Kasamh Se (Kasam Se)

SS- Christmas Wish complete

divan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Almost Christmas...hope everyone had a safe and happy holidays.

Christmas Wish

"Bani didi…" A little girl looked up with her big eyes at Bani.

"Pari…come here my little angel.'  Bani picked up the girl and cuddled her.  She pinched Pari's nose and then asked softly, "Why aren't you asleep angel?"

"Didi I don't know.  Can you tell me a story?  The one…you told me the other night…you know about baby Jesus."  Pari said, her eyes glowing with hope and a smile breaking across face.

Bani walked up to Pari's bed and laid her down.  She tucked the blanket around the little girl and sat down near her.  Bani's eyes rested on the cherubic face giving her a sweetest of smile.  In a soft voice, Bani started to tell her the Nativity story, her dark eyes reflected the joy she felt recounting the timeless story of a miracle of birth in a village long long time ago..a story that is celebrated worldwide with reverence by some, as well as the commercial trappings by others.

When she finished, Pari's eyes were almost closed.  She whispered, "Bani didi I wish you were my real mom."

Bani stared with love at Pari, she couldn't help but love her.  She had recently come to the orphanage and for some reason had connected most with Bani.  Bani caressed Pari's cheek and then pressed a soft kiss and whispered, "I wish you were my little girl too."

Once more, Bani walked down the centre of the room looking at children of varying ages sleeping on beds.  Satisfied, no one was lying awake, Bani went to the small cubicle at the end where her bed was and lay down.

She thought about Pari, unlike Pari, Bani had been abandoned at birth…left on steps of St. Agnes Orphanage.  She had no regrets about being abandoned, as the sisters at the orphanage had never let her feel unloved.  From the time she could remember, the sisters and some of the older girls who helped out all were caring and devoted to the children left in their care.  Sure they did not wear the best of clothes or ate best of food, but they did get a roof over their head, food and education…something denied to those children living on the streets.

Bani had even got a scholarship to study at the best college in Mumbai.  So Bani had gone to college to study business and helped out at orphanage in the evening and weekend.  She just had one more year to go and then she had no idea what she would do.  Sister Yolanda had said Bani was free to do what she wanted, if she wanted to stay on at the orphanage, she was welcome for as long as she wanted.

XXXXX

Today was the last day of the class for the term.  Rano, Priya and Jhanvi were her closest friends at the college.  They knew of Bani lived at the orphanage and did not think any less of her unlike some of the other privileged crowd that studied with them.

"Bani, come to the school dance tonight.  Please don't make an excuse.  I am sure if you asked Sister Yolanda, she won't say no. Please…please."  Rano pleaded with Bani, with Priya and Jhanvi joining in.  Bani avoided all the social functions at the college, scared at making a fool of herself at them.

Priya leaned over, "Come on Bani…call the sister.  You can stay over at my home and you can borrow one my dresses.  It's Christmas dance…I am sure sister would not say no."

Bani looked at the three eager faces of her friends and then took the cellphone Rano held out to her and called the sister.  The girls stared keenly as Bani talked.  When Bani put the phone down, three of them together, "Well…what did she say?"

Feeling like teasing her friends, Bani pulled her mouth down and all three girls sat back looking glum.  Bani gazed at three upset faces and then her mouth curved into a smile.  "Hey guys…she said yes."

Rano pulled Bani's hair, "You…how could you do that?  That was so mean of you."  All four of them burst out in laughter.

XXXXX

Bani stood nervously with her friends in the hall.  She was wearing a skirt that fell to mid-calf and a sleeveless red top.  Even though she was covered decently, she still felt exposed, being used to wear long sleeved cotton shirts and jeans.  Priya, Rano and Jhanvi were all wearing fashionable party dresses of different colour with exposed shoulders and neckline.

"Come on girls, let get us something to drink." Rano said as she grabbed Bani's hand moved toward the bar.  "Relax Bani.  And why is your hand so cold?" she asked.

Bani gave a fleeting smile, "I am nervous Rano.  I feel so out of place."

"Stop worrying…you look great…though you would have looked great in a dress.  I don't understand why you want to look like a school marm."  Looking in the direction where some of the teachers were standing, "We have enough of them."

Priya and Jhanvi giggled.  "I wonder if Ms Sethi will get tipsy like last time."

"Or Mr Kumar trying to flirt with that Priyanka Shukla.  Remember last year, how Priyanka tripped up the poor guy on the dance floor."

"I hate Priyanka.  She is too mean…picking and dropping boys like flies.  I wonder who she is bringing tonight at the dance?"  Rano conjectured.

Priya rolled her eyes, "Probably some hot new model or a star working in her papa's latest TV serial."

"What do you want to drink Bani?"  Rano asked as they stood at the bar.

"Orange juice."  Bani said in a low voice.

"Just juice…come on try something.  How about a cocktail?"  Jhanvi  asked.

"No…no alcohol…I don't drink." Bani said, looking horrified at Jhanvi .

"It's ok Bani, you can have a juice."  They took their drinks and found a table to sit at.  Bani sat and listened to mostly the other three talk, talking only when they asked her something.  Lot of the girls seemed to have come with their boyfriends, Bani noted.

Suddenly Rano clutched Bani's arm, "Oh my God…who is that with Ranveer and Anu Banli?  Wow…he is so hot."

Bani, Priya and Jhanvi  giggled.  Rano had a huge crush on Ranveer and now she was ogling at another man.  Priya nudged Rano, "Shame on you…you ignore your boyfriend and start drooling at his friend."

"Can't help him.  I want go up and hug."  Rano said dreamily.

Jhanvi  said causally, "Must be Anu's boyfriend."

"Nah…he looks too sophisticated for her.  Plus I heard she likes Rohit Chopra."  Priya said.

Bani looked at the man.  He didn't look like a student.  He was tall and dark.  The suit he wore didn't look as if it came off a rack in some small store.  In fact Bani thought he kind of looked out of place among the casually dressed crowd.

"I don't think he goes to school.  May be he is Ranveer's brother." Bani suggested.

"No…he doesn't have a brother."  Rano was quick to point out.

Priya rolled her eyes, "Trust her to know.  Well than who is he…since you know minute detail about Ranveer Bali?"

Rano shrugged, "No idea.  May be we can ask Anu."

Jhanvi  laid an arm on Rano, "Are you crazy?  You want to blow your chances with Ranveer?  What will he think if you start making eyes at his friend."

Rano slumped back.  "I guess you are right.  But I still wouldn't mind a dance with him."

Bani looked at Anu, Ranveer and the man move towards the bar.  Anu picked up drink and then started wandering around chit chatting with friends.  Ranveer and the man, sat at the bar.

"Hi Rano!"  Anu called out.

"Hi Anu.  Come and join us."  Rano called out.  They shifted and made space for Anu to sit down.

"Whose your new friend?"  Rano asked.

Anu looked embarrassed.  "If I tell you, promise not to laugh."

They all nodded.  "My mamaji.  Ranveer dragged him here as his company sponsored the dance."

"Gosh…you are so lucky to have such a hot looking uncle."  Priya said.

Anu giggled.  "I know…every female wants to hit on him.  But you know he hardly cares a damn about all the women dying to get his attention.  So…glued he is in his business all the time."

"What's his name?"  Rano asked.

"Oh, I thought you guys would know.  Jai Walia…he is in news a lot…and on magazine covers."

Rano released a slow breath.  "Wow…Jai Walia in person. I have heard my dad talk about him."

Anu gave a bubbling laugh, "Hey, you want to meet him.  I could introduce you to him."

"Yes…Yes please." Rano said breathlessly.

Anu waved at Jai Walia, catching his eye.  She motioned to him to come over.  Jai took his drink and walked up to her.

"Hey mamaji.  I want you to meet my friends.  Rano, Priya, Jhanvi  and Bani."  Anu said, pointing at each of them.

Jai bowed slightly, "Hello ladies." He said in a deep slow drawl, aware of at least three pairs of eyes devouring his face.  His eyes rested on Bani's face.  The instant she felt him look at her, Bani coloured and dropped her gaze.  The other four pairs of eyes looked at Bani and then at Jai.

Jai smiled and raised his glass at the girls, "Cheers girls. It was nice to meet you."

Rano stood up, "Eerr..Mr Walia."  She cleared her thought nervously, "Can I ask you for a dance?"

Jai stared hard at Rano for a moment and then set his glass down.  "Why not?  I guess better than sitting at the bar."  He took Rano's hand and took her to the floor.

Priya flew her breath out loudly, "Gosh…she has some nerve.  I wonder what Ranveer thinks of her now?"

Anu giggled, "Bhai's too shy…he likes her too.  But he won't ask her for a date.  He is so stupid."

"Your brother likes Rano?"  Jhanvi asked, leaning closer to Anu, "Spill…since when?"

"Oh I guess for almost a year now.  I think he must have first chatted with her in a library."  Anu said.

They sat and watched Rano and Jai dancing away.  Both of them seemed to chattering away as they swayed to the beat.  "You know…Rano talks too much." Priya said.

"Except when it comes to Ranveer."  Bani said quietly.

Anu looked at Bani, sitting and just observing everything around her.  "I have never seen you at a dance before Bani…how come?"

"I just am not comfortable.  It's not something I am accustomed to."

"Oh…don't you like parties?"  Anu asked.

Jhanvi nudged Anu.  "Bani lives in an orphanage.  She attends the college on scholarship."  Jhanvi said quietly.

"Oh…but you must have parties at the orphanage…you know someone's birthday…Christmas…yeah…Christmas."  Anu asked, ignoring the glares Priya and Jhanvi gave her.

Bani smiled, "Yes…but not like this.  Orphanages don't have lots of money…they rely on charity."

Anu gave a thoughtful look.  "You know what…I shall tell mamaji to give your orphanage some money…he is always giving money away to charity.  This Christmas…your orphanage shall have a party organized by the Walia."

Bani's looked embarrassed.  "Please Anu…you don't have to do anything of the sort.  I am sure your mamaji is overburden by such requests."

Anu's eyes set hard, "Nonsense…mamaji never says no to me."

Jai danced next with Priya and Jhanvi.  Bani declined when he asked her, smiling shyly she told him she didn't dance.  He shrugged his shoulder and dragged Anu on the floor.

Rano glared at Bani, "How could you say no?  He is such a nice guy.  And don't tell me you don't find him attractive…I saw the look you gave him."

Bani looked miffed, "Honestly Rano…shut up.  I don't want to make a fool of myself.  I don't know how to dance."

Priya put her arm around Bani, "Rano…leave her alone.  It's not as if he was dying to dance with her."

When Jai returned back with Anu, he fished a business card from his pocket and held it towards Bani.  "Please ask Sister to give me a call.  Tell her I would like to make a donation."

Bani took the card and then looked at Anu, who was grinning like a Cheshire cat and then at the Jai, who was watching her intently.  Bani took the card and simply said, "Thank you."

Anu hugged Bani and giggled crazily, "I told you…isn't he just great."

Bani couldn't help but be affected by Anu's bubbling laughter.

Rano nudged Bani, "Now don't forget to invite us to this party too.  I definitely want to be there."  And then Rano smiling sweetly at Anu, "Hey Anu, could you make sure your brother comes there too?"

Anu grinned, "Why don't you ask him yourself?  I don't think he will say no." she said smugly.

XXXXX

Sister Yolanda waddled her way to Bani's room, a big smile adorn her face and her eyes twinkled behind her glasses.  "Bani…Bani.!" She squealed.  Bani looked up from the floor where she was playing with Pari.  "Yes Sister!"

Sister Yolanda planted a big kiss on Bani's cheek.  "Oh you lovely girl…I don't know how to thank you.  Your Mr Walia…he is an angel…a God's miracle."

Bani gave a soft smile to sister and then said slowly.  "I guess he made a donation."

Sister's smiled grew even wider, "Yes…yes, but he is also throwing a big Christmas party for us.  He is taking care of everything.  All we have to do is be the guests.  Such a sweet man.  It will be the best Christmas for kids this year.  Decorations, music, food, gifts and dancing."  Sister Yolanda turned around, almost losing her footing.

Bani hugged Pari, "I am happy for you Sister.  You do so much for us kids."

Sister Yolanda sat down.  "Tomorrow he is going to send people down to look around the hall and get some details.  You will help me won't you Bani.  We have to make a list of all the kids and their ages for gifts to give them.  Wait till I tell all the other sisters."

"Pari what would you like for Christmas?"  Sister asked Pari.

Pari wrapped her arms around Bani, "I have my gift Sister.  Banididi is my bestest present."  And she planted a wet kiss on Bani's cheek.  Sister Yolanda smiled at Pari, "Yes dear…she is lovely gift."

Sister Yolanda stood up and patting Bani's head.  "Well I better get back to my office.  See you later dear."

Pari patted Bani's cheek, "Bani didi, what do you want for Christmas?" 

"I don't want anything angel.  I have so much.  I have you, Sisters and this beautiful home.  But may be Santa will bring you a tiny gift…a doll or a teddy bear.  What say you?"

Pari hugged Bani, "I want a teddy, so I can hug it when you go to school didi and then I won't miss you so much."

XXXXX

Bani watched as the decorators set about putting decorations up in the small hall used by the orphanage as dining hall.  There was a huge tree, covered with decorations in a corner and gifts piled around it.

The caterers would be coming soon with the food too.   Bani left to go and help kids dressed in their best clothes.

Two hours later Bani and sisters took the children down to the hall.  Rano and Priya arrived too few minutes later.  The children's eyes sparkled with excitement and they chattered and piled around the Christmas tree looking expectantly at brightly wrapped gift boxes.

Jai Walia arrived with his family half an hour later.  Sister Yolanda welcomed them and brought them into the hall.  Jai looked around the hall with satisfaction and then had word with the manager to ensure everything was going as planned.

Sister Yolanda introduced the other sisters and the assistants to Jai and his family.  Bani too went up and shook hands with everyone.  Jai winked at Bani gave a shy smile and said "Thank you."  Anu grabbed Bani's arm, "Come stay with us."  Bani shook her head, "No…I have to help the sisters with the children."

"Bani sit down.  I have plenty of staff to take care of the children.  Sister, please all of you today leave the chidren in the care of my staff and enjoy yourself."

Anu grinned and pulled Bani in a chair next to her.  After few minutes, Pari came running up to Bani and climbed in her lap.  "Didi…I want to sit with you."

Bani nodded, "Yes you may.  But promise you will be good."  Pari nodded, her large brown eyes glowing with happiness.  Anu ticked Pari, "And who is this little baby?  Are you going to tell me your name?"

Pari hid her face in Bani's chest and then peeked at Anu.  Bani moved Pari's face up, "Come on tell Anu didi your name."

"Pareee." Pari said softly and then giggled and hid her face again in Bani's chest.

Anu held out her hands, "Come sit with me.'  Pari looked up at Bani and then slowly got down and climbed up on Anu's lap.  In no time Anu had Pari chattering away.

"Hey Pari, did you make a Christmas wish?" Anu asked her.  Pari nodded her head.  Anu grinned at her and whispered, "Are you going to tell me?"

Pari nodded and said in a loud whisper, "I wished I could have a mommy just like Bani didi."  Jai Walia who had been quietly listening to Pari's chattering stared at Bani, who looked embarrassed.   Anu pinched Pari's cheek, "But what about papa?  What if Bani didi married a man and you don't like him?"

Pari put  a finger to her lips and looked as if she was thinking and then her face perked up, "But Bani didi said, you don't have to have a papa.  She said if a lady had a lots of money…she would taek me home and look after me as her little girl."

Anu turned to Bani and gave her a funny look. "What have been feeding in this girl's head?"

Bani just smiled, "Now days single successful women are adopting kids.  I don't see anything wrong in that."

Sister Yolanda came bustling up after a while, "Mr Walia would you like to say something to the children before the entertainment starts?"

Jai nodded, "Yes I would."  He held his hand out to Pari, "Do you want to come with me and wish everyone a Happy Christmas?"

Pari looked at him suspiciously and then shook her head.  Anu hugged Pari, "How about if I come with you?  We can sing a little song to everyone."  Pari nodded her head happily and walked off with Anu, holding her hand.

Rano who seemed to have disappeared for a while, appeared with a smug smile and Ranveer in a tow.  Bani gave a knowing smile, which made Rano blush.

Bani asked innocently, "Ranveer where did you go?  Your mamaji was looking for you."

Ranveer scratched his head and blushed.  Gave Rano a bewildered look and then replied, "Eerm…I just was taking a look around."

Rano took a seat next to Bani, "Why are you sitting alone?"

"I was sitting with Anu…she just…" pointing in the corner where the kids had gathered around Jai Walia and Anu, "took Pari there.  Actually I have to do something.  Do you want to come and help me or?"  Bani gave a look at Ranveerand did not finish the question.  Rano ignored Bani's look and smiled sweetly, "Of course I will help you.  Will you excuse us Ranveer?"

Out of Ranveer's earshot, Bani pinched Rano, "So are you finally going out with Ranveer?"  Rano giggled, "Yeah, Anu kind of pushed him into asking me out one day.  He is so cute."

Bani took Rano to her room and picked up a packet.  "What is is that?"

Bani opened it and showed it Rano.  It was a plaque.  "Sister Yolanda ordered it, I picked it up earlier.  What do think?"

Rano looked at it, "It's nice.  Anu said he is very generous with lots of charity and thinks this one might be special for him, because his parents died when he quiet young too…you know kind of feels for the kids."

"Still he is lucky to have a family around." Bani said quietly.

"Yes…but it doesn't mean he doesn't miss his parents."  Rano remarked.

"come let's go…I will put this on Sister's office for later."  Bani said, picking up the plaque.

When they returned to the hall, there was music playing and the kids were dancing.  Bani watched Pari dancing with Anu.  "Pari usually does not so friendly with people.  Look at dancing with Anu."

"Anu is like a little kid sometimes…Ranveer tells me Mr Walia and his father spoil her rotten.  She gets what she wants all the time."

Bani sighed, "I have never seen the kids so happy…I am glad for one day this kids are getting spoiled.  Because tomorrow it will just be another day."

Rano pulled her, "Come on lets dance."  Bani spied Ranveer sitting alone, she nudged Rano, "Why don't you ask him to dance?"

"Hmm…poor baby, he does look neglected." Rano giggled and walked off towards Ranveer.

Bani felt a hand on her arm.  She turned to find Jai Walia smiling at her.  Pari was holding his hand and clutching a teddy bear.

"Look didi, I got a teddy bear.  He is so cute."  Pari held the bear out at Bani.

Bani bent down and looked at the teddy bear.  "He is sweet. Did you thank the uncle?"

Pari shook her head and then peeked at Jai through her long lashes, her mouth falling into a shy smile.  'Thank you uncle."

Jai winked at her.  "You are welcome Pari.  Do you want to go and play with your teddy while I dance with your Bani didi?"

Pari grinned at Bani and nodding her head at Jai then ran off.

Jai arched his brow and held his hand out.  Bani put her hand in his and followed him to area where everyone was dancing.  As she moved around the floor guided by Jai, Bani saw smiling faces of the kids and the sisters, Anu and Priya, Rano and Ranveer, all dancing around her.  She felt as if she floating in some sort of a dream.

After a while she found Jai leading her out of the hall.  "Can we go outside for a while, its too hot in hall?"

Bani led him out into tiny garden at back of the orphanage.  It was dark as there were no lights in the garden.  The night air felt cold on her hot skin.  Bani stood silently and watched him walk around in the dark.  The silence felt uncanny, but she found there was nothing she could think to talk about.

After few minutes Jai came back and stood in front of her, "What are you planning to do after you graduate Bani?  Sister Yolanda says you are free to do what you want?"

Bani said in a clear voice, "Work at the orphanage.  I want to help Sister Yolanda out.  I can never repay the kindness and love she has given me."

"What about Pari?  If someone adopts her…would you let her go?"

Bani looked confused, not understanding why he was asking.  "Yes.  If someone is willing to give her good home, I would not keep her here."

"Good, because I intend to adopt her." He said while focusing his gaze on her.

Bani felt her heart constrict.  It had been so easy a minute ago to tell him, she would let Pari go…but now…she knew would be miserable.  She forced herself to smile, but it did not reach her eyes.  "I am happy for her.  I can see she already likes Anu."  Bani turned and walked back into the orphanage without another glance.

XXXXX

Three months later…

Pari clutched her teddy bear tightly.  Big tears fell down her face as she sat on a chair in Sister Yolanda's office, looking at Sister and Jai Walia.  In between her sobs she wailed, "I don't want to go…I want Bani didi.  I want…didi.  I…love…didi. I don't…want to go with you."

Sister Yolanda sat with her hands tightly clutched, her mouth closed tight.  The adoption papers lay beneath her hands.  After a few minutes of  listening to Pari's sobbing, Sister Yolanda said, "Mr Walia…may be if you can give us a few days.  I will talk with Bani and may be she can drop Pari off at your house."

Jai nodded, his face like a blank mask.  "I will leave it for you to arrange it Sister Yolanda.  Please call me when she is ready to come.  I will send a car to pick her up."

In the evening, Bani sat holding Pari talking to her in a quiet voice, reasoning with her to go and live with her new family.  Pari hugged Bani hard, shaking her head, telling Bani she did not want to go without her.  That night Pari slept with Bani.

After couple of days Bani suggested to Sister may be she could take Pari down for couple of hours to Walia mansion…let her slowly adjust, getting to know the family and become familiar with the place.  If she sees Anu living there, may be Pari will fill at ease.  Sister Yolanda arranged for Bani and Pari to go and spend Sunday afternoon at the Walia house.

XXXXX

Pari clutched Bani's hand tight, "Didi…so big house." She said looking at the large mansion in front of them.

Bani smiled, "Yes and look at the pretty flowers in the garden Pari…lots of flowers."

Pari smiled and relaxed her grip.  They climbed the marble steps leading upto the house.  A butler opened the door and smiled at them and led them to the lounge where everyone was waiting for them.

Pari hid behind Bani as they approached the sitting areas.  "Didi…I am scared." she whispered.

Bani smiled hesitantly standing before Jai and his family.  Anu who was perched on the side of the sofa, stood up and came and hugged Bani first and then knelt down and pulled at Pari.  "Hey…remember me?"

Pari nodded and said, "Anu didi…"

"Come…do you want to meet my grandma, mommy and papa?"

Pari looked at the all the adults staring at her and shook her head.

"That's ok.  How about coming with me?  I can show you my room."  Anu said chirpily to Pari.  Pari nodded and she went along with Anu.

Jai who had been quietly observing this, came forward and smiled at Bani.  "Thanks for bringing her.  Come and meet my masi, sister and rest of the family."

Bani was sitting and chatting away with Jai's masi, sister and her husband, when Pari returned with Anu.  She was grinning as she climbed up on Bani's lap and started telling her about what see had seen.  By the time they sat down for lunch, Pari talked shyly with the other adults.

By the time they left, Pari no longer clung to Bani, but went freely from one family member to the other.

For the next two more weekends, Bani and Pari followed the same routine. It was decided the following weekend Bani would drop off Pari on Saturday, leave her overnight.  Bani helped Pari pack a small bag with some clothes and things she wanted to take.  Clutching her teddy, she looked at Bani with big eyes.  "Bani didi, only one night…you promise only one and I can sleep with Anu didi."

Bani nodded and hugged. "Yes, I will come and bring you back tomorrow and Anu did promise that you can sleep in her bed."

Pari nodded and held Bani's hand as they walked out to waiting car.

When Bani returned later after dropping Pari, she felt depressed.  It was going to be very hard to finally let go of Pari, already her heart ached and Pari was only to stay overnight.  A tear rolled rolled down her cheek, which she quickly wiped away.

Next afternoon, Jai phoned Sister Yolanda to say Pari would not be coming back.  Pari  had asked to stay with Anu for few days.  Sister Yolanda felt relieved.  She had been worried Jai Walia might forego adoption.

That night Bani cried as she lay in bed.  She missed her nightly chats with Pari…reading her book or singing to her before sleeping.

XXXXX

Bani would listen avidly as Anu related Pari's antic to her, unaware of the fleeting sadness that would sweep across Bani's face.  During the day, Bani some how managed to get through her classes, but coming back to the orphanage…Pari's missing presence would come to the fore.  Sister Yolanda noticed Bani's withdrawal but let her be.  She wanted to give Bani time to face and come to term with it.

With the looming summer, Bani prepared for her final exams, knowing that once she was done with school, it also meant no more contact with Anu.  Anu had asked Bani to come over couple of times, but Bani had declined, saying it was best for Pari if she stayed away.

After the exams, Anu held a party at hotel owned by her Jai.  Bani had been coerced into coming by Anu…who had threatened to personally come over and drag her to the party.

Bani stepped into the hotel and asked at the reception for the direction to the party room.  She walked slowly, the long hallways bustling with people.  The party room was filled with mostly people from her college.  Bani saw Rano and Ranveer talking with some people.  Priya and Jhanvi were standing around with a bunch of girls from their class.  Bani made her way towards them.

Bani kept her eyes on Priya and Jhanvi and did not register someone else, who had seen her walk towards her, until he tapped her on the shoulder.

"Mr Walia!" Bani exclaimed.  Jai smiled, "Hi." He greeted her and then his frowning, "Why haven't you been to see Pari?" he asked.

Bani felt flustered.  She fidgeted by pulling the end of her dupatta. "I…I thought it best not to disturb her.  I mean it took us so long to get her to be comfortable with you."

Jai took hold of her hand and dragged her out of the party room.  "Mr Walia…where are we going?"  Bani asked in panic.

He didn't answer her, but stopped in front of elevator and pressed the button.  The elevator door opened and he pulled her in.  He smiled at her, staring at him as if he had gone mad.  The elevator stopped and they got out.

Walking up to a room, he opened it and held it for her to step in.  Bani stepped in tentatively.

"Bani didi!"  Pari's voice squealed and Bani saw her running towards her.

Pari hurled herself at Bani and hugged her tight.

Pari looked shyly at Jai and then whispered to Bani, "I call him papa now.  Anu didi says I have to call him papa."   Bani nodded and kissed Pari on both cheeks.  "Have you been a good girl?"

Pari nodded and then gushed, "I go to school in a car.  And Tony uncle makes me chocolate milk when I come home.  And masi and dadi play with me."

Bani looked over Pari's head at Jai Walia.  He arched his brow at her in question.  Bani just shook her head.

Bani set Pari down, who ran off to where some toys lay on the floor.  Jai Walia walked up to her, "Happy?" he asked, his eyes not leaving her face.

Bani nodded and she couldn't stop a tear from rolling down her cheeks.

Bani felt Jai's thumb on her cheek, "Hey…why are you crying?  Aren't you happy?"

Bani hastily wiped her cheek, "No…I am happy.  It's nice to see her settled."

Jai still did not let go of her face…his eyes searching hers.  He sighed and shook his head, "I am not happy." He said finally and dropped his hand.

Bani looked confused and shifted her gaze. "Why?" she asked.

She heard his soft voice say, "Because Pari doesn't have a mamma."

Bani's head shot up and she gave him a strange look.  Jai walked up to her again, "I tried to look for a mommy for her…someone like you." He paused and then continued. "Couldn't find one.  Do you think you can help out?"

"Me?" Bani squealed.

Jai smiled and nodded his head, "Yes.  Could you find me someone just like you?" he asked.

Bani felt colour spread on her cheeks and she squeaked, "But…I don't know any one…"

"Yes…you do."

Bani shook her head.  He picked up her hand and gazed at her, "What about you?  Wouldn't you like to be Pari's mother?"

Bani snatched her hand, her eyes stormy from the havoc he had just caused, "Are you making fun of me?  How could you say that?"

Jai gazed back gravely at her.  His voice serious, "I am not making fun.  I can't think of a better mother for Pari than you."

"But…but."

"But what?  Is there something wrong with you that I should know about?" He asked calmly.

Bani shook her head.  Her voice barely audible, "Usually two people get married because they know each other, they like each other."

Jai laughed softly and asked teasingly, "You don't like me then I guess?"

Bani looked horrified now.  This was becoming a strange situation. "No…Yes…I mean I do like you.  You are a wonderful person.  Look how much you have helped the orphanage and then giving Pari a loving home."

Jai crossed his arm, silently enjoying watching her become flustered. "Then why can't you marry me?"

"Because you haven't asked me?" she blurted out and then covered her face as the words she uttered sank in.  "Oh…oh…sorry…I didn't mean that."

Deep laughter rumbled from his mouth.  Jai walked up to her and removed her hands from her face.  "You know…you look very cute when you are worked up.  I am sorry.  I should have asked you straightforwardly…instead of going around in a convoluted way."

Bani just stood still.  Jai stopped laughing and then getting down on his knees said very solemnly, "Will you marry me Bani Dixit?  Will you become mommy to my little girl? I promise to take good care of both of you."

Jai waited with bated breath.  Pari looked up from playing with her toys.  "Look didi…teddy has hurt his hand."  Pari waved at the hand of the teddy bear with a plaster stuck to it.  She looked at Jai on his knees.  "Papa…what are you doing?" she asked with curiosity.

"I am asking Bani to be your mamma."  Pari squealed, dropped the teddy and ran up to Bani.  "Sachi…are you going to be my mamma?" Pari asked hugging Bani.  Bani looked from Jai to Pari and finally said, "Yes."

Jai scooped up Pari and twirled her around.  "She said yes Pari…yes."

Bani felt as if Jai Walia has gone crazy.  She sat down on the floor, her legs felt wobbly, now she felt dazed with what had just happened.  There was a knock on the door.  Jai walked up with Pari in her arms and opened it.  Anu peered over Jai's shoulder.  "Oh she is here with you.  I was worried whether she had chickened out and gone back home."

"Are you ok?" Anu asked stepping into the room.  Bani nodded.  Pari squirmed in Jai's hand until he set her down.  "Anu didi…Bani didi is going to be my momma."

Anu looked at Bani sitting on the floor and at Jai.  "Is it true mamaji?" she asked.

Jai nodded. "Yes…I just proposed to Bani and she said yes."

"Congrats…" Anu shouted and she hugged Jai and then Bani.  "Oh I have to share the news with masi and dadi."  Before she could fish her cell phone out and call anyone, she head Jai say, "No…I will do that Anu.  Don't say anything to anyone until I have talked with masi and dadi."

Anu nodded.  She looked at Bani and then giggled.  "Guess you won't be coming down anytime soon."  All Bani could do was blush.

XXXXX

Masi and dadi looked at Jai, Bani and Pari walking in.  Pari was in the middle holding Jai and Bani's hand.

Dadi nudged masi, "Don't you think they make a beautiful sight."

Masi sighed, "Haan…wish it was for real."

Dadi laughed, "Why don't you go after your munna with a lathi?  Tell him shadi karle…nahin toh lathi kah le."

Masi rolled her eyes, sometimes dadi was lived in her filmi world too much.

Bani shyly greeted masi and dadi.  Pari climbed up on masi's lap and said, "dadi…Bani didi is going to be my mamma."  Dadi chuckled, "Jai…what is my Pari saying.  What have been cooking behind our backs?"

Jai looked solemnly, "Nothing dadi.  I asked Bani to marry me."

Masi glared, "Aree budhu…that is my and dadi's job.  What are we elder for?  Did you ask for my permission first?"

Jai crossed his arms and looked deadpan at masi, "When do I ever take your permission to do anything masi?  And I am the one getting married…so I get to decide."

Masi laughed, she couldn't help keep being irritated any more.  "Come here both of you.  You know I was just teasing."

Bani and Jai touched masi and dadi's feet.  Dadi immediately ordered Tony bring some sweets to celebrate.

XXXXX

Sister Yolanda had tears in her eyes as she hugged Bani.  "I hope you won't forget us.  I am going to miss you."

Bani started to cry to, "Sister please don't cry and you know I will coming to help you regularly.  I will miss all of you…this has been my only home."

Sister Yolanda wiped her eyes.  "You are very special to us Bani.  Because of you I have a great benefactor now.  I know many more children will get a chance to get better opportunities to study further.  Without you where would Pari be?  God bless you all."

Bani wiped her eyes and hugged Sister one more time before walking outside to the car.  Bani sat in beside Pari and looked out the window. Sister Yolanda waved at her.  Bani waved back as the car drove out.

Jai stretched his arm over Pari's head to lay it on Bani's shoulder.  Bani turned her head and smiled at him.  "You ok?" he asked.

Bani nodded her head.  Life had changed in a whirlwind in the last few weeks, the engagement and wedding taking place within short time.  They had just returned from spending a week at Alibaug where Jai had a beach property.  It had been a quiet week, just the three of them and had given Bani time to get to know Jai better.  At their home they hardly had time alone, as there were visitors still hanging around from the wedding.  It was at Alibaug Bani finally realized she and Pari were very lucky to be part of Jai Walia's life.

THE END

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

preeti73 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Very beautiful ans sensitive story...........

Just loved it.......👏👏🤗
kuttu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
it was truly  penned down with lot of emotions. Nicely potrayed the emotions of evryone especially the attachment of Bani and Pari.
A true Christmas story.
Bye
vardhani thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Hey kanta,

That was a beautiful and touching story!!! Jai Walia was awesome as usual.

Sorry for this but there is a factual information, single men can't adopt girls, they can adopt boys but not girls, example the salsa dancer Sandip sopkar had adopted a boy. And it is a long process with medical tests and other procedures.

But indeed it was wonderful story!!!!

God bless

Dhani

MrsKhan-Sobti thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

dat was a beautiful story!!

loved it!!!😃
Edited by teenzs - 15 years ago
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey knata dii
that was such a wonderful story

loved it

it was soo cute, sweet story

thanx dii

jinzcool thumbnail
hey that was nice
pari's and bani's relationship was very well written
loved it alot

k12345 thumbnail
Hi Kanta,

Very sweet and heart warming story.

Jai a wonderful man bringing soo much happiness to Pari and Bani.

Priya
mujer thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Kanta di,

Lovely story.I love your SS for Christmas. Last year's and this one too......

Zaara91 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
very touching story....

sonam