Speaking the Native Tongue! (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

nish1

nish1

Posted: 20 January 2005 at 7:28pm | IP Logged
I live in USA and i am going through this problem too because sometime when my brother and I start talking in English my family members start screaming. I think u know why we feel uncomfortable talking in our native language bez the way other people judge u...i know my gujarati is perfect and i know my hindi is somewhere and i still have to work on it but the way people judge u...so many time peopl start correcting u or start laughing at u when u pronounce something different. I guess that's why lot of people talk in the language they feel comfortable. I think there is nothing wrong in talking in the language u feel comfortable as long as u still keep ur values and culture close to u don't hurt others feeling but everyone should know there language.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Speaking the Native Tongue! (Page 3)" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-misha

IF-Sizzlerz

-misha

Posted: 20 January 2005 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bas02

I think that it is quite important to keep your mother tongue alive. I know how you feel, I speak in English the majority of the time, but I feel that I should speak in Gujrati as much as possible. Why?Because I feel a huge part of my culture is attachted to that, and if I lose it then I lose part of my identity. People should not be ashamed of their own language because being bi-lingual is considered as a privelage.

nice one Clap

sai14

IF-Dazzler

sai14

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 6:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bas02

I think that it is quite important to keep your mother tongue alive. I know how you feel, I speak in English the majority of the time, but I feel that I should speak in Gujrati as much as possible. Why?Because I feel a huge part of my culture is attachted to that, and if I lose it then I lose part of my identity. People should not be ashamed of their own language because being bi-lingual is considered as a privelage.

Couldn't say it any more better.! Completely agree w/ u bas Clap Clap

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 7:10am | IP Logged

Well said, Bas! Clap

Knowing how to speak, understand or write any language (no matter how badly you do it) is an asset.

nishi

IF-Dazzler

nishi

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 11:54am | IP Logged
I do believe that you should know how to atleast speak your native language  . learning how to read or write it is secondary option coz if you are with your native people then you may feel completely left out during conversations or the worst you may not understand what they are saying

Tishy_Fishy

Tishy_Fishy

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 9:06pm | IP Logged
hehe thats funni cause i my backgrounds are spanish and muslim and i live with my muslim family. but i dont speak muslim lingo. i speak spanish lol and english i no more spanish then muslim lol freeky i jus cant get the hang of it Tongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top