Is Slumdog a Indian Film? (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 24

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

RTH I enjoyed reading your post very much. I think it sums the movie up really well-British film with an Indian heart.
And who would know this more than a Mumbaikar :)

I gotta disagree on some points people have made though. The way the world is moving right now, people DO believe what they see in the media, people DO believe movies that look real to life and generalise and in this modern day and time I can't help but say it is normal! I'm not saying we look at one person and generalise but when in the West for example we see movies that one after another continue to portray a certain place or even person in a certain way, because we see it so many times, we begin to believe it too no matter how many sides there are to a story. I can't and will not ever deny the existence of slums in India, its just it made me wonder while having a discussion about SDM when people said (not in a mallicious way) that "they think they saw the reality and how things really are". Slums exist and it is part Bharat's reality, but those people are also part of our reality who don't live on streets and actually have a roof over their head whom believe it or not aren't millionaires but an average middle class Indian. Its a shame some of these comments came from some Bangladeshis whom out of all people i thought would know better, clearly not.

Just wanna conclude with a thought of a friend of mine in one of our old religious education classes when we were talking about poverty. A classmate of african origin said that she feels so shocked when the whole world views Africa as such a poor continent and although she doesn't deny the frequent dying due to poverty..starvation etc, she also said that only she knows that when she goes back to Africa, her whole country isn't like that at all -like full of poor people at all but just over-exaggerated due to the influence of the media etc.

This is exactly how I feel about India.

I won't deny that many people assume the media portrayal to be the truth. There is a good share of Americans here who think India is a country of snake charmers who rely on elephants as a primary source of transportation. They ask dumb questions about India to which I answer with scathing sarcasm.

On the whole with the technology era, where the world is more connected people are becoming more aware. Movies and news is not the only source. People have the opportunity to access foreign media online, through discussion forums they connect to people across the world and get a taste of what local culture really is like.

When it comes to countries like India, China and the likes; I feel most of the west is in a confused state due to the high contrast in our history, culture etc. They constantly hear about India and China becoming the next superpower. Economic reports show the economy growing.(media) They lose their jobs to us and feel that it is taking from their mouth and giving us a big deal (their silly assumption). Then Indians and mostly all Asians who live abroad push academic, economic and work success. They portray their countries as ones with rich history and culture, lots of wealth, upper middle class lifestyle so a 'new age' image of these countries is impressed. (our fault). Then they see a movie like Slumdog and since many have never been to India are confused on what to draw as a 'Real Picture'. I feel it is ultimately up to all Indians to portray our country in a realistic manner. Our government, our people, everyone who represents us on the global scale even in the littlest scale should not - take pride in our country's greatness, but do acknowledge the harsh realities too.

Funny you mention Africa. I was talking to my sister about this thread and she was talking about how it must hurt Africans to see their portrayed. If Indians are sensitive about Slumdog, Africans must be depressed and devastated. People view Africa as such a poverty and Aids stricken country. It is true, but there is a rustic beauty to Africa. People think I am joking when I say the most breathaking parts of the Nile are in Uganda & Sudan. Eastern Europe has the same issue. People just view the region as home of prostitutes and brides for sale.

I might be being idealistic when I say people do not believe in the media. Most rational people ought to rise above the media and use the information we have at our fingertips. But then common sense is not that common really.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog a Indian Film? (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 7:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sandya_rao7

All said and done.

i will just conclude that SDM may be good movie stilll not released here. i dont have anything against the movie if it is entertaining it will do well if not then it wont.

I will take back all my words if i am given one example where an indian movie or based on india is awarded in which the darker side if india is not the base of that movie or theme or highlighted or not even shown.

What do you mean awarded? As far as I know K3G won many awards. Hyderabad Blues was critically acclaimed. If you have doubts about the popularity of Indian films amongst western audiences you should check out the white chicks screaming "Shahrukh" and the "Bollywood Pushers" on the Bollywhat forums.

Now the Academy is a whole different ball game. The Academy is usually less concerned with the 'entertainment' value of a movie and more to do with 'the craft' and the 'emotive' content and the 'subject matter'. As a hardcore opening night midnight camper, I will vouch for the agony of seeing LOTR films being overlooked till ROTK simply because they had "mass appeal"

Less than one percent  of more than one billion poppulation is a huge no. BTW , which shows how many rich people are there in india.

I am not sure I understand this statistic can you explain.

RTH i have lived in mumbai, i have seen dharavi and i do not shove away the fact that there are slums in india and people do live below poverty line.
The only thing which hurts is selling indian poverty.

How and why do you assume it is selling Indian poverty. Why does anyone make a documentary or an offbeat art cinema? Why does anyone walk away from the beaten path of your mega summer blockbuster? Why does anyone make a Crash or a Brokeback Mountain instead of a Transformers or Pirtaes? Did you know that the makers of Slumdog Millionaire originally thought their movie was too insignificant and planned to release it straight to DVD, it was only when the film festivals acclaimed it and urged the makers for a wider release did they release it accross? Did you know that Slumdog initially played only at Sundance theaters till word of mouth got it across? Did you know that Slumdog is still a limited release that means it plays at select theaters and it is not a big enough seller to get nationwide release? Do you honestly think a person who makes movies like Trainspotting, Beach and 28 days later is a Steven Speilberg who will make another terrible franchise movie just for the money it will mint?

Yes of course as a movie maker he wants to make some money. He wants to take home some profit. Yes and he does want to be recognized and awarded for his work. Don't we all. We could deduce that Mother Theresa used Indian poverty to achieve Sainthood. Yes the movie industry is about stars minting money, but sometimes even under the quest to make money - there is the desire to make a point.

And gauri how can u assume  i belong to middle class? may be i own a BMW?

It might be an educated guess. Like I would safely assume that someone who voted to include creationism in the school curriculum is a Southern Baptist and perhaps from Virginia. Thats how I usually classify people.

And yes it is NOT and indian movie.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 10:31pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 19 January 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Just read it in IF.....

Thumbnail for version as of 20:06, 25 August 2007Shekhar Kapur: I think Danny Boyle is a good choice. I consider 'Slumdog Millionaire' India's most successful film. For me, 'Slumdog Millionaire' is an Indian film. It will get the Oscars and do a business of $200 million.

Edited by Pradarshak - 19 January 2009 at 10:53pm

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 20 January 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 5:14am | IP Logged

it's not otherwise it wouldn't attain so many golden globe awards

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 5:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by rongna

The Writer/Music Director/Location/Artist/ Story about india..Even one song also in hindi(and 2much hindi/urdu bad words Confusedyou can learnWinkLOL )..........Embarrassed85% of people worked behind the films are indians!!

I think we can say..its an Indian film from Hollywood........Wink

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 21 January 2009 at 10:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by rongna

The Writer/Music Director/Location/Artist/ Story about india..Even one song also in hindi(and 2much hindi/urdu bad words Confusedyou can learnWinkLOL )..........Embarrassed85% of people worked behind the films are indians!!

I think we can say..its an Indian film from Hollywood........Wink

ok i think it's fair to say that it's indian but not bollywood movie

Post Reply New Post

Go to top