rouble thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
TV's supermoms!
By PRASHANT GOLECHA

Juggling a home and career is often a tight rope act for most working women. But when you add managing a celebrity status that goes with the job, and throw in some erratic working hours, the act becomes all that much more difficult. Take a look at some of these small screen celebs who say they couldn't imagine life without either - the kids or the cameras!

Divya Seth (remember Majli in Hum Log aeons ago?) is making a comeback through Manish Goswami's new show for Zee, Aaj. Her maternity break extended for four years after daughter Mihika was born, but Divya is now determined to resume her career despite being based in Pune. "I have a supporting mother-in-law, sister-in-law and husband. I make sure that I shoot only 12 days a month in Mumbai. Manish, the producer has planned schedules taking into consideration that I live in Pune."

So how does she find time for her child? "I involve myself in all her activities, just like any other normal mother. I make sure that we go for a long holiday at least once a year. I am quite organized that way."
Divya's favorite pastime with her daughter involves reading to her. "I read out a lot of stories to her. She even has a library of her own!" says the proud mom.

Maninee De, or Pari of Jassi for the couch potatoes has a five and a half year old daughter Dianoor from her earlier marriage. "The secret of managing everything successfully is basically the simple act of balancing everything by prioritizing, using my multi-tasking capabilities, time management and

commitment," says the effusive Maninee in one breath. She says she has learnt to manage things without getting exhausted and this involves making a checklist of my daily, weekly and monthly goals.

And does her celeb status hinder her role as mother? "As Pari, I do get mobbed by not only adults but also children. My daughter does feel strange and scared at times! But I make sure that I give her extra attention and affection and tell her that I love her the most."

Achint Kaur may not look it, but her son Preetanjan is almost a teenager. "He's 12, but I take leave during his exams and take full care of him." Even her routine schedule excludes Sundays from work, and

Achint makes it a point not to shoot more than 20 days a month. "I look into his homework, clothes, shopping and everything else." And no, Achint seldom has a problem getting recognized on the streets, "Even when people recognize me on the road, only a few approach me as they think I have an attitude!

For Deepshikha, it's double the dilemma, with two young kids at home. She sighs, "It is difficult to manage home, career and children. I give space to myself. I spend quality time with my children, four and a half years old Vidhika and four-month-old son Vivian. I take them out whenever I can. I don't shoot after ten p.m. I have co-operative producers and my mother-in-law is also a great support. I feel

working mothers are more careful about their children as they suffer from separation guilt! I read stories to my daughter, talk to her and explain things. On her holidays I even take her to shoots.

"But sometimes when I go to pick her up from birthday parties and people give attention to me, she understands.

Mansi Joshi Roy agrees that motherhood and career are a super- balancing act. "I am immensely blessed with a great support system. Rohit's mom and my daughter's 20 year old nanny are a great help. Besides, my mom stays fifteen minutes away from my home. My daughter's school calendar is what I and my husband follow.

"For me, the best way to unwind is reading a book peacefully for some time. For a change I like to have a glass of wine with my husband with soothing music playing in the background after my daughter has slept.

As Mansi sums up the feeling, "At the end of the day when I see my daughter's smiling face, it makes it possible for me to balance everything without complaints!"

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anitha.b thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 19 years ago
Thanks rouble.

Mansi's daughter is also very cute...

SONYA_K thumbnail