Advice of the Week - The Power of a Smile

Posted: 15 years ago

This is Mahi and I am bringing you the Advice Corner's first ever…

Advice of the Week!!! 

Sometimes isn't it just too hard to smile?  Sometimes doesn't it take only microseconds to yell at someone and anyone?  Sometimes wouldn't you rather disappear so you'll never have to think about the problems again?

But hang on, friends, that mood just makes it even more worse! The best way to tackle the problems is to smile!  You see, the problems are allergic to smile..  The more you smile the more they get horrible allergic reactions and the sooner they leave you!

Trust me, it's true.  There are many psychological studies done on this and there's also a phenomenon called the Facial feedback Hypothesis that says that facial movements can influence the emotional experience.  Try this if you want to.  When you're having a really bad day, get a pencil and put it in your mouth horizontally so it's making your face twitch a little bit into a smile.  After a few minutes, you'll realize that you're actually feeling better.  Then when you're feeling good, put the pencil in your mouth vertically so you're sort of making an "O" with your mouth.  That's sort of the frowning expression and people tend to feel worse after a few minutes of doing this.

On a serious note, really, the more optimistic you think the better you are able to deal with the problems.  Just say you can and sooner or later you will be able to.

One of these days, we come across people who are having a bad day.  Instead of ignoring them because they might end up ruining your day, go up to them and present a smile.  Trust me, if you try hard enough you'll get one back!  And you'll also make someone's day.

I am sure you're smiling by now.  It's hard not to smile looking at all those pictures, right?  Do the same with others, smile and make them smile! I hope advice reaches your heart!

Lots of Love,

Mahi

I agree! A simply smile goes a very long way. If someone is having a bad day just smile, and try to make the person laugh, and you can truly make their day! :)

Originally posted by Gossip Girl

I agree! A simply smile goes a very long way. If someone is having a bad day just smile, and try to make the person laugh, and you can truly make their day! :)

And that'll make your day as well... Just the fact that made a difference, slight difference yes, but a difference in someone's life means a lot!

-Mahi

its sooo true Mahi..its just a smile which can change our lives..its a magical power that all of us have but we need to use it n make others happy as well as ourselves happy
Soo true..bt den sum ppl find it diff 2 smile also.!!
Great post, Mahi! I especially like the pictures of the cats and dogs... awwww...! Moving on, I agree with what you've said... but sometimes even though you smile and laugh, it still feels like you're camouflaging the way you really feel inside... you feel terrible but just so people won't know that, you have a smile on your face for them.... but most of the time, it does help if you change your frown into a smile!
Originally posted by chhilt

Great post, Mahi! I especially like the pictures of the cats and dogs... awwww...! Moving on, I agree with what you've said... but sometimes even though you smile and laugh, it still feels like you're camouflaging the way you really feel inside... you feel terrible but just so people won't know that, you have a smile on your face for them.... but most of the time, it does help if you change your frown into a smile!

I agree Chhilt, but someone once told me that the world laughs with you but no one wants to cry with you.  So even if you are feeling terrible, don't let it ruin everyone else's day... and usually people just avoid you if you're having a terrible day... So it's better to hide it and if you try and stick to positive thoughts good things will happen to you 😳

-Mahi

Originally posted by -Mystery-

I agree Chhilt, but someone once told me that the world laughs with you but no one wants to cry with you.  So even if you are feeling terrible, don't let it ruin everyone else's day... and usually people just avoid you if you're having a terrible day... So it's better to hide it and if you try and stick to positive thoughts good things will happen to you 😳

-Mahi

Very well said, Mahi.... I agree!
So true!! Smiles are like non-touching hugs!

Seriously!

That would mean i hug every1!!!?

lol..Really tho, a smile makes ppl feel good, bc who would ever feel bad at a smile?
so true i love when child smiles it makes by day ........ it just a beautiful thing to see a child smile ... when child smiles automatically  smile comes on face