Twilight

‘When He Talks, He Blushes’:-Robert

mallika_14 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago

'When He Talks, He Blushes': Full Clarin.com Interview

While preparing to film the second installment, New Moon, the protagonists of the successful film adaptation of Twilight, the first of four novels about teenage vampires by Stephenie Meyer, tell how success has changed their lives.

"Let's make it clear: I wouldn't want to be immortal for anything in the world," said a smiling Robert Pattinson, who was condemned to perpetuate the role of Edward Cullen, the romantic vampire in Twilight, since they chose him to put body and face to a famous literary figure among adolescents around the world. "No one can prepare for this instant popularity," says Rob. "I used to walk down the street quietly, now girls come who want you to bite their necks. Literally. Can you imagine? A girl of 8, 9 years who stops you and offers you her neck asking for a bite. It's crazy."

It is true that nothing or no one could have prepared him for this. The young Londoner of 22 years, the son of a car dealer and a model, began acting at age 15, and then his agent got him the role of Cedric Diggory in one of the Harry Potter movies (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2005). Keeping a low profile and drawn to more home-bound pursuits, such as preferring to stay at home playing the piano or watching movies before going to clubs, Rob was surprised when he was called in London from Los Angeles for the casting of Twilight.

The director (Catherine Hardwicke) had seen him in Harry Potter, but she still wasn't sure. She took him and the female protagonist, teenager Kristen Stewart, to her home in Venice Beach, and made them act out the romantic scenes. Chemistry, said everyone involved, was instantaneous. And Pattinson's life took a 180-degree turn. From a young man with little success with women (if you believe him) he went on to become one of People magazine's sexiest people of 2008 and the object of desire for early adolescents of all languages.

"I had not read the book and when I did I thought I would not be able to play Edward. The author (Stephenie Meyer) describes him as perfect, so beautiful that he does not seem human. Luckily in the script they were a little more flexible and I could imagine myself in that body. I'm not as romantic or as idealistic as he is. I think the only thing that unites us is a passion for the extremes, with Edward everything must be white or black, and I too am like that."

Meanwhile, for the interview, conducted a few weeks before the premiere of the film, Pattinson had cut a little bit of the golden brown hair that marks his character, against the wishes of film company executives. "I don't wash it for weeks," he lies shamelessly, even though the product that stirs around his head in flogger style gives his hair a healthier look. A look that links him with Johnny Depp, one of his favorite actors, with whom he shares another interest: singing. One of his songs, Never Think, made it onto the soundtrack of the film, although he does not intend to engage in music professionally.

"I would love to have Depp's career, I would love to do the same, combine the popular with the independent," he said. However, it remains clear that his favorite actor of all time is Jack Nicholson. "There is no film of his that bores you. Everyone makes bad movies, even Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, but Jack Nicholson has never made a bad movie. I've been obsessed with him since I was a boy. He's been my hero since I was seven years old."

It seems he's trying for a career that combines the massive with the indie, so soon after filming in Barcelona the film Little Ashes, about the friendship between the young Luis Buuel, Salvador Dal, and Federico Garca Lorca. Pattinson was lucky to be portraying Dal and he says he fell in love with the character. "He was a genius. I felt very free learning to be him. I started painting, I'd never done it before, I did it pretending that I was Dal. It was one of the most intense roles of my career. The bad thing is that I didn't learn to speak Spanish, despite being surrounded by Spaniards."

Although in photos he was seen going shopping in the city, flying around behind the wheel of an Audi convertible, he still insists that he maintains simple tastes and that he still owns a two-thousand-dollar car which he bought upon arriving in Hollywood.

Robert Pattinson says that he likes to travel a lot, that a few years ago he fell in love with Berlin and that he'd love to see Buenos Aires. "One of the movies I'm negotiating includes a trip to Argentina: it's a western and I think that we'll go to use the Argentinian skies. I hope so," he says, without wanting to give more details.
Rob has a shy look, he likes to define himself as "a loner". In profile, with his hands on his head and his blue eyes, he looks like a model. When he talks, he blushes, which sets him apart from his fictional image. On screen, Edward Cullen is almost frigid. His skin glows like diamonds when he's in the sun. His eyes darken when he's thirsty. Even in his destiny as a "good vampire", he and his family have decided to feed off animal blood and not human blood.

Rob also likes to define himself as clumsy. He notes that during one of the first scenes he badly hurt the heroine's stunt double, when he was supposed to stop a car that was threatening to flatten her. But that was nothing. "On the first day that I had to do a scene with Kristen, I had to come in flying, attached to cables, and lift her off the ground. I missed and dropped her. It was painfully embarrassing," he confesses. And he said it was the same for everything, even football. A fan of the Amsterdam football club in London, he stopped playing football at the end of secondary school because he always ended up injured.

While trying to digest his sudden fame, Robert Pattinson is preparing to recreate his character once again in the sequel to Twilight, called New Moon, which will be directed by Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass). Once again he will have to play a dangerous game with Bella Swan, the teenager that loves Edward but is afraid of turning into a vampire if passion takes over. Edward has been 17 for over a hundred years, and he does not want to share that lonely fate with Bella.

"To me, Twilight is the perfect metaphor for sexual abstinence," the actor reflects. "It is why teenagers find it very disturbing, in some ways all of this work to make something concrete between them ends up being sexy. I don't know. The only thing I'm certain of is that Edward is trapped in hell. Again, I wouldn't want to be him."

http://www.robert-pattinson.co.uk/?p=7997#more-7997-source
Edited by mallika_14 - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MasterKatara18 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Lmao! He's clumsy?? 🤣 I feel his pain😳😆 He's such a sweetheart!😳 Its just sad that he wouldnt wanna be Edward Cullen considering he is PERFECT for that😔 But nevertheless, I still adore him.

Thanks Mallika for this post.

Ambrosia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
goshh i love him soo much.When will he realize that he is born to be Edward cullen,just perfect.
PrInCeZz07 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
hey
wow thanks so much for posting
aww i love robert
his soo cute
and yh he was born to be edward
mysterygurl1427 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Rob is perfect!!!! He needs to know that HE is Edward Cullen....the perfect edward cullen!!!!

Based on all of the things i have read and watched about him shows that he is an awesome person to hang out with. He is fun and down to earth....he is cute and just an amazing actor....i don't care what people say about him. He is hott and always will be my edward cullen.
noha450 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
awww he's sooo adorable❤️
Little Foot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Aww! How cute can he get!😳 Ahhh! BERLIN!?😲 I should visit this city more often.😆

TFS