian aspects....and the casting was just brilliant! Especially the kids!

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:41pm | IP Logged

As for TZP not making the cut, in India, it might have been a unique concept which has never been touched before but in america there are and have been several moves made to show such kind of movies.

Also the way they showed hostel life esp boarding school life gave a total wrong impression evident when aamir came as a guest in srgmp and several people spoke abt how they as a parent felt so bad leaving their kids in boarding schools and after seeing the movie borught them back, thats ridiculous and a complete wrong picture and understanding of the movie.

Brilliant Script.... can point out n no. of loopholes in the script. Good camera-work ....no doubt about that, kids' street-smart  acting(which our Indian directors rarely exploit or they don't want to) and the story-telling is fast, other than that comparing SDM and TZP, TZP scores ahead.

Surely will be happy for ARR if he wins. But for the movie, if it is going to win, it will for the SLUM TREATMENT given to the movie.

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
As for TZP not making the cut, yes surely dyslexic is not a big issue to the westerners. No matter however beautifully it is made. Third world issues like poverty/slum/beggars(Slumdog Millioniare, Salaam Bombay, City of Joy, Pather Panchali), child abuse(Monsoon Wedding, Water, Vanaja),  adolescent crime(City of God,Tsotsi), Red light(Born into brothels)can only grab their attention.

Edited by Pradarshak - 27 January 2009 at 7:17pm

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:34pm | IP Logged
Academy has a trend for awarding the other side of the tracks. Btw I think Bollywood won with Chicago - I mean its like just any Hindi movie, so were My Fair Lady, West Side Story, Sound of Music. All this reminds me I really do miss the musical era.

I think Ekta Kapoor might have also won with Gone with the Wind.

At this point I am starting to think frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Oscar Smoskar whatever, As long as they make movies, I'll keep coming back for more. February 6th Fanboys will be out, and I would pick a fanboy over Ash any day.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

Post Reply New Post

Go to top