Harry Potter

India-Forums

Did Dumbledore have a right?

shellytt Senior Member
shellytt
shellytt

Posted: 09 January 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged
Here's a question for everyone.

Did Dumbledore have a right to be as secretive as he was about Harry's future? Did he have a right to withold information from Harry, like the Prophecy or even Snape's true colours?

Lets here what you have to say!LOL

cityoflights IF-Veteran Member
cityoflights
cityoflights

Posted: 09 January 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged
Hmm...this is a tough question, but I would have to say yes and no...yes because he only did what he did for Harry, even though Harry found it unreasonable. But no, because it was Harry life, and everyone has a right to their own life....Does that make sense? LOL
..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Stunnerz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 09 January 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
About Snape's true colors, I think Dumbledore was right in withholding that information, because had Harry known the truth about Snape since starting Hogwarts, he would have formed a very bad opinion about his father, and many of his actions would have been ruled by his emotions. The story would have been totally different, because many things happened due to Harry's strong dislike for Snape. Also, he may have tried to get closer to Snape feeling sympathy for him, and Snape would not have liked that, because as much as Harry had his mother's eyes, he was still a carbon copy of James. Snape did not want to be reminded of his past, and what "could have been" had Lily lived. Snape also requested Dumbledore not to tell anyone about his love for Lily, and Dumbledore respected that wish.

One more thing: Even though Lily was Harry's mother, Snape's love for Lily was totally between him and Lily, and since Lily was dead, it was his secret, and truthfully, none of Harry's business. So I don't grudge Dumbledore for withholding that info.

About the Prophesy though, I believe Dumbledore withheld that too long. I agree with him that in Year 1 and Year 2, telling Harry about the prophesy would have been too much to bear for a 11 or 12 year old (especially one who found out about magic at the age of 11). I also don't think his 3rd year was a good time either, because Harry was overwhelmed with finding someone "family-like", and thrusting the prophesy on him would have been too much. But 4th year, after Harry saw Voldemort resurrected, was the perfect time to tell Harry about the prophesy, because though Harry was still coming to terms with seeing Voldemort return, it would have give him time to think about everything and plan accordingly had he known about the prophesy. And also, he would have tried much harder at Occlumency during his 5th year if he knew of the real consequences of Voldemort invading his mind, and he might have given it a thought that Sirius may not have been taken prisoner by Voldemort, and even alerted the Order Members to check up on Sirius,

But then, if you think about it this way, telling someone that they had to kill someone else for the future of the Wizarding World is pretty big, and though I don't completely agree with Dumbledore's train of thought, I can see and understand the reasoning behind it. 

I don't think Dumbledore had a total right over keeping much of his information about Harry's future, but it ended up helping Harry in the end, because as he went in search of "that information" he learned a lot about the Deathly Hallows, Dumbledore's past, and also about his parents' past. In the end, he got more info than ever because Dumbledore kept much of his info. Follow my train of thought?

Great Post!
chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 09 January 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by godisone

About Snape's true colors, I think Dumbledore was right in withholding that information, because had Harry known the truth about Snape since starting Hogwarts, he would have formed a very bad opinion about his father, and many of his actions would have been ruled by his emotions. The story would have been totally different, because many things happened due to Harry's strong dislike for Snape. Also, he may have tried to get closer to Snape feeling sympathy for him, and Snape would not have liked that, because as much as Harry had his mother's eyes, he was still a carbon copy of James. Snape did not want to be reminded of his past, and what "could have been" had Lily lived. Snape also requested Dumbledore not to tell anyone about his love for Lily, and Dumbledore respected that wish.

One more thing: Even though Lily was Harry's mother, Snape's love for Lily was totally between him and Lily, and since Lily was dead, it was his secret, and truthfully, none of Harry's business. So I don't grudge Dumbledore for withholding that info.

About the Prophesy though, I believe Dumbledore withheld that too long. I agree with him that in Year 1 and Year 2, telling Harry about the prophesy would have been too much to bear for a 11 or 12 year old (especially one who found out about magic at the age of 11). I also don't think his 3rd year was a good time either, because Harry was overwhelmed with finding someone "family-like", and thrusting the prophesy on him would have been too much. But 4th year, after Harry saw Voldemort resurrected, was the perfect time to tell Harry about the prophesy, because though Harry was still coming to terms with seeing Voldemort return, it would have give him time to think about everything and plan accordingly had he known about the prophesy. And also, he would have tried much harder at Occlumency during his 5th year if he knew of the real consequences of Voldemort invading his mind, and he might have given it a thought that Sirius may not have been taken prisoner by Voldemort, and even alerted the Order Members to check up on Sirius,

But then, if you think about it this way, telling someone that they had to kill someone else for the future of the Wizarding World is pretty big, and though I don't completely agree with Dumbledore's train of thought, I can see and understand the reasoning behind it. 

I don't think Dumbledore had a total right over keeping much of his information about Harry's future, but it ended up helping Harry in the end, because as he went in search of "that information" he learned a lot about the Deathly Hallows, Dumbledore's past, and also about his parents' past. In the end, he got more info than ever because Dumbledore kept much of his info. Follow my train of thought?

Great Post!

Wow, Lalitha... I couldn't have said it better myself! Thumbs Up
..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Stunnerz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 10 January 2009 at 8:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chhilt

Originally posted by godisone

Great Post!

Wow, Lalitha... I couldn't have said it better myself! Thumbs Up

StarThank you!Star
fly_chick Goldie
fly_chick
fly_chick

Posted: 11 January 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Noor-best

Dumbledore had every right, because if not dumbledore to guide harry the right way then who???
his parents were dead
sirius in azkaban
and no one knew voldermort better than dumbledore.....if harry had known any of this stuff before he could have done something wrong judging by what he has to go throught everytime....

True but i feel Harry had a right to know about the prophecy in his 4th Year at least- though telling him about Snape would look like Dumbledore was betraying snapes trust, and Snape didn't want Harry to know because he hated him because of his Father but only protected him for lily.
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top