Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 22)

Post Reply New Post

Page 22 of 25

-KingAragorn-

IF-Sizzlerz

-KingAragorn-

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 9:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by liza93

Originally posted by stingray

Hundreds of good movies are not even reviewed for nomination. So, winning the Oscar isn't that important. An Oscar winning movie may not actually be one of the top ten movies of the year.  Totally, It doesn't have to be.

Slumdog has bagged 8! That's nice!. But better movies have been made. I will watch the movie and give my opinion. One thing I don't have any doubt about is AR Rehman. That guy always creates magic. He deserves it.  I think you should first watch the film & then comment. No one here claims that it is the best film ever. But It is one of them, IMO.

Lolz... I know, Liza.... but I'm eager to comment and I have no means to watch it right now. I understand it's very wrong but I promise it won't happen again. Do you think I can be forgiven? Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? (Page 22)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 9:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by liza93

Hundreds of good movies are not even reviewed for nomination. So, winning the Oscar isn't that important. An Oscar winning movie may not actually be one of the top ten movies of the year.  Totally, It doesn't have to be.

Slumdog has bagged 8! That's nice!. But better movies have been made. I will watch the movie and give my opinion. One thing I don't have any doubt about is AR Rehman. That guy always creates magic. He deserves it.  I think you should first watch the film & then comment. No one here claims that it is the best film ever. But It is one of them, IMO.

Lolz... I know, Liza.... but I'm eager to comment and I have no means to watch it right now. I understand it's very wrong but I promise it won't happen again. Do you think I can be forgiven? Smile

lol I love ur sig!!!

Cute_Tulip

IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Sujal_Fan_No1

Goldie

Sujal_Fan_No1

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged
Us brits invaded the oscars yesterday

nanananaanaaTongue

Kate Winslet best Actress
Slumdog 8 awards - whooop whoop!

Edited by Sujal_Fan_No1 - 23 February 2009 at 10:45am

U-No-Poo

IF-Sizzlerz

U-No-Poo

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged
@ Sayeed - LOL....Forgiven for what ? This is the DM, this place is meant for debating, You don't have to apologize for that.

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
Another thing that was interesting fact about the Oscars 2009 is that Sean Penn was the only American-born actor that won (at least in the main categories).  I think the best screenplay writer went to an American born and I'm not sure about Benjamin Button people....I'm assuming they are American born.....

Edited by apux - 23 February 2009 at 1:54pm

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Pradarshak

Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Its kind of amazing how people in India get so worked with minor details but actually ignore how close to reality the initial part of the movie is. And the story was written by Vikas Swarup, whom the entire nation is falling over themselves to cling to

1. There is a peice about the kids in the movie made to learn three musketeers. HAve these so called analysts forgotten the Indian education system that makes you read all these insane far-off irrelavant to India culture things that have zero value in real life(except maybe these quizes and game show hosts?) Nowhere in real life does what Hamlet say important that those quiz shows. So it was an interesting dig at the Education system there
2. There is an incident about the Can, come-on if you have travelled on those early morning locals on central or harbor lines you get to see those types of CANSLOL and well the fascination of stars is so legendary that the "incident" doesnt sound that crazyWink
3. The eye spooning incident. Ever wonder how so many of the kids who are beggars turn out to be blind or have physical deformity?
4.Ok how much is the likelihood in India(the land of great culturesWink)that a monkey comes to snatch a chappati and you would let him go saying he is God's avatar, but when a beggar kid tries to steal you will actually push him out of a running train

Yup you can always concentrate on how the kids miracalously learnt englishLOL

An analyst of Bollywood movie complaining that the script has such kind of flaws must have have some unique cocktail of liquor before penning such an articleWink

How many CHAI-WALAS or of same background with no formal education(at least paanchvi or aathvi pass) have become a millionaire or close to become a millionaire in the real "Kaun Banega Kadorepoti" show? How close is that to reality? You say the "how close to reality the initial part of the movie is". What's the initial concept/highlight - "the poor becoming rich through KBC" or the "poverty/child po*n/beggar industry"? The first one surely does not look to me close to reality, second one does exist. So it's clear what the intention was of the storyteller and the moviemaker.

A fictitious flawed movie focused on the some dark sides of third world society to woo the west added with bollywood spice for freshness. That's it!

Only "JAI HO" to Rehman.
 If you would have seen the movie you would have realized the fact(actually he goes on to state it like 5-6 times) I know these answers just b'cos of this, I have no clue what it means. To make it simple for people who  did not follow it he gave an example, Look I know there is a Benjamin Franklin on a $100 note, b'cos a life changing  incident in my life made me realize that. But there was no life changing incident in my life pertaining to a 1000 rupee note, so I dont know who is a 1000 rupee note.

The one thing that made me smirk with disbeleif was that a contestant is hauled out in the middle of a game show to be tortured and is asked how come he a chaiwalah knows these answers. This thread kind of proves anything is possibleWinkLOL

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 9:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Pradarshak

Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Its kind of amazing how people in India get so worked with minor details but actually ignore how close to reality the initial part of the movie is. And the story was written by Vikas Swarup, whom the entire nation is falling over themselves to cling to

1. There is a peice about the kids in the movie made to learn three musketeers. HAve these so called analysts forgotten the Indian education system that makes you read all these insane far-off irrelavant to India culture things that have zero value in real life(except maybe these quizes and game show hosts?) Nowhere in real life does what Hamlet say important that those quiz shows. So it was an interesting dig at the Education system there
2. There is an incident about the Can, come-on if you have travelled on those early morning locals on central or harbor lines you get to see those types of CANSLOL and well the fascination of stars is so legendary that the "incident" doesnt sound that crazyWink
3. The eye spooning incident. Ever wonder how so many of the kids who are beggars turn out to be blind or have physical deformity?
4.Ok how much is the likelihood in India(the land of great culturesWink)that a monkey comes to snatch a chappati and you would let him go saying he is God's avatar, but when a beggar kid tries to steal you will actually push him out of a running train

Yup you can always concentrate on how the kids miracalously learnt englishLOL

An analyst of Bollywood movie complaining that the script has such kind of flaws must have have some unique cocktail of liquor before penning such an articleWink

How many CHAI-WALAS or of same background with no formal education(at least paanchvi or aathvi pass) have become a millionaire or close to become a millionaire in the real "Kaun Banega Kadorepoti" show? How close is that to reality? You say the "how close to reality the initial part of the movie is". What's the initial concept/highlight - "the poor becoming rich through KBC" or the "poverty/child po*n/beggar industry"? The first one surely does not look to me close to reality, second one does exist. So it's clear what the intention was of the storyteller and the moviemaker.

A fictitious flawed movie focused on the some dark sides of third world society to woo the west added with bollywood spice for freshness. That's it!

Only "JAI HO" to Rehman.
@bold - one of the short and sweet summary... and guess what the people who feel this movie to be potrayal of dark side and shear exploitation....  are termed as ??? pessimistic NEGATIVE peopleLOL...DARK SIDE = Optimism???? ConfusedConfused LOL there should be a bigger Oscar  for pessimistic negative people thenLOLLOLLOL  In all i can just say...good for British Film industry..HELL NO this is NOT an Indian movie... this movie somehow reminds me of Kashif Memom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbkhgljO2Dc&feature=related) and LOL on the studio audience.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top