Debate Mansion

Politicians.....learn from America (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 7:40am | IP Logged
I dont think we need to look upto US politicians. The US society and policies are way difft than what exist in India. Here every state has its own unique milieu and ethos which requires a separate approach is devised. India does have corrupt politicians so do other countries but its just we have a larger share. Yes there is casteism, regionalism but thats the way people identify and feel bonded. With so much diversity prevalent and a huge population, what can be just one common binding factor? The good sign is slowly the society is changing and accepting the divisive issues.

Here is an interesting article:

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Politicians.....learn from America (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Every country deserves the government/leaders it deserves, that I think was said by Aristotle and applies 100% to India

Manmohan Singh cant get elected to even save his life, and he is far more qualified as a individual to be a leader than Barack Obama, and that speaks volumes about the citizens of India. But Manmohan Singh was elected as a the Prime Minister of India by the politicians, that talks enough of a judgement of the politicians

More than 90% of India's elected contests go by the caste/religion of the candidate. If a candidate is of the wrong religion/caste the citizens of the country wont elect him and still those same 90% will say caste system is bad

There is a electoral contest, A man who fights to stave of caste system, who is a poineer for fight against superstitions, who is a orator who will wake up even the dead people loses his deposit against a politician who hands out bicycles/money to people who vote for him.

What is Barack Obama, he is a polished version of Pramod Mahajan or any good leader in India, promise the world to get elected, doesnt matter whether the promises are something you can keep

You talk about Lal Bahadur Shastri, he was a gift to India from the generation who won us our freedom. Today we have citizens who like to whine, whine, whine, dont show up for elections and whine, whine and whine

The biggest hypocrites are
1. The NRI's who whine about things but when they return to homeland, go back to their old habits. If you disbeleive me, take a poll on a plane about to land in any International airport about corruption and then have someone pose as a customs agent asking for a bribe for a smooth clearing from customs
2. The Educated folks in India, who will complain about how bad politics is, but find every excuse not to show up for the voting process
3. The media who shamelessly pander to their interest while reporting, they keep on ridiculing a man who turns a multicrore loss company into a  multicrore profit company just because he dresses and talks weird

The poor or the minorities vote by their votebank for the person they most identify with(in short who offers them most goodies) and the educated folks keep whining about people who get elected.

The people who really need to learn are the educated folks who need to learn from the poor or the Americans to go and vote by their single important issues

America was in financial trouble they voted for a democratic novice over a war vet
America hated the man who got them excellent economic times and voted for someone running on better morals over a man of reason
America voted for the guy they thought was a moron but delivering on their security over someone who is a war vet but waffling on security
America when in bad financial times ditched a war veteran at the time of war and voted for a democratic novice who promised economic solace.
Well Said!! ClapClap 

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by sandya_rao7

Obama has till now only proved that he is a good orator, a good poilitician he has yet to prove. like it really amazes me to see people paying thousands of $ to hear his speech. we in india would never do such a thing.
as far as MMS is concerned he is the most educated PM of the world and so was APJ.
unfortunately in india polittics is so spoilt that only criminals can survive here. at the most actors or sons/ daughters of poticians. comman man is scared of joining politics here. like and educated IITan or an IIM passout wont join politics.
there are good examples also like Umar Abdulla or say better examples in india.

True that.  I agree with everything you posted up here.

I have nothing against Obama but I am holding my views till I see some results from him.  He promised a lot.  Let's see what all he delivers now.....that is, if he does deliver something.

Exactly!! Two days in the office, yet my loans, car payments are not paid, what on earth is he doing???WinkLOL will wait it to happen before comparing anyone with Mr. O.. tha ROCK STAR!!

gin_ger_ale

Groupbie

gin_ger_ale

Posted: 24 January 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Every country deserves the government/leaders it deserves, that I think was said by Aristotle and applies 100% to India

Was it not Plato?
Manmohan Singh cant get elected to even save his life, and he is far more qualified as a individual to be a leader than Barack Obama, and that speaks volumes about the citizens of India. But Manmohan Singh was elected as a the Prime Minister of India by the politicians, that talks enough of a judgement of the politicians

More than 90% of India's elected contests go by the caste/religion of the candidate. If a candidate is of the wrong religion/caste the citizens of the country wont elect him and still those same 90% will say caste system is bad

There is a electoral contest, A man who fights to stave of caste system, who is a poineer for fight against superstitions, who is a orator who will wake up even the dead people loses his deposit against a politician who hands out bicycles/money to people who vote for him.

It reminds me of the time when BJP's Ram Naik  was pitted against Govinda(Hindi movie actor). Although liquor/cash may not have helped the case.

What is Barack Obama, he is a polished version of Pramod Mahajan or any good leader in India, promise the world to get elected, doesnt matter whether the promises are something you can keep

You talk about Lal Bahadur Shastri, he was a gift to India from the generation who won us our freedom. Today we have citizens who like to whine, whine, whine, dont show up for elections and whine, whine and whine

The biggest hypocrites are
1. The NRI's who whine about things but when they return to homeland, go back to their old habits. If you disbeleive me, take a poll on a plane about to land in any International airport about corruption and then have someone pose as a customs agent asking for a bribe for a smooth clearing from customs
2. The Educated folks in India, who will complain about how bad politics is, but find every excuse not to show up for the voting process
3. The media who shamelessly pander to their interest while reporting, they keep on ridiculing a man who turns a multicrore loss company into a  multicrore profit company just because he dresses and talks weird

I can't figure out who you are talking about here.
The poor or the minorities vote by their votebank for the person they most identify with(in short who offers them most goodies) and the educated folks keep whining about people who get elected.

The people who really need to learn are the educated folks who need to learn from the poor or the Americans to go and vote by their single important issues

America was in financial trouble they voted for a democratic novice over a war vet
America hated the man who got them excellent economic times and voted for someone running on better morals over a man of reason
America voted for the guy they thought was a moron but delivering on their security over someone who is a war vet but waffling on security
America when in bad financial times ditched a war veteran at the time of war and voted for a democratic novice who promised economic solace.

ClapWell written!

Obama is a good orator and it is yet to be seen what changes he can bring. So I don't see how/what politicians of India can learn from politicians/president/people of America?

ManMohan Singh is more of an economist than a politician. All the same, I am happy he is still the face on INC for upcoming general elections. If it changes owing to his health, I dread what would happen unless this party is not voted into power.

Had the two politicians who died unnatural deaths prior to the last general elections been alive, we might have not seen MMS as the PM. To all those who think we do not have any young leaders worthy of being in Indian politics, below are some who are creating flutters if not waves.Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotiraditya_Scindia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachin_Pilot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Abdullah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varun_Gandhi

chal_phek_mat, since you mentioned Pramod Mahajan, I remember a few of his age group/time who were pretty good orators and may have gone on to become good leaders.

chal_phek_mat, I agree with you and will go on to say it is easy to whine or write passionately(as I love to do) than to get into the muddy waters of Indian politics.Wink

RUSmart

RUSmart

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 4:31am | IP Logged

Chal_phek_mat. Who educates the "CITIZENS". Obviously they are these corrupt politicians. It is 62 years since India got its independance,but even today we talk about the caste system. Yes the caste system has been in India since centuries, but who introduced this system?

The Political system in India has to change. Like gin_ger_ale puts it there are many young politicians Like the Scindia, Pilot and Omar Abdullah. Good. That is what is wanted. But when we talk about Sharad Pawar opting for the PMs post, then how many years will it take for the younger generation to get to the PMs post?

gin_ger_ale

Groupbie

gin_ger_ale

Posted: 26 January 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by RUSmart

Chal_phek_mat. Who educates the "CITIZENS". Obviously they are these corrupt politicians. It is 62 years since India got its independance,but even today we talk about the caste system. Yes the caste system has been in India since centuries, but who introduced this system?

The Political system in India has to change. Like gin_ger_ale puts it there are many young politicians Like the Scindia, Pilot and Omar Abdullah. Good. That is what is wanted. But when we talk about Sharad Pawar opting for the PMs post, then how many years will it take for the younger generation to get to the PMs post?

@RUSmart: 2009 may be the year! There is a certain Gandhi who might dethrone the current PM.Wink

Post Reply New Post

Go to top