India-Forums

Kasauti Zindagi Ki
Kasauti Zindagi Ki

Channel head upset with show

Manasi_16 IF-Rockerz
Manasi_16
Manasi_16

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 1:32am | IP Logged

Hey guys, must read this. A perfect case of getting a taste of your own mediceneShaheen ParkarShaheen ParkarBig smile

Channel head upset with TV show
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   January 19, 2005

Star One's serial Remix, aimed at the pre-teen/teen segment, has emerged as one of the more successful shows on the channel.

Perhaps a bit too successful, as programming honcho Deepak Sehgal found out at his own cost recently.

In an interview in the inaugural issue of the television magazine, Tele Prime Time, Sehgal talks about how he has stopped his daughter from watching the show after she told his wife to "chillax" and take a "chill pill".

Remix, which unfolds at Maurya High, takes a look at the growing-up pangs of a bunch of students, including a red-haired rebel, who comes from diverse socio-economic backgrounds.

"I won't deny that Remix is having horrible repecussions on kids and parent-child relationships," he adds in the interview.

So is Srishti Behl-Arya's daily teen show causing concern to the channel?
Sehgal vehemently denies the assessment and says that he has been misquoted.

"What I said was that when my daughter told my wife "to chillax" and "take a chill pill", she was taken aback. I told her (his wife) this is the lingo of today's generation. It's like we used to say in our days 'just chill'."

"How can I have that attributed to me?" he continues. "It's our show. How can I make such a comment on something which we want people to see.

Remix is not just a candy-floss show that takes on the love life of students; there are various other aspects to it like socio-economic divides and the growing up dilemmas."

However Sudipta Chattopadhyay, editor, Tele Prime Time, who has also written the story says, "Mr Deepak Sehgal did make the statement. We have the conversation on record. I interviewed him about 22 days ago at the Star Plus office at Marol. He knew it was being taped."

So what was said and what was not? Anyway, as the Remix guys and gals would says, "Puhleese, chillax."

What is Remix?

This daily teen drama on Star One is described as the spirit of urban India, taking on socio-economic divides, peer pressurea and teen dilemmas.

It features four students, Anvesha (Priya Wal), Yuvi (Raj Singh Arora), Ranvir (Karan Wahi) and Tia (Shweta Gulati) — who study at Maurya High.
Ironically, Wal's father, Harsh Wal, is the principal of Lovedale School, Ooty!

My daughter has been stopped from watching it because she asked my wife to "chillax" and take a "chill pill".

So, I won't deny that Remix is having horrible repecussions on kids and parent-child relationships
Deepak Sehgal, executive VP, content and communication, Star, in an interview to a TV magazine

What parents think of remix

Duraiya Lathiwala
Business

I wouldn't like someone come up to me and use such language. The words sound quite offensive and it's not the way I would like my children to address me.

I don't think Indian culture allows usage of such words.

Urvashi Sanghavi
Housewife

Today's generation is very different from mine, so change is due to happen. I watch Remix and these words sound funny and interesting, but at times they give a bad vibe. What is important is how one says these words. I think addressing God, as Bhaggu is fine as long as it is said in good faith.

Madhavi Gandhi
Company director

I would instantly correct my son had he to come up to me and use words. This is not the way we speak in India. Such words take the sanctity of the language away and misinterpret what has to be said. I think the phrase Hey Bhaggu is quite offensive. I wouldn't like anyone using these words to me.

Dereyk Rose
Accounts executive

I wouldn't like my son coming to me and using such words. I think one should refrain from such lingo as far as possible.

Compiled by Tushar Joshi

The Remix lingo

Hey Bhaggu (n): Hey Bhagu, I can't get through this number (as in Hey Bhagwan, Oh God!)
Chillax (v): Just chillax, everything will be fine (a combo of chill and relax)
Duh-uh (adj): Duh-uh, what do you think we were waiting for? (As in how dumb)
Puhleese (adj): Puhleese, stop harassing me! (just the elongated with effect version of please)
Dufus (adj): You are a perfect dufus when it comes to girls ( a duffer)
Sufi (v): Don't take too much tension, just play it sufi (As in cool, it has nothing to do with the mystical Sufis and their music)
Banna (n): You are like my banna, so why worry? ( friend, pal)

Manasi_16 IF-Rockerz
Manasi_16
Manasi_16

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 1:33am | IP Logged
How did you'll like it??
cutereems IF-Dazzler
cutereems
cutereems

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 2:26am | IP Logged

Thanx for article Manasi!

I never watched this show but i have seen the ads.hmmm.... i want to see atleast one episode now.

Ninelives IF-Rockerz
Ninelives
Ninelives

Posted: 19 January 2005 at 6:37am | IP Logged
hey guys here in goa we are yet to recieve star one ..is it any better than star plus???

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top