shud parents relize that family is not the only - Page 2

Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by Huduga

There is one point i want to add.

Family , these are the defined people. u know ur parents. and they are not going to change.

Friends. This is an umbella term, u may have some ppl as friends, and u may change them, and may make another ppl as ur friends.
Good point, but one thing-its not as easy as it may seem. You can change your friends-but not their TYPE unless you change yourself. For example if you hang around with a geeky type, then to hang out with the jocks-you have to do some personal change fpr yourself.

This is one problem.  Friends are not fixed faces.

Nobody, including self, is a fixed face. Friends, family-they all can change in personality. And you can do something towards it if you have the will.

---
And it is definitely not abt TRUST.

i will come back and post abt it more.

I am looking forwards to hear your opinion.

Originally posted by sangeetarangdal

shud parents relize that family is not the only  prority /importance in a prsons life,.....we oll knw family is important... but frnds and social commitments are important too..
i have raed so many times that  we are not allowed to go out wid frnds  ...they say school and home ..family is important nt frnds
 u guys agree

Yes, parents must realise that family is not the only priority in a person's life. Friends and social commitments are important too.

Having said that, it all comes down to the age factor. More importantly, whether the person involved is old enough to make social commitments without parent's approval. If you are an adult, then definitely you have the right to make social commitemnts and friends and expect your parents to accept that as a very important aspect of your life.

However, if you are still a child dependent on your parents, then the scenario becomes different. Do your parents know these friends? Is it safe for them to entrust you completely in their company? What about the peer pressure factor? Is there any chance of you doing something under pressure you are not supposed to just because you want to fit in?

Problem is, generation gap always rears it's ugly head whenever there is a parent child communication. Unfortunately, most parents have gone through and have experienced several dissapointments while growing up. Many of these parents don't have many friends of their own as they lost them out while trying to establish themselves and their families. So it could be that they want to shield their children from the same kind of dissapointments. Also, sometimes, some parents don't realise that the children are not really 'children' anymore. Parents who are more used to dictating their children's life face this problem more than those who accept the fact that children, after reaching a certain age, need their own space. These parents lable even reasonable communication as 'talking back' or 'sassying' or 'argumentive' and 'disrespectful'.

So I would say that it depends what kind of situation one is in, as each has a different approach to resolution. However, in each of these situations and all others that I have not mentioned, talking is the best way to resolve the conflict. If you cannot do it yourself, engage another adult who is close to your parents.

Unless, you are simply trying to break away because you have made new friends, want to experiment life, and your parents, very wisely, are trying to make sure you come to no harm.

-xprd-Edited by Huduga - 15 years ago