Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR? - Page 3

Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by ashoka_was_king

Yup
He must be enjoying the limelight ,
especially since light is scarce in the jungles of africa ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
(he is India's Deputy High Commissioner to South Africa)
I am sure his next book wld be eagerly awaited and may be other prospective Oscar aspirants queue up for the rights. I do hope๐Ÿ˜‰ its not destined to be on Africa๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Originally posted by realitybites

I am sure his next book wld be eagerly awaited and may be other prospective Oscar aspirants queue up for the rights. I do hope๐Ÿ˜‰ its not destined to be on Africa๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

it wouldn't be on Africa ,
he'd be fed up of those monstrous jungles ๐Ÿ˜†

as far as i know it is supposedly going to be a fictional story set in europe and the like
Originally posted by ashoka_was_king

it wouldn't be on Africa ,
he'd be fed up of those monstrous jungles ๐Ÿ˜†

as far as i know it is supposedly going to be a fictional story set in europe and the like
Thank God for small mercies๐Ÿ˜†. Hope this time some Indian Banner ( YashR or SurajB)takes the rights and makes it ala bollywood style. I am sure the European audience wld appreciate it๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‰
Edited by realitybites - 15 years ago
I def think SD will win a lot of oscars and ARR is def bringing the oscar home this time. The movie will win not bcoz of slums being shown which is a total misconception. Its bcoz of its treatment and the brilliant script and the way its taken combining a reality show and a person's real life experiences.

As for TZP not making the cut, in India, it might have been a unique concept which has never been touched before but in america there are and have been several moves made to show such kind of movies.

Also the way they showed hostel life esp boarding school life gave a total wrong impression evident when aamir came as a guest in srgmp and several people spoke abt how they as a parent felt so bad leaving their kids in boarding schools and after seeing the movie borught them back, thats ridiculous and a complete wrong picture and understanding of the movie.

as for SD, hope it wins many oscars, I am rooting for it , go SD
Originally posted by tina59

I def think SD will win a lot of oscars and ARR is def bringing the oscar home this time. The movie will win not bcoz of slums being shown which is a total misconception. Its bcoz of its treatment and the brilliant script and the way its taken combining a reality show and a person's real life experiences.

My feelings exactly! I'm hoping that ARR especially brings home the Oscar, even if this isn't his best work ever....the Oscars sometimes recognize a talent later than when it really deserved...so that's fine too.

As for the rest, I want the movie and Danny Boyle to win too cuz it is one of the rare movies in recent times whose narration style I was really impressed by and the direction was also fantastic! It is a story which just touches the heart....and that is what should be the basis of any great movie.

Vis a vis the accents of the grown up versions of Jamaal etc...that much is understandeable since the movie was in English....now if they were speaking Hindi in a broken British accent, that would have been more jarring.

I am just amazed that a non-Indian filmmaker managed to capture the HEART of India so well in a movie!
Edited by nureat01 - 15 years ago
Ask not IF it will win an Oscar, but ask how MANY Oscars will it win๐Ÿ˜Š

Good luck to the whole team of SDM๐Ÿ‘

Edited by bheegi - 15 years ago
Honestly...the film isnt "all that" and i really don't know why this film so so hyped about?! ๐Ÿ˜•

Yea its based on a novel...bout a poor guy...growing up loving the girl since childhhood n stuff...kids done great acting etc...but the story line isnt that much different yaar....yea we see how these kids travel across the country makes money by stealing stuff some turns good...some of them turns out bad......its like everyday life..not something out of the ordinary....idk but this film sorts of reminds me of TRAFFIC SIGNAL where the story focues on the lives of the people of Dharavi and how make their everyday living
Edited by ThE_kHan07 - 15 years ago
Originally posted by nureat01

My feelings exactly! I'm hoping that ARR especially brings home the Oscar, even if this isn't his best work ever....the Oscars sometimes recognize a talent later than when it really deserved...so that's fine too.

As for the rest, I want the movie and Danny Boyle to win too cuz it is one of the rare movies in recent times whose narration style I was really impressed by and the direction was also fantastic! It is a story which just touches the heart....and that is what should be the basis of any great movie.

Vis a vis the accents of the grown up versions of Jamaal etc...that much is understandeable since the movie was in English....now if they were speaking Hindi in a broken British accent, that would have been more jarring.

I am just amazed that a non-Indian filmmaker managed to capture the HEART of India so well in a movie!

If you think so, then a lot of credit goes to the cast-director cum co-director cum dialogue writer(hindi part) Loveleen Tandon.
@Pradarshak: Ohhh.....yes, I remember her name being mentioned by Danny Boyle and the others at the awards shows....That makes sense then....having an indian co-director really helped in adding to the authenticity of the Indian aspects....and the casting was just brilliant! Especially the kids!
Originally posted by tina59

As for TZP not making the cut, in India, it might have been a unique concept which has never been touched before but in america there are and have been several moves made to show such kind of movies.

Also the way they showed hostel life esp boarding school life gave a total wrong impression evident when aamir came as a guest in srgmp and several people spoke abt how they as a parent felt so bad leaving their kids in boarding schools and after seeing the movie borught them back, thats ridiculous and a complete wrong picture and understanding of the movie.

Brilliant Script.... can point out n no. of loopholes in the script. Good camera-work ....no doubt about that, kids' street-smart  acting(which our Indian directors rarely exploit or they don't want to) and the story-telling is fast, other than that comparing SDM and TZP, TZP scores ahead.

Surely will be happy for ARR if he wins. But for the movie, if it is going to win, it will for the SLUM TREATMENT given to the movie.