Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged

I know old but this topic comes in various conversations, by renaming Bombay to Mumbai

1. has costed the city it's global identity?
2. Was it the right step?
3. What is right to change (city / Airport / railway ) 's name given by (YOU know who? ) ?

One radio host while mentioning this Mumbai/Bombay name change said - "Indian administration is really very thin skin to rename Bombay or other India cities", was it really that or we wanted more adoptability or the name for people living in those cities? Radio host went on giving an example how US never considered changing Boston / New York, where these cities name hold so much heritage. Tongue

Any other thoughts on having a good Big smile debate / argueable discussion here.

BTW - Read this article for more details on Mumbai's name change http://www.slate.com/id/2145650/ 

Edited by raj5000 - 12 December 2008 at 3:31pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Renaming our cities-loosing international identity" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Similar discussion http://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=465135

My views are still the same. I don't see any need to rename cities. What are we achieving by doing that? Confused
Oh Thanks, I really reciprocate Sowmya views in that post ( quoting her response at the end), regarding changing name good or bad personally, but how is it impacted globally (focus here)? Wern't the politicians thinking global impact before changing names, like a walk in gardenLOLSmile 

Originally posted by sowmyaa

I personally think that calling Bombay to Mumbai just to get the original meaning or it is one of the reason to preserve our culture is the only reason. I think it is more of a ego issue that our culture, our city, our country, should have our name. There is nothing wrong in it, it is considered as a pride. But to me name is not that important. India before independence also had history about Mugal emperor. Like Ahmedadbad comes from Ahmed shah badsha who ruled Ahmedabad so it was not given by britishers. It requires so much effort and useless time to get this one name changed. Despite of changing names many people still call mumbai, calcutta, Madras.... I think my image about Bombay has not changed at all after new name. I am sure there are many out there who least care about names of these cities. Officially it is mumbai on papers and government centers. People have to me careful they don't write Bombay and put mumbai when doing some official work other than that I don't think it is important or useful to any indian. For Ahmedabad political parties have been fighting for over a decade now, and they have taken issue to central now, but it is not easy to get a name changed. I think it is not worth all time and enegery to change names to just preserve our culture. Mumbai to me is still old Bombay I used to visit and it has not lost or gained more to it after name change. But may be it's just me.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 10:46pm | IP Logged

One of our international identity is  that we have wild animals running on the streets, so why not empty our Zoo's(I mean the actual Zoo's not our parliament) into our streets. This way we will cater more to the international audience

Since we are talking about Boston, New York etc, those cities are barely 200-300 year old and the people who named them actually have their decendants living in the nationWinkExact opposite scenario of the Indian cities that are being renamed to their local names

The problem isnt with the international public the problem is with the local folks who dont like the change.One of my mentors mentioned people who dislike change are the ones getting greyer hair and you shouldnt worry about them much since they are more likely to die very soonLOL 

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 6:34pm | IP Logged
I do not care what the international people think. For me I was born and brought up in Bombay. When the name was changed to Mumbai, whatever cultural or historical egoism that prompted the name change held no significance to me. To me Mumbai took something away from Bombay, something inexplicable that I cannot logically point my finger on. Except when I consciously attempt to be 'correct' I usually refer to places as Bombay, VT, Fountain, King's Circle etc. The name changes are absurd and irrelevant in my world.

I find name changing regressive. But then again perhaps I am part of the old graying generation that refuses change. Unless they come and hardwire my brains to think with new names they can change names all they like. I will stick to what I like. And if people feel that spending time, money and energy to officially change names is something really relevant that needs to be done...power to the people.

Athena90

IF-Rockerz

Athena90

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 10:19pm | IP Logged
Personally, i still call mumbai Bombay; Chennai Madras.

I think this re-naming is more of an ego thing and an inssue of pride showcasing the world we are independent and changing all our names and all. It doesnt seem to make more sense than that to me.

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
What is wrong in changing names? I am all for chaging names which were imposed by invaders. Not fair to compare US with India, they have hardly any history compared to us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top