Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged
I've often heard that P&P and Emma are Jane Austen's best works. Which do you like better? Honestly, I've never read Emma, so I can't make a decision yet, but I started it, and it's pretty good so far.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Pride and Prejudice or Emma?" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

cityoflights

IF-Veteran Member

cityoflights

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by godisone

I've often heard that P&P and Emma are Jane Austen's best works. Which do you like better? Honestly, I've never read Emma, so I can't make a decision yet, but I started it, and it's pretty good so far.

P&P....I just love that book!!! It's amazing, I'm even writing a Camp Rock fic based on the plot!LOLLOL

Eloquent

IF-Veteran Member

Eloquent

Posted: 20 January 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged
PnP I guess. Emma has the tendency to bore you a bit as half the time Emma is running all around trying to make other people fall in love.

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
I haven't read either, but I started Emma once but was really bored that didn't finish.

Are they interesting?

-Mahi

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

I haven't read either, but I started Emma once but was really bored that didn't finish.

Are they interesting?

-Mahi

I don't know about Emma, as I haven't read it yet, but Pride and Prejudice is AMAZING! In fact, it's my favorite book. I definitely recommend it. Here's a little summary on it.

20 year old Elizabeth Bennet is vivacious, witty, and full of life. She has an older sister: 22 year old Jane Bennet, and three younger sisters: 18 year old Mary Bennet, 16 year old Catherine (Kitty) Bennet, and 15 year old Lydia Bennet. Set on marrying only for love and not for mere convenience like was expected of young women during the Regency Era, Elizabeth and Jane make a vow never to enter into a loveless marriage, though their matchmaking mother tries to get Elizabeth married with her cousin, Mr. Collins, to whom their home, Longbourne, is entailed.
At an assembly, the Bennet family meets the rich young man who rented the neighboroing house of Netherfield, Charles Bingley. Along with him, his two elder sisters: Luisa Hurst and Caroline Bingley, and his close friend, the even richer Fitzwilliam Darcy, are introduced to the townspeople. Mrs. Bennet makes up her mind that Charles Bingley must be prevailed upon to soon marry her daughter Jane, and she doesn't find it too hard, for it soon becomes clear that Bingley and Jane are attracted to each other.
When Mr. Darcy refuses to dance with Elizabeth, on the grounds that she is "tolerable" but not pretty enough to tempt him, Elizabeth makes up her mind that he is the last person on Earth she will ever marry. The rest of the book is about how obstacles enter the relationship of Bingley and Jane, and how Elizabeth's opinion of Darcy eventually changes.

It's a really great book.Big smile You should definitely give it a try.Tongue

umrao_jaan

Goldie

umrao_jaan

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 4:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Mystery-

Are they interesting?

-Mahi

Both are interesting. I think its the lingo that makes it boring-the same thing happens to me. I usually read simplified versions for the first readSmile.

I prefer PnP.I like Elizabeth's character and there's such a variety of characters, I've also read Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park. Altogether my favourite Jane Austen book is SnSTongue.

Jess.

IF-Veteran Member

Jess.

Posted: 23 January 2009 at 7:23pm | IP Logged
Never read Emma but i read Pride and Prejudice for school...gotta write an essay nowLOL

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 25 January 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged
Lalitha - Thanks for the summary! I'll give a try!

Eran - Yeah maybe the language is the reason.  I'll try to get my hands on one of the simpler versions too.

-Mahi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top