Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

mastii

IF-Dazzler

mastii

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 2:51am | IP Logged
Column: Rock 'n' roll (AMIT SANA)

Song Sung Blue!

He came, he sang, he conquered… once again! The voice that rocked the nation during the last season of Indian Idol has lots more reason to smile. Amit Sana recently released his debut album Chal Diye… that topped the national charts at the No. 1 Indipop album ratings in the very first week of its release.

A dekko at his fledgling career!

Produced by the ace duo Vishal Shekar, of Dus, Musafir and Jhankar Beats fame, the lead track, 'Chal Diye' is a tribute to the hard work that Amit has put in to get this far. Most of the lyrics on the album which has only one original track, with the others being covers of Hindi movie soundtracks, are done by Vishal Dadlani. The album basically consists of 8 enchanting renditions of Amit's favorite Hindi film songs done with outstanding versatility like 'Woh Kisna hai', 'Tanhai', 'Ek ajnabi hasina se', 'Pehla nasha', 'Ishq' (by Sukhbir) and more. Also on the album is the hit 'Mohabbatein lutaunga', which tells Amit's story, post-Indian Idol, in his own words.

But why didn't Amit sing original material one might ask. Says Amit in his trademark shy style, "Actually, I prefer giving something that I know will be loved by everybody. When an artiste releases an album it contains just one or two songs that are really striking and the rest don't appeal to the listener. So what I have done is to sing hit film songs that are evergreen and will always be remembered by music lovers."

Inspite of being just 22, Amit comes across as a mature and level-headed individual. Bespectacled and tanned, soft- spoken but wide-eyed, the boy from the small town of Bhilai has neither let his defeat at the Indian Idol hustings affect him nor his recently acquired nation-wide fame go to his head. From a very young age, he imitated every singer he saw on television. It was his school teacher who pointed out to his parents that Amit had talent that needed to be nurtured. It was only then that he began his training in classical Hindustani music. Since class four, he took his career seriously, and over the years it has paid off. Besides completing his Bachelor's degree in technology, and management, his music career didn't take off. Through the years, he has won numerous singing competitions, building up a crescendo to the finale. "I am lucky that I have got a chance to cut an album. I have cut short the path of knocking on music director's doors and asking for work", he says, with pride in his voice.

Amit even participated in the Channel (V) Popstars Hunt last year but never made it to the final round. He was not disappointed and rather he took the judges advice that he needed to work on his image, and earnestly proceeded to revamp his persona. From working in the gym, to growing his hair long, Amit experimented with different looks and paid careful attention to the singers he admired – KK, Shaan and his idol, Sonu Nigam. Though there was a lot of opposition to his long hair in his native Bhilai, he knew it would be his talent that would make him a winner in the end. The rest, as they say, is history.

When it was a battle between just Abhijeet Sawant and him, Amit knew he was close to the title. But it was not to be. "The result changed everything, but then I realized that to have come this far was no small achievement either. That kept me going and today I can proudly say that I am more confident than I was before. I even play the Spanish guitar." This Pisces is a reclusive one, in that, if he's insulted or his ego has taken a beating, he just moves into a shell. He can't take defeat easily. "I hate it when someone puts me down. If that happens, I sit in a corner and be by myself."

Not surprisingly, Amit is not a party animal! His outings are just the beach or open spaces. He informs, "I've been like this since the very beginning. I like to be by myself and do things my way. None of my family members are like me. My father works for SAIL while my mother is a housewife. I also have another brother. No one tells me what to do. We are a close-knit family, but independent when it comes to what each one wants to do"

About his future he dreams… "I want to take up playback singing and also bring out more albums. My contract with Sony BMG is for three years and in that I have to record three albums, though I am free to do playback singing for movies. My future albums will all be solo ones and probably the next one will be an original recording done by myself without any cover versions. Besides my album, I want to be known as an individual singer, with my own identity. I hope it works out."

With success comes controversies, and Amit is no exception. Stories abound of him dating his Lady Love. But Amit denies this with an emphatic "No". He states, "I have no girlfriend. I don't understand how these rumours came up. I'm friendly with all the female participants. At the moment, I'm concentrating on my career."

Standing tall now, with a more confident and positive approach to life and his future, Amit Sana knows what he wants and is all out to get it. He has crossed the first hurdle to stardom and is only a step away from becoming India's real singing idol.

— Verus Ferreira

[email protected]
2005 gmagazine.com

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Amit Sana Rock'n'Roll Article!" in Music Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aries23

IF-Stunnerz

Aries23

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
thx for sharing Clap

shahidlover24

IF-Sizzlerz

shahidlover24

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:31am | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing! Haven't heard him sing before, i guess gotta listen to him.

anie7772000

Groupbie

anie7772000

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:43am | IP Logged

Originally posted by shahidlover24

Thanks for sharing! Haven't heard him sing before, i guess gotta listen to him.

thanx a lot!!!Clap

CuteFairy91

IF-Rockerz

CuteFairy91

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 2:03am | IP Logged
Thnx for da article. Big smile

Iqbal Ki Diwani

IF-Dazzler

Iqbal Ki Diwani

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 7:59am | IP Logged
thankoo! Wink

acme0037