Debate Mansion

Opinions on Obama's Inauguration speech (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

SuhanaSafar

IF-Rockerz

SuhanaSafar

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 4:20pm | IP Logged
I really enjoyed his speech, but didn't find it to be anything spectacular.  I guess I'm starting to expect nothing but the utmost eloquence from him, so I doubt if I'll ever be as impressed as I was initially.  I loved his shout out to all religions and people of the world.  I'm really hoping for great things from him...but I'll try not to set my expectations too high.  Anyway, anything should be better than the last eight years, right?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Opinions on Obama's Inauguration speech (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bheegi

Me too! My son told me he gave a high five to his friend in class when her heard 'hindus'Big smile

I feel Hindus are kinda ignored against the big three (Christians, Jews, Muslims) by American leaders...so it was nice to be acknowledged!  My atheist co-worker felt bad that she wasn't recognized but then my brother said that President Obama also mentioned non-believers as well...See, Obama likes to include everyoneLOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 7:13pm | IP Logged
Obama is a true wordsmith. With his charismatic personality and personal style this speech will probably go down as one of the most memorable political speeches. In style of speech Obama does not remind me of someone loud and assertive like a JFK or MLK.

In fact for me it is mind bogglingly eeries of how many parallels I can draw between Obama and Abraham Lincoln. Of course I never saw Lincoln speak, but from historic texts and archives Lincoln was not your typical electrifying speaker. He was a softer slower speaker, sombre and stoic, yet empathetic and emotive to connect with the audiences. With the uncanny ability to emphasise and highlight the right words. Obama's speech to me reminded me of elements from Lincoln's 'House Divided Speech' and "Gettysburg Address".

For some people it maybe difficult to grasp why American's are all head over heels over a mere presidential election that takes place every four years. The thing is that for us this is historic. A few years ago I did not expect that I would ever live to see the first non white president, even a female president or vice president sounded ridiculous. Non only did we see a multiracial man win, but we saw two strong women make a mark in the contest. Atheists, Hindus etc and other minority religions were frustrated that the Bush era had changed this country to 'Jesusland', I had lost hope that a more centrist person could ever come to power. For the rest of the world it is just another change of power. For many Americans it is history in the making.

As for placing Obama on a pedestal and worshipping him. I am against it. He is human after all, and that means he is flawed and will stumble many times. For years the Bush govt has been feeding us cheap ramen noodles, when Obama promises a change in menu we like greedy fools are thinking of a three course five star restaurant elegant meal - with waiters to constantly serve on us. In reality what Obama offers is a simple midwestern diner meal. Simple everyday needs to get our nation back on track.

Just like the Lincoln era paid the price for its change - abolishment - we have to be willing to be paying the prices for our era.

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged
well well well............

i think , what has his mentioning a religion , got to do with us feeling good or bad ??

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........

Indeed, i guess religion should always be kept out of any affair,
cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

PS -> i have seen broad minded , intelligent people suddenly become so narrow minded when the talks begin about to religion........its beyond my understanding !!!
It seems i have deviated a bit from the topic, but i thought it was necessary Big smile

apux

IF-Rockerz

apux

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 7:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ashoka_was_king

i think , what has his mentioning a religion , got to do with us feeling good or bad ?? 

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........I wouldn't be offend if he didn't mention my religion....It was just nice to know that Obama acknowledged how diverse our country is in race and religion!

cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif Okay, there wasn't anything offensive about the Prez MENTIONING the different religions in America...it's not like he's gonna use the different religious views as a guide for his public policies

PS -> i have seen broad minded , intelligent people suddenly become so narrow minded when the talks begin about to religion........its beyond my understanding !!!  Me tooLOL
It seems i have deviated a bit from the topic, but i thought it was necessary Big smile

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by apux

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........I wouldn't be offend if he didn't mention my religion....It was just nice to know that Obama acknowledged how diverse our country is in race and religion!

Arey , if he hadn't mentioned Hindus , then do u think , Obama would not have acknowledge how diverse your country is ??LOL
Anyways i got the point LOLLOL
But what i want to say is , this is not an important enough line to focus all our attention onto !!Big smile

cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif Okay, there wasn't anything offensive about the Prez MENTIONING the different religions in America...it's not like he's gonna use the different religious views as a guide for his public policies

I wasn't talking about the speech there Tongue
I think i should have said religion should be kept out of affairs , wherever possible !!

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged
i like him..cos he said talking about religions - christains, moslems, jews and HINDUS!!!!!! obama rocks... all of india for obama....

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........

cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

PS -> i have seen broad minded , intelligent people suddenly become so narrow minded when the talks begin about to religion........its beyond my understanding !!!

for one..there is ahope he will kick a** pakistan and keep india neighborhood pest free...

Edited by qwertyesque - 21 January 2009 at 8:38pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top