Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog a Indian Film? (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 24

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 16 January 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog a Indian Film? (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 16 January 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 16 January 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged
It is only if the Singh is King title song is American, only because Snoop Dog is a part of it. Wink

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 17 January 2009 at 7:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sandya_rao7

Originally posted by Gauri_3

[QUOTE=sandya_rao7]

You are reading too much and assuming too much into why SDM was acclaimed by the west.  This is why you are coming up with such motives behind all the acclaim this movie rightfully got.  Films by Yash Chopras is escapist cinema.  Desis love it but it doesn't gel that well with the international audience.  Rest of the directors making superhit action/romance movies usually lift ideas from west - best example is the current super duper hit Gajini.  What is there to acclaim about in Indian fantasy cinema then?

I know this movie getting a GG or even an Oscar wont make any difference to our movies or industry or anything. I dont think YC movies dont have creativity at all, they have their own charm. those movies dont gel well with west bcoz they cannot imagine indians that way.
They would have selected TZp, Paheli which was crap for us but it was new to them same with devdas but they choose to ignore these movies not even lagaan was given an oscar. And god knows what art they find in movies like SDM? What creativity is there in showing slums and poor children that too with artist who are not even indians and cant even speak hindi with proper accent. how can they feel the character of a slumdog?

Name one stupid movie that was based on escapism that got an award and then make your case how it was worst than a YR film.  Don't get me wrong here - I, personally, love mushy gushy romantic bs YR keeps cropping up with but tell me why they should be considered for Oscar?  What is so unique about those movies.
I am not telling to give award to YC movies or Kj ( but y not even it is very comman to us but for west i dont thing running around the tress is comman) give award to suraj barjataya movies., A wednesday, yeh hai mumbai meri jaan, bombay,. N no. of movies are there . India is no short of talent at all and this is the very thing which irritates when all this talent is not recognised.Let me tell u the worst movie of YR rab ne bana di jodi's script has also been kept in oscar library y? 

Addressed above.  You are totally discounting the unique story line, brilliant screenplay and direction here and hung up on the poverty part of the movie that was also realistically portrayed. So what was new in that this all is shown much better in satayjit ray movies. You keep forgetting this movie not only has action, drama, and most importanlty love BUT it has also managed to portray all this drama as realistically as possible.  What's wrong with that?  the concept of the book Q&A is pretty unique to begin with - basing the movie on a game show that is popular in both east and west and taking it from there.  Tell me one YR film which depicts reality blended with fiction so beautifully?Kabul express, New york (yet to release must have seen the trailors but they wont acknowledge those movies bczo it will show their black aspect), fanaa.  Commercial entertainmnet producers/directors in India focus so hard on costumes, sets, and stars that the story and everything else takes the backseat.  I very much love these movies and y not ultimately they make movies to earn money not oscars.

Unlike what you claim, SDM is not out there to prove India is nothing but poverty ridden.  the way I see it, SDM is proving that even a kid from the slums of Mumbai, who has nothing going for him, can still learn so much from the life he has seen that he can crack the biggest game show out there fair and square.  You are so focused on the negative aspect that you have enlarged million times in your mind that you are totally missing out on the beauty of it all!  A slum dweller can achieve a feat that many privilieged children may not despite having every possible thing going for them.  And the point that touches me most is that Jamal is not on the show for the money part like most contestants from decent enough families all around the world.  He takes part to get the attention of his love.  Can love get any more purer than this?  This is precisely why the west is acclaiming this film - they are appreciating the fact that Jamal wins just by participating in the show because of his main motive and because of the fact that he is not even trying to win.  Why do you keep on missing the beauty here?

Havent seen the movie yet to release here but now will have to go and see wht was there in that movie which was so unique and was not there in 100 other indian love stories or serial . every hero or heroine is going over board for their love in our movies. wonder y that was never acclaimed till now ////Shocked 

I explained above why I think the west acclaimed this movie.  I don't think anyone in their right mind would think India is nothing but a slum.  It's not the slum that caught their attention.  It's the drama, the action, the love story - all happening with slum as the backdrop.....the way the picture unfolds. 

Re: Ambani - what so unique about Ambani?  Why should a film made on him be a masterpiece - b/c dad's rich, sends kids to top notch graduate schools in america, dad dies, brothers start squabbling over control in business.............you get the picture - right!

make movie on dhirubhai ambani growing from rags to riches SRK from no where ,no backing to being internationally acclaimed star. if u really want to search for inspiration u will get many. 

Both east and west are full of astute businessmen who rose from utter poverty or very modest background.  Why would an indian ambani catch anyone's attention then?  What's so unique about him?

I disagree.  BTW, have you seen the current tourism ad they are running on CNN?  It's beautifully done and captures the good colors of India.  But is that all the tourists see when they land up on Indian soil?  Italy is corrupt to the core.  There are many films made based on ever prevalent corruption there.  Did it deter tourism?  Don't think so.
india is as is it famous for hear and pollutions and diseases showing such slums wont make them think twice?

India has bigger problems currently that is deterring tourism.  Lets not get hyper and add poverty to it as well.  Most western tourists who visit India do their homework before coming here.  Pretty much all know what to expect.  I don't think the slums ever deterred them or would do so going forward.

If you are focused solely on the slum part of the movie, it doesn't mean everyone else is looking at ONLY that as well.  It's like a teenager who has a zit on her face.  To her eyes, that zit appears the size of mount everest whereas others, who see her, may admire her eyes, nose, attitude etc and barely pay attention to the zit.  It's you who have this feeling of shame deeply entrenched in your heart.  Hence you are totally missing out on the underlying beauty of the film.

Agreed, India is a very strong economy but I would not go to the extent of sayin "no thanks to west".  Look around you - the call centers, the outsourced buiseness processes, the vibrant IT industry, the exports - pretty much every single thing depends on west.  West pulls out, the economy will fail miserably. 

dont tell me west is giving us bussiness from the goodness of their heart they only invest not only invest even every small decision they take is solely keeping THEIR profit in mind nothing else. Dont tell me for one day that west is very happy seeing india develop and challenge it. Had it been the case we would not need to run around country to country for support against pakistan. so if we have developed its our own hard work and talent and potential ad west has done and still doing its utmost best to stop this growth.

It's good to be confident but it's not good to be arrogant.  I sense arrogance in your above post.  We live in a global economy today.  Both west and east share a symbiotic relationship.  Still, east would lose more if west pulls out than vice versa.Had that been the case we would have made a SDM and called them to give award and thanked their billion people  Additionally, India might be an emerging economy but sadly imbalances are overwhelming and hurt the poor most.  Still, I don't think this imbalance is the spine of SDM. 

Sandhya, do you mind using a darker font when you quote me again? OH! Shockedso sorry for the incovenience caused.And u were so sure that i will quote your post? This light green is kind of hard to readLOL

Sandhyaji, I won't interupt in between ur debate but I must say I love your style of debatingClapClap
No-one is pitying us and feeling sorry for us and chosing to make a movie on us, they're all in it for the money and we ALL know thay.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 January 2009 at 9:50am | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 17 January 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged
Ocean liners are upset why the only Oscar winning movie was on a ship that sank dramatically. Why can't Suite Life on Deck be awarded. London Tipton is a groundbreaking character.

The Germans want to enforce a ban on all the Nazi films. Nazis are gone long ago. They do not exist anymore. It is unfair to portray them as old world Nazis. Movies like Beerfest should represent Germany at the Oscars.

Eastern Europeans are upset at all the movies that portray their countries as notorious human trafficers or bride sellers. Why dont they make movies on happy prostitutes in Netherlands.

Worst of all mother nature is furious, in fact livid. She plans to unleash a threefold wrath on us in 2009 in protest. Why do all movies highlight her disasters like f;oods, hurricanes, tornadoes, famines, earthquakes, volcanoes? Why do all documentaries focus on her shortcomings? What is wrong in making a movie on a pleasant spring day, a successful high yield harvest, or endless hours of happy prancing animals without being an unrealistic Disney movie.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 January 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 January 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top