Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

EkPaheli

IF-Sizzlerz

EkPaheli

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 5:48am | IP Logged
guys it seems like such a refreshing change to not only have a truly new wave on TV by shows such as BV but m glad tht the producers of the show have emboldened Indian TV

so good 2 see tht they r using the popularity of d show in the right direction by inculcating not only a social n a thought provoking issue such as child marriage but a huge taboo on Indian tv such as menstruation 

i think now tht they have showed anandi' coming of age thru her periods perhaps in a forst of its kind thing we may also see jagya' maturity  thru his sexual maturation

he may get some ideas thru his friends n all so perhaps on a  indian show we mayget to witness the display of a topic which for some reason is still considered a taboo

i hope they show something of this topic as well so tht parents who are still shy may get d message tht its of utmost importance for their own kid's future tht thy discuss this topic as well n let go off the shame or restrictions which deprive kids of a valuable n vital lesson in their growing up which leads them to other means to satisfy their curiosity which is certainly a dangerous route to take as ignorance may not always be bliss

Edited by aahana86 - 21 January 2009 at 5:49am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Sex education in balika vadhu" in Balika Vadhu forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

universe_megha

Goldie

universe_megha

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 6:30am | IP Logged
seriously.. i dont why this idea is prevalent in our country that having periods is a hush-hush thing.. n menses shud not be talked about! instead we shud try and make even boys sensitive to the issue.. that ways they would learn to respect and appreciate this.. instead of making fun of it and the girls wen they have it!

menses is a gift of god.. without which no woman can concieve.. and the orthodox mentality leads ppl to believe that it is a taboo!! not only the teens.. but even older generation needs to understand this!

on one hand dadisaa uses her sons to keep her family's name goin n rejoices wenever any of her bahu is pregnant.. and on the other hand she is so damn orthodox wen it comes to anandi having her periods! wat double standards!!

sushmac

Groupbie

sushmac

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged
I have noticed in the US that parents actually celebrate when a girl has her periods. Because it means that she has grown up and it is a sign of adulthood. Plus, it shows that everything is normal and she will be able to conceive in teh future. I know of one aunt who never had any children. I found out years later that she only used to get her periods twice a year.

desi_angel101

desi_angel101

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged
in a country like india where as i'm typing this sentence probably a hundred or so kids are being born the fact that sex ed is a taboo is not only dangerous but such a hypocracy in a way...my mom tells me about the exact same things that in her family whenever girls got their periods they were considered dirty/untouchable which to me does not make sense...my parents are pretty cool bout it tho like they weren't weird about it or anything...and as for the other things, well i learned most of that in school/friends (living in canada u find these things out more from there than anywhere else) but my parents r very shy about talking bout it but if they have to then they do...like more indian parents need to do that...and this taboo of anything to do with sex, growing up, etc. really needs to be removed

MonMad

Goldie

MonMad

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged
Sex - ed should be a talked about and every Indian or Indian American parent should take it upon themselves to expose these things to children themselves rather than they getting to know all this from their peers.  Children should have more confidence in their parents than peers, only then they will not get into bad company and will confide in their parents all the time.

dhawanashu

Groupbie

dhawanashu

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged
unlike what my friends above have mentioned, I am against the idea of such things being openly shown on TV that too on prime slot serials. As in my case I have a 5 1/2 year old daughter who is a die hard fan of this serial. But I think it is not her age to see such things which are being shown in this serial. Initially when this serial had started everything seemed good, but slowly they are showing things which is not good for kids of her age to view. Though she will not understand much of it, but I know that she has many innocent questions, which often she keeps asking and I keep avoiding.

How do you answer a 6 year old, why a girl is not being allowed to enter the kitchen or why she is being asked to stay alone and sleep on the floor. Such eduction is important but not on national TV and that too on prime time serials. Ours is a joint family and we all sit together to watch certain programs. But it becomes difficult to see such things together with elder brother in law and others sitting together. I think such education can be given to children at an appropriate time and by other means.  Openly showing such things of TV is not a great thing that is being done by the serial makers. such things put a negative impression on small kids and might make them mature well before time.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

khadija09

Haviva

Haviva

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 2:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by dhawanashu

unlike what my friends above have mentioned, I am against the idea of such things being openly shown on TV that too on prime slot serials. As in my case I have a 5 1/2 year old daughter who is a die hard fan of this serial. But I think it is not her age to see such things which are being shown in this serial. Initially when this serial had started everything seemed good, but slowly they are showing things which is not good for kids of her age to view. Though she will not understand much of it, but I know that she has many innocent questions, which often she keeps asking and I keep avoiding.

How do you answer a 6 year old, why a girl is not being allowed to enter the kitchen or why she is being asked to stay alone and sleep on the floor. Such eduction is important but not on national TV and that too on prime time serials. Ours is a joint family and we all sit together to watch certain programs. But it becomes difficult to see such things together with elder brother in law and others sitting together. I think such education can be given to children at an appropriate time and by other means.  Openly showing such things of TV is not a great thing that is being done by the serial makers. such things put a negative impression on small kids and might make them mature well before time.

Well I disagree with you that a 6 year old should not learn about this. Because with the environment we are living in the children enter their adulthood much faster then our parents/ grand parents must have entered. Hence it is perfectly fine for her to know everything about maturity before she enters that stage. If she is not mentally prepared she may get scared when she does, and explaining her at that time is not a good thing.

And so what if you watch this programme with full family, it brings family awareness only. But if you take a positive approach there is nothing wrong in it. I watch these programmes with my Mother in Law as well as my younger sister in Law. We do not feel that these things should not be brought on television at prime slot. In fact we are happy that such awareness is spreading through prime slot.

Well sorry if you felt I am wrong, but just tried to explain things in a different view, and I do have a daughter as well who is 3 1/2 year of age, and I am sure once she grows to be 6-7 years, I shall advise her everything myself then she learning from school. As I have friends whose daughters entered maturity at age of 9 or 10.

Roben

Goldie

Roben

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 2:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by dhawanashu

I actually agree with you, i think they should teach this stuff in schools as they do here in Canada. It does get hard to watch this stuff on tv when the whole family including dad and elder brother are there, but i also think that in India it is a bit too much, like not to go in the kitchen this n that, the only thing i follow is that  i dont go to  the temple unless i shower n got right away.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top