Is Slumdog a Indian Film? - Page 7

Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by sandya_rao7

and u talk abt me being pregudices? u certainly need to visit india if u dont knw how much money and how many people have in India.
πŸ˜†I visit frequently enough to know for a fact that upto 80% Indians live below poverty line.  The kind of "rich" that you are harping about are not even 1% of the total population.  Rest is somewhere in the low to upper middle class spectrum that, like you and me, loves to watch the larger than life escapist cinema.......doesn't mean it makes escapist cinema more creative or any better than SDM.

and if u think that i am the one saying this then just see any news channel where these comments from Ab's blog were flashed even the news reporters agreed to it.
Did I not ask you to watch the movie first and then form your own views?  Or is it expecting too much hereπŸ˜‰  Shouldn't AB have thought about it before taking up that miniscule "guest appearance" in SDM.  Oh, wait....may be B's gripe is coming from missing out on the game show host role that he used to play in RLπŸ˜›  Whatever may be his reasons for bi***ing about SDM now, I personally prefer to know what I am talking about.  Don't really go by what celebreties or media is harping on.  Once I know what all the hoopla is about, then I go and form my own opinions.  But I perferctly understand some like to get carried away by the hearsayπŸ˜‰

Now i am really confused what u r saying is really the crieteria for giving awards by them creativity new concept the way it has been presented of whether it is new to them or not bcoz from all the movies i mentioned each has one thing or the other except slums. so my point is only that they just want to show india is nothing but a big slum and they dont even want to see any other picture of India.
Well, why don't you at least watch the flick first and then make up your mind whether it is all about slum or not!!!

but not to worry we Indians are very stubborn and we will make them see them picture.
i really dont see any new art in it.
How can you see any new or old art in it without even seeing itπŸ˜†

if u say its the way it has been handled then i am sure a guy from slum becoming rich is something shown in millions of other movies and in a much better way infact. so what is new to this movie i fail to understand .
see it and you'll know what's so different.  Best would be read the book firstπŸ˜‰

If an actor is not able to speak hindi also then it shows how much feel they can have of that character and without understanding the character how well he must have played with the help of a non indian director.
There lies the creative genius.  The non-Indian director did not get carried away and did not ended up making Anil Kapoor, a known star, role bigger than the main cast of the movie --- like so many Indian directors end up doing. 

To all this post u have written i will ask only one thing according to u as u seem to know very well whcih type of movies are liked by the west 
Not only NO but HECK NO!!!  I am not the one claiming or explaining here how west liked it ONLY because of the slums.  Looks like YOU are the one who has the western psyche all figured outπŸ˜‰  Can't be turning the "being judgmental" and "ignorant" table on me now.  You are the one who's going around harping hopw west likes all movies on poverty and you are the one going around criticizing the movie without seeing it first.  Don't be confusing you with me nowπŸ˜›πŸ˜†

if u say genre then SDM had that also very comman to the west like TZP or rest of the movies u shoved away.If u think wednesday was not handled well then that just ur view, i am sure no one will agree to that.
Well, again getting presumptous --- aren't weπŸ˜‰  I never said wednseday was not handled well.  I only said there was nothing new there. 

I really fail to understand still what was new in SDM if u say concept of a slumdog becoming a millionair then that is not new. showing slums that they have seen may a times, if u say love story then that also is not new if u say thrill then that is also not new. if u say creativity and the way all these things were presented then i would go with TZP bcoz according to me its not abt dyslecsia its abt every child being special.
Okay, for the third time in a row --- what's new in SDM --- a slum dweller cracking the game based on his real life experiences in the movie when he takes part in that not to win money, like most non-slum dwellers --- but to get attention of the woman he loves.  See the movie and you'd not be asking me this question again and againπŸ˜†

If the movies is not released yet in india that does not mean i dont have a flick abt it.

Aagin, if you haven't seen the movie then the "flick" that you claim to have about it is all second hand.  I wouldn't count much on that.  But then, that's just meπŸ˜‰

do u live in india to knw so much abt indian people that u are shoving them away as poor?
It's all in your mind that west will think poorly of India because of how slums are shown in one or the other movie.  You can't be shoving your prejudices on me now...okie.

surely u have never been around rich indian people that y u dont knw and is not aware of the current progress of india.
πŸ˜†πŸ˜† I see that you are jumping to conclusions again.  Looks like it's second natureπŸ˜›

and.I will have same view after seeing this moviesalso. 
okie - proves it beyond doubt that it's second natureπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

had it been not for GG no one had even gone to watch that movie u know?
Oh no, had it not been for GG, we wouldn't have numerous Indians literally jumping up and down in excitement claiming SDM to be an Indian movieπŸ˜†

when i saw the trailor i thought it was some C grade movie.if it is a hit now then u will know we appreciate creativity here in india and not pregudice.
There are many in India that love the movie.  Don't be talking for all of them here nowπŸ˜‰

india is as is it famous for hear and pollutions and diseases showing such slums wont make them think twice?
Again, this is your own inferiority complex.  Mnay westerners are India bound now a days for treatments, surgeries etc.  Most know India is not all about pollution and or slums.  Now, if you are ashamed of that part of your country so much that you are ready to shove it under the rug then you are no better than Chinese government --- remember that l'il girl who was not pretty enough to be shown to world --- identify with the communists next doorπŸ˜‰

Again, watch this movie yourself.  Then would love to know what you think.  You are way too influenced by the opinions of others right now.

No economy can sustain by doing business within its country not even US. and dont tell me if all the indian leave US they wont be affected and it the same with the business india gives to their co.s .
When did I tell you thatπŸ˜• BUT, I can definitely tell you that US did not begging for us to migrate there.  All of us, whether at top notch positions in the US or not, came here out of our own free will and are living here out of our own free will.  Now, how about YOU telling me why the lines outside the US embassy are so long in every city in India where there's a consulate office --- since you are now making it a "pride" issue nowπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

i dont think they would wait if they wil get a better deal with some other country than india. as i said they are not doing business with us from the goodness of their heart. its purely give and take.
Thank god you finally got the "symbioticZ" part of my prevous two posts BUT lemme break the bubble here a bit --- Indian labor for all outsourced jobs/functions is very much replaceable.  Now, you can bury your head in the sand but it still won't chnage this fact....and I don't even know why you keep going on the economic tangent hereπŸ˜†  What point it scores for you or proves for you given the debate topic is whether SDM is an Indian film or notπŸ˜†

Well to be frank it did not create terrorism but helped it florish 
πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† and your point here is???

oh sure and can we fight alone with US all muslim countries china and counterparts of US? 
...and how is it or why it shd be west's fault if India can't?  Israel can but India can't....and this is also west's fault now --- ehπŸ˜‰

as u said hame kisi ne mana kiya hai kya? πŸ˜†
Well, I always knew it you are getting so worried about west judging India based on this one movie because somewhere, deepdpwn, you judge others based on what you see on celluloid screen or american talk shows.  Thank god most people are not like that --- at least in west...because in India, I still see most people judging america and americans based on what they see on OperahπŸ˜†

Naheen, aap ko kisi ney mana naheen kiya per apney prejudices doosron per thopna is bad😊

RTH I enjoyed reading your post very much. I think it sums the movie up really well-British film with an Indian heart.
And who would know this more than a Mumbaikar :)

I gotta disagree on some points people have made though. The way the world is moving right now, people DO believe what they see in the media, people DO believe movies that look real to life and generalise and in this modern day and time I can't help but say it is normal! I'm not saying we look at one person and generalise but when in the West for example we see movies that one after another continue to portray a certain place or even person in a certain way, because we see it so many times, we begin to believe it too no matter how many sides there are to a story. I can't and will not ever deny the existence of slums in India, its just it made me wonder while having a discussion about SDM when people said (not in a mallicious way) that "they think they saw the reality and how things really are". Slums exist and it is part Bharat's reality, but those people are also part of our reality who don't live on streets and actually have a roof over their head whom believe it or not aren't millionaires but an average middle class Indian. Its a shame some of these comments came from some Bangladeshis whom out of all people i thought would know better, clearly not.

Just wanna conclude with a thought of a friend of mine in one of our old religious education classes when we were talking about poverty. A classmate of african origin said that she feels so shocked when the whole world views Africa as such a poor continent and although she doesn't deny the frequent dying due to poverty..starvation etc, she also said that only she knows that when she goes back to Africa, her whole country isn't like that at all -like full of poor people at all but just over-exaggerated due to the influence of the media etc.

This is exactly how I feel about India.
All said and done.

i will just conclude that SDM may be good movie stilll not released here. i dont have anything against the movie if it is entertaining it will do well if not then it wont.
I will take back all my words if i am given one example where an indian movie or based on india is awarded in which the darker side if india is not the base of that movie or theme or highlighted or not even shown.
 Less than one percent  of more than one billion poppulation is a huge no. BTW , which shows how many rich people are there in india.
RTH i have lived in mumbai, i have seen dharavi and i do not shove away the fact that there are slums in india and people do live below poverty line.
The only thing which hurts is selling indian poverty.
And gauri how can u assume  i belong to middle class? may be i own a BMW?

And yes it is NOT and indian movie.
Edited by sandya_rao7 - 15 years ago
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

RTH I enjoyed reading your post very much. I think it sums the movie up really well-British film with an Indian heart.
And who would know this more than a Mumbaikar :)

I gotta disagree on some points people have made though. The way the world is moving right now, people DO believe what they see in the media, people DO believe movies that look real to life and generalise and in this modern day and time I can't help but say it is normal! I'm not saying we look at one person and generalise but when in the West for example we see movies that one after another continue to portray a certain place or even person in a certain way, because we see it so many times, we begin to believe it too no matter how many sides there are to a story. I can't and will not ever deny the existence of slums in India, its just it made me wonder while having a discussion about SDM when people said (not in a mallicious way) that "they think they saw the reality and how things really are". Slums exist and it is part Bharat's reality, but those people are also part of our reality who don't live on streets and actually have a roof over their head whom believe it or not aren't millionaires but an average middle class Indian. Its a shame some of these comments came from some Bangladeshis whom out of all people i thought would know better, clearly not.

Just wanna conclude with a thought of a friend of mine in one of our old religious education classes when we were talking about poverty. A classmate of african origin said that she feels so shocked when the whole world views Africa as such a poor continent and although she doesn't deny the frequent dying due to poverty..starvation etc, she also said that only she knows that when she goes back to Africa, her whole country isn't like that at all -like full of poor people at all but just over-exaggerated due to the influence of the media etc.

This is exactly how I feel about India.

I won't deny that many people assume the media portrayal to be the truth. There is a good share of Americans here who think India is a country of snake charmers who rely on elephants as a primary source of transportation. They ask dumb questions about India to which I answer with scathing sarcasm.

On the whole with the technology era, where the world is more connected people are becoming more aware. Movies and news is not the only source. People have the opportunity to access foreign media online, through discussion forums they connect to people across the world and get a taste of what local culture really is like.

When it comes to countries like India, China and the likes; I feel most of the west is in a confused state due to the high contrast in our history, culture etc. They constantly hear about India and China becoming the next superpower. Economic reports show the economy growing.(media) They lose their jobs to us and feel that it is taking from their mouth and giving us a big deal (their silly assumption). Then Indians and mostly all Asians who live abroad push academic, economic and work success. They portray their countries as ones with rich history and culture, lots of wealth, upper middle class lifestyle so a 'new age' image of these countries is impressed. (our fault). Then they see a movie like Slumdog and since many have never been to India are confused on what to draw as a 'Real Picture'. I feel it is ultimately up to all Indians to portray our country in a realistic manner. Our government, our people, everyone who represents us on the global scale even in the littlest scale should not - take pride in our country's greatness, but do acknowledge the harsh realities too.

Funny you mention Africa. I was talking to my sister about this thread and she was talking about how it must hurt Africans to see their portrayed. If Indians are sensitive about Slumdog, Africans must be depressed and devastated. People view Africa as such a poverty and Aids stricken country. It is true, but there is a rustic beauty to Africa. People think I am joking when I say the most breathaking parts of the Nile are in Uganda & Sudan. Eastern Europe has the same issue. People just view the region as home of prostitutes and brides for sale.

I might be being idealistic when I say people do not believe in the media. Most rational people ought to rise above the media and use the information we have at our fingertips. But then common sense is not that common really.

All said and done.

i will just conclude that SDM may be good movie stilll not released here. i dont have anything against the movie if it is entertaining it will do well if not then it wont.

I will take back all my words if i am given one example where an indian movie or based on india is awarded in which the darker side if india is not the base of that movie or theme or highlighted or not even shown.

What do you mean awarded? As far as I know K3G won many awards. Hyderabad Blues was critically acclaimed. If you have doubts about the popularity of Indian films amongst western audiences you should check out the white chicks screaming "Shahrukh" and the "Bollywood Pushers" on the Bollywhat forums.

Now the Academy is a whole different ball game. The Academy is usually less concerned with the 'entertainment' value of a movie and more to do with 'the craft' and the 'emotive' content and the 'subject matter'. As a hardcore opening night midnight camper, I will vouch for the agony of seeing LOTR films being overlooked till ROTK simply because they had "mass appeal"

Less than one percent  of more than one billion poppulation is a huge no. BTW , which shows how many rich people are there in india.

I am not sure I understand this statistic can you explain.

RTH i have lived in mumbai, i have seen dharavi and i do not shove away the fact that there are slums in india and people do live below poverty line.
The only thing which hurts is selling indian poverty.

How and why do you assume it is selling Indian poverty. Why does anyone make a documentary or an offbeat art cinema? Why does anyone walk away from the beaten path of your mega summer blockbuster? Why does anyone make a Crash or a Brokeback Mountain instead of a Transformers or Pirtaes? Did you know that the makers of Slumdog Millionaire originally thought their movie was too insignificant and planned to release it straight to DVD, it was only when the film festivals acclaimed it and urged the makers for a wider release did they release it accross? Did you know that Slumdog initially played only at Sundance theaters till word of mouth got it across? Did you know that Slumdog is still a limited release that means it plays at select theaters and it is not a big enough seller to get nationwide release? Do you honestly think a person who makes movies like Trainspotting, Beach and 28 days later is a Steven Speilberg who will make another terrible franchise movie just for the money it will mint?

Yes of course as a movie maker he wants to make some money. He wants to take home some profit. Yes and he does want to be recognized and awarded for his work. Don't we all. We could deduce that Mother Theresa used Indian poverty to achieve Sainthood. Yes the movie industry is about stars minting money, but sometimes even under the quest to make money - there is the desire to make a point.

And gauri how can u assume  i belong to middle class? may be i own a BMW?

It might be an educated guess. Like I would safely assume that someone who voted to include creationism in the school curriculum is a Southern Baptist and perhaps from Virginia. Thats how I usually classify people.

And yes it is NOT and indian movie.

All said and done.

.......And gauri how can u assume  i belong to middle class? may be i own a BMW?

Not even remotely guilty as charged by you here.  This is what I wrote:

[quote=Gauri_3]

Rest is somewhere in the low to upper middle class spectrum that, like you and me, loves to watch the larger than life escapist cinema.....
[/quote]

If you pay attention, I refrained from divulging which class I belong to leave alone assuming you are middle class.  All I said that middle class people like watching escapist cinema just like you and I like it.  Never said ALL people who like escapist cinema are middle class or poor people.  Similarity was drawn between the liking/movie preference - not the class.

Rest of your post has been addressed by RTH.  No point in repeating the same stuff again.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
Just read it in IF.....

Thumbnail for version as of 20:06, 25 August 2007Shekhar Kapur: I think Danny Boyle is a good choice. I consider 'Slumdog Millionaire' India's most successful film. For me, 'Slumdog Millionaire' is an Indian film. It will get the Oscars and do a business of $200 million.
Edited by Pradarshak - 15 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

First of all less than one billion was for gauri's comment who said less than on percent are rich in india.

as per your comment academy is all about art and no commercial value.  so what u mean to say is not one movie since these many year was not creative enough well ofcourse apart from satyajit ray movies? and after that SDM was the only movie in which they thought there is cretivity?
Y is it creativity is only seen in dharavi which is what percentage of mumbai? and what percentage of mumbai's population is dharavi? how many scenes are there in SDM which showed the better parts of mumbai?
and is if u are appreciating the movie u r doing thunders for poverty and my not liking the movie shows i and trying to shove slums as non- existant?
y is it that only dharavi has fascinated west to make movies and not any other part of india till now?

it's not otherwise it wouldn't attain so many golden globe awards

Originally posted by rongna

it's not otherwise it wouldn't attain so many golden globe awards

The Writer/Music Director/Location/Artist/ Story about india..Even one song also in hindi(and 2much hindi/urdu bad words πŸ˜•you can learnπŸ˜‰πŸ˜† )..........😳85% of people worked behind the films are indians!!

I think we can say..its an Indian film from Hollywood........πŸ˜‰