Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 25

Page 1
Page   of 25
Page 2 Page 25

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged
Sorry(if you are already tired of debating in the other thread) for starting another thread on SDM, though a different question. After winning 4 Golden Globes, do you think it will win Oscars too? If so or otherwise, what's your view on SDM as a  front-runner movie for Oscars? How do YOU rate it as a movie?

Your views????

Edited by Pradarshak - 24 January 2009 at 12:38am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog Millionaire worth of winning OSCAR?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

RUSmart

RUSmart

Posted: 24 January 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged

Fortunately it will win about 5 to 6 Oscars. Unfortunately for India the Movie "Taare Zameen Par" was eliminatedfromthe nominations. This movie of Aamir Khan was much more deserving that Slumdog Millionare.

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 24 January 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by RUSmart

Fortunately it will win about 5 to 6 Oscars. Unfortunately for India the Movie "Taare Zameen Par" was eliminatedfromthe nominations. This movie of Aamir Khan was much more deserving that Slumdog Millionare.

TZP could have had a shot at getting nominated had "Ishaan" being a kid from SLUM/DHARAVI and the teacher a  dedicated GOREY social worker and length of the movie cut short. Whatever, we are proud of TZP from the perfectionist Khan.

Edited by Pradarshak - 24 January 2009 at 2:26pm

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 January 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
For the technical aspects and for the score, I think Slumdog is worthy of winning a few Oscars. I have not seen any of the other best picture nominated movies, so I cannot really say if Slumdog wins. From feedback I hear from people, Benjamin Button is a better movie - but I don't know as I have not seen it yet. While I think Slumdog is an excellent movie and I would love to see it win best movie at Oscars too - it lacks the punch some movies like Crash had.

BTW I am rooting for MIA to win a grammy for Paper Planes.

As for TZP, I think it would have had a better chance if it was a blind deaf quadraplegic autistic child  - because practically every other American is a pill popping mildly dyslexic suffering from acute ADD. They are all Ishaans sans the talent.

Edited by return_to_hades - 24 January 2009 at 8:44pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 24 January 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged

del

Edited by qwertyesque - 07 February 2009 at 11:32pm

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 24 January 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
I dont think its a Gr8 movie!........but the way they present the story..directed so nicely....SmileI think AR hv chance win Oscar this timeBig smile

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 25 January 2009 at 2:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

As for TZP, I think it would have had a better chance if it was a blind deaf quadraplegic autistic child  - because practically every other American is a pill popping mildly dyslexic suffering from acute ADD. They are all Ishaans sans the talent.

completely agree!  Just look into the American public school system, you'll find many Ishaans!  A story about autistic child would be far more appealing to the West because this disorder still has many unanswered questions. 

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 25 January 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged
I dont care if TZP is nominated or winning the oscar, It has done a fabulous job, a country where problems with kids disabilities have been shoved away as God's wrath, it was an accomplishment. The fact that Aamir staying with the concept all through the end was awesome, It was more awesome that the film did so well. The movie was an excellent effort to demonstrate why just being a doctor/engineer does not qualify a child to be succesful. t would make fine sense of me to say oh if the movie wasnt about a kid who is dyslexic it would have been successfulWink

Coming to Slumdog Millionaire. If I the Indian within me was pulling for someone to win a Oscar about a Indian subject. It would be "Smile Pinki" http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dTAgx2j2c

Yeah I want SDM to win Oscars for Jai Ho for Gulzar and ARR, although it isnt even remotely the best work either one has done, so technically it aint worth it either and that is the best nomination up there

Rest  dont care, ain't worth it, others have done a much better job.

Edited by chal_phek_mat - 25 January 2009 at 7:36am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top