Debate Mansion

Is Slumdog a Indian Film? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 24

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged

The movie Slumdog Millionaire is a British film revolving around the poverty and violence in Mumbai. Its all media hype calling it an Indian film just like calling Kalpana Chawla an Indian??ConfusedConfused The creativity, cinematography, direction was all British. Even the lead actors are! Apart from using local cast and location and yes the story by Indian author nothing else is. I am sure the entry into Golden Globe was from Britain and not India. Its like China claiming "chandni chowk to china" ( Akshay Kumar starrer) a chinese filmWinkLOLLOL. Wld we agree to call " Indiana Jones and the temple of doom"Dead an Indian Film?.  If Indian made a movie on say Oliver Twist/Scarlet Letter or on Shakespeare's plays can the movie be termed as British? The Indian media is impetuously and unjustfully claiming it to be Indian movie. At best we can be proud of A R Rehman winning an award, that is well deserved and we can rightfully say an Indian winning a Golden Globe.ClapClap

As regards to Taare Zameen pe well I think it was an over rated film ( a half baked effort)

Edited by realitybites - 14 January 2009 at 10:52am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Slumdog a Indian Film? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

bheegi

IF-Sizzlerz

bheegi

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged
Slumdog is  movie

Made by the West

For the West

About the East

Gur.N.cool

IF-Sizzlerz

Gur.N.cool

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bheegi

Slumdog is  movie

Made by the West

For the West

About the East

very well said, i don't even think this movie will be successful in India. it was purely for western audiences.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:01pm | IP Logged

bheegi

IF-Sizzlerz

bheegi

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Slumdog is  movie

Made by the West

For the West

About the East

Made y west about east is fine but I don't agree with "for the west" part of your post.  Entertainment, now a days, has a global appeal to it.  It's only YR films that are made keeping only desi audience in mindLOL

i think the movie was made with the western audience in mind. We as Indians have seen many similar tales of rags to riches, gangsters, underworld, riots, prostitution with a bollywood style dance in the end on the railway platform. Amitabh Bachchan's old movies have all this masala. What about the British accent of the Suave Dev Patel who played the slumdog? Wasn't Dev Patel cast in this movie so the westerns could relate to him. I could relate to the kids who looked like real slum kids with an authentic accent but Dev Patel did not suit the role IMO- he was there for the west!

Don't take me wrong as I actually liked the movie because of the way the story unfolded- it was an engaging tale but with all old Bollywood masalas.

The west loves to see the so called 'real India'. They love a rags to riches story and the story of an underdog. Jay Leno on his show called the slums of Mumbai "beautiful' I thought that was an unfortunate comment from a westerner who sees the slums of Mumbai on celluloid from his five star residence in LA and calls them beautiful.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged

bheegi

IF-Sizzlerz

bheegi

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

i think the movie was made with the western audience in mind. We as Indians have seen many similar tales of rags to riches, gangsters, underworld, riots, prostitution with a bollywood style dance in the end on the railway platform. Amitabh Bachchan's old movies have all this masala. What about the British accent of the Suave Dev Patel who played the slumdog? Wasn't Dev Patel cast in this movie so the westerns could relate to him. I could relate to the kids who looked like real slum kids with an authentic accent but Dev Patel did not suit the role IMO- he was there for the west!

I don't think the intention of the producer and director was to have westerners "relate" to the characters.  I liked Dev Patel and Frieda Pinto.  I think they did justice to their role.  Not all slumdwellers are ugly.  Some are pretty decent looking too.  I have seen worst suited characters cast as slum dwellers or prostitutes in a Mahesh Bhatt or some other indian flick.  I think the casting in SDM was brilliant.  Everyone suited their role to a T.
  I think Frida was appropriatefor her role but Dev's brit accent was out of place. Yes I agree, slum kids can be very handsome too but Dev's body language was that of a suave, educated, foreign returned kid rather than a native of the slums

Don't take me wrong as I actually liked the movie because of the way the story unfolded- it was an engaging tale but with all old Bollywood masalas.

Agreed.  And this is why I say it's not aimed at solely West.  If it was, they wouldn't have bothered to have the bollywood masala in there.  The movie is as much aimed at metropolitan Indian audience as it is for western audience. u know originally this movie was destined for dvd and not the theater, so i guess he just wanted a niche arthouse audience to see it. So, it was never meant to appeal to a broad audience!

The west loves to see the so called 'real India'. They love a rags to riches story and the story of an underdog.

We have not presented any other Indian concept to them in an acceptable form so far.  Our directors take a subject as close to the western heart as dyslexia and then totally kill it with typical indian masala like TZP.  We make a decent enough movie like Lagaan but we totally forget how dramatic the ending is and how many westerners don't really relate to cricket like us Indians do.  Can we really balme west then?  I think fault lies in us....not that I consider it a fault though because I do love some of the lovey dovey dramatic shouting drama bollywood presents for desis exclusively.  Therefore, I don't get any heartburn when west rejects something like Dev Das but loves something like SDM.  I don't try to run the west down by saying they ONLY like watching slums and poverty in India.  Fact is, we haven't captured any other facet of India as beautifully as some directors captured the poverty.  It's us who haven't given many diverse good choices to west so far. 
  i was unhappy about TZP as a choice for oscars too. I loved the movie but i thought the plot had nothing new to offer for the western audience. Education about dyslexia might be new to India, certainly not for the west, where they have special dyslexia programs in most public schools. i think the west does want to see the poor and real India rather than the glossy india. Remember Mira Nair's 'salaam Bombay?' That was critically acclaimed in the west and i think even Oscar nominated. Lagaan was also a tale of triumph of the underdog but the cricket theme probably did not jive with the west
Jay Leno on his show called the slums of Mumbai "beautiful' I thought that was an unfortunate comment from a westerner who sees the slums of Mumbai on celluloid from his five star residence in LA and calls them beautiful.

May be he meant it's beautifully filmed.  "Beautiful", as used by Jay, could have meant as real as it could get or any other thing.  Why to get hung up on the literal meaning?  Sometimes, when I am asked, "How are you doing"--- I go "LOVELY".  Now, you can't take the literal meaning of lovely here - could you?
Yes, it was beautifully shot but I would still say they are not 'beautiful'- there is a difference IMO

Read this article on the reasons why SDM succeeded:

Edited by bheegi - 14 January 2009 at 1:58pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top