Members Lounge
Members Lounge

India-Forums

Speaking the Native Tongue!

nali476 Senior Member
nali476
nali476

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 12:42pm | IP Logged
Hey guys. This is an ongoing issue in my family so I thought I should get other people's thoughts. Me and my sisters were born in NY USA, so obviously English is more of a primary language to us than Urdu, or hindi in most people's case. My father is constantly screaming at us to speak in our ative tongue. It is not that I don't like speaking in it, but I feel more comfortable in English. I am 22 years, but my younger cousins actually don't know how to speak in Urdu that properly. They however understand it completely. I now begin to think maybe my father is right. I also STRONGLY believe that it is because of Hindi moves, that my cousins understand Urdu because that is where they hear it the most. So What do you guys think about it.

bas02 Goldie
bas02
bas02

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 1:19pm | IP Logged
I think that it is quite important to keep your mother tongue alive. I know how you feel, I speak in English the majority of the time, but I feel that I should speak in Gujrati as much as possible. Why?Because I feel a huge part of my culture is attachted to that, and if I lose it then I lose part of my identity. People should not be ashamed of their own language because  being bi-lingual is considered as a privelage.
mango IF-Veteran Member
mango
mango

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 1:31pm | IP Logged

agree with u bas

even though i live in canada i speak hindi or punjabi at home

-Amisha- Goldie
-Amisha-
-Amisha-

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 1:50pm | IP Logged
I agree with you, bas. I also speak English at home because I am more comfortable in English. And I have to speak English outside my home because in NY, that is the only language that most people understand. However, I know how to read and write Hindi. I don't want to forget my native language. Somehow, speaking in Hindi reminds me of my country and makes me feel connected to it. So I agree with your father's opinion.Smile
anitha.b IF-Dazzler
anitha.b
anitha.b

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bas02

I think that it is quite important to keep your mother tongue alive. I know how you feel, I speak in English the majority of the time, but I feel that I should speak in Gujrati as much as possible. Why?Because I feel a huge part of my culture is attachted to that, and if I lose it then I lose part of my identity. People should not be ashamed of their own language because  being bi-lingual is considered as a privelage.

I Second that....
nali476 Senior Member
nali476
nali476

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by amisha22

I agree with you, bas. I also speak English at home because I am more comfortable in English. And I have to speak English outside my home because in NY, that is the only language that most people understand. However, I know how to read and write Hindi. I don't want to forget my native language. Somehow, speaking in Hindi reminds me of my country and makes me feel connected to it. So I agree with your father's opinion.Smile

Just to correct you, my name is Noreen

-Amisha- Goldie
-Amisha-
-Amisha-

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged
I'm confused.Confused I didn't mention your name in my post. So what are you talking about?
meghavi IF-Veteran Member
meghavi
meghavi

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by bas02

Nicely said Bas!Clap

i agree with you completely   

Go to top