Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

bollygossipgirl

bollygossipgirl

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged
Bollywood Film a Stunner
by Nadia Smith
Contributing Writer

Based on Fyodor Dostoevsky's short story "White Nights," "Saawariya," directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, is a delightfully bittersweet journey set in the city of the narrator's dreams, where the audience witnesses an enchanting, innocent love story interwoven with darker themes and subplots.

This was my first full length feature film encounter with Bollywood, the Hindi-language film making business based in Mumbai, and it was not one to be forgotten. Though Bollywood always delivers dazzling sets and musical numbers in its movies, "Saawariya" is a truly breath taking visual and musical experience.

The title, "Saawariya," literally means "eternal love," and refers to a love that overcomes all obstacles. "Saawariya" is also the name of the hit song that the film's young protagonist, Raj, sings and the song that also becomes his identity.

Raj, played by Ranbir Kapoor, is the "rock star angel with torn jeans, and a guitar in hand." With such a big buildup I expected some disappointment; and though I was thrown off by his opening dance moves, the character's complete sincerity and sweetness won me over. Just like a hero from a fairy tale, he brings happiness wherever he goes and becomes a true friend to those in need.

One night he meets a mysterious girl waiting on a bridge under a dark umbrella. It's a classic case of love at first sight, and though the mysterious Sakina seems less eager than Raj, they agree to be friends and have several enchanting and playful evenings together. Raj gradually learns that another man may have a hold on Sakina's heart, and jealousy starts to grow within him. Will the rock star angel sacrifice everything in order to secure the woman of his dreams? Will Sakina choose the right man in the end?

While I eagerly waited in suspense for the answers to these questions I enjoyed some stunning dance scenes and mesmerizing music. Mostly composed by Monty Sharma, the score is a throwback to classic Bollywood and more traditional Indian music. Among my personal favorites are "Yoon Shabnami," which has beautiful choreography and lyrics which mix Raj's praises of the moon with praises of Sakina; also included are the cheeky number, "Chahbeela," in which the women tease Raj; and "Thode Badmash," in which Sakina sings about her absent lover.

This film should also be accessible to most Westerners, as it is sprinkled with English words and phrases and its main character is reminiscent at times of some kind of punk rock star.

So, if you're looking for something different to watch this weekend and you're ready to take a trip to a romantic foreign dream world, "Saawariya" just might be the film for you.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Bollywood Film a Stunner - Saawariya" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

babii.girl

IF-Sizzlerz

babii.girl

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged
Thankssss =]

Saawariya is the BEST  movie i have everrrrr seen
it was flawless,perfect

my all time favourite movieee

LifeOLicious

IF-Sizzlerz

LifeOLicious

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged
I love how Saawariya still pops up here and there...and makes an impact on people. SLB should feel proud that his film is still going strong 1 year after it's release.

sunshine93

Groupbie

sunshine93

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged
i absolutely loved the movie too. it was definitely a change from all the masala movies

Raiinie2

IF-Rockerz

Raiinie2

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by admail_bd

I love how Saawariya still pops up here and there...and makes an impact on people. SLB should feel proud that his film is still going strong 1 year after it's release.

Lo.Exactly! Its surely going dwn as a Classic..Way to go! Tongue

Farikina

IF-Dazzler

Farikina

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 10:59pm | IP Logged
For a movie to be bashed up and down, right and left, and have so much negativity surrounding it, it sure is one of most memorable movies ever.

Fell in love with Saawariya, the second I saw the first promo and a year later, that love is still there, stronger then before. Watched the movie probably more then SLB, Ranbir and Sonam combined but can still never get tired of it.

babii.girl

IF-Sizzlerz

babii.girl

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 11:05pm | IP Logged

^^sameee hereee.

this is one movie,where i can never get tired ot wtching it..

and int he ending every tiem Iman comes. im still as like sad as i was when i first watched it

bollygossipgirl

bollygossipgirl

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 4:11am | IP Logged
Yeah, it's quite rare and a little strange that even after a year this film is still being talked about, especially since alot of people disliked it alot.

Interesting to see that international critics/viewers see the film as a masterpiece, yet it's own country wrote it off.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top