Who's your favourite author?

Posted: 15 years ago
Hey guys 😊 I don't know if this question has been asked before but anyway... who's your favourite author and why?
Yep, I remember this was discussed ages ago and I cant seem to find the link to the post anyway! 😆

Favorite author - Hmm, would have to be quite a few really, but from the recent ones I have read, I like JK Rowling - It may appear obvious , that is she being the author of the HP series is a favorite, but for me , I like the command that she displays over the detail through her narration not giving away too much and yet never letting you realize it. There is enough detail, not too much, not too less and the glaring fact that she knows all the details, whether you need to know or not! I love that feeling, when I am aware while reading a book, that the author knows a lot more and is not jus writing randomly! The thought that has gone into the book and the detail of the facts and the character is what makes the books so interesting and makes her definetely my favorite author!

Detail in narration comes fairly or rather may come fairly easy when writing about things that exist, but about a world completely imaginary and in a convincing manner at that ,  is I believe is quite a task and she has managed to get it across in such a simple convincing manner!

I have enjoyed other author's works as well, but she definetely stands out for me, since such deep attention to detail in narration is something that I am incapable of myself in narration, and she leaves me in awe with that talent!

A author who tells a story in as simple a manner as can be , in a simple language and yet thoroughly gripping manner - Thats J K Rowling!!

Whoops, I seem to have gone on and one again! Oh when will I learn really!! ??!!! 😆
Edited by sareeta - 15 years ago
my fav author wud be Rabindranath Tagore..as m bengoli so i love his writings..moreover erich segal's rmantic novels r gud
Chhilt - Great topic!

However, it's awfully hard for me to pick my favorite author at this point... I just love and admire so many writers that it's hard to pick one because each one of them is unique and it's something about their own style that makes me love their writing.  I'll highlight some authors on the top of my list.

J.K. Rowling - Who thought she won't be on my list? 😳😆 On a serious, note, she's just incredible! For some reason I always prefer the omniscient narrating style than third person or limited.  Because in that way I get to know what all the characters are thinking which makes it easier to relate to all the characters instead of the main ones.  But Rowling just highlights Harry's point of view but you still can't help but love her style.  Her humor and the style that she uses to reflect that teenager thoughts and friendship and everything teenagers are all about is just amazing!  I also love the fact that she hasn't Harry this unbeatable and undefeatable character who never makes mistakes because after all humans do make mistakes.  I love the fact that Harry does make mistakes but it's how he deals with them and his weaknesses that makes him even more special.

Cornelia Funke -  "Inkheart" and "Inkspell" are just two amazing books I have read by her!!  Her words seem more magical than the magic in the world of her novels.  The way she gives voices to all her characters is just commendable.  I can relate to both the novels really easily and I remember I finished them in a few days.  Couldn't help but admire her writing style!

Dan Brown - Although many people think that he's the greatest mystery writer of all times, I dare to disagree because in all of his books, I was able to guess who the culprit was at most half way through the book and I have read "Angels and Demons," "The Da Vinci Code," "Digital Fortress," and "Deception Point."  But the one thing I absolutely adore about his writing style is humor.  Even in the gravest of situations he puts in a line that's so hilarious and gets me laughing real hard. 

Khaled Hosseini - I have read "The Kite Runner" by him and boy, it touched my heart!  I have to say it's become one of my all-time favorites and one of a kind! I cried many times in the book and I could so understand and relate to the characters.  It was like I was watching them with my own eyes instead of just reading about them.  He has written the book very very very well and three cheers for that! I just love his style... the words he used just touch your heart and I'll never forget "For you a thousand times over."

So there you go, my list contains about 10 different authors but I have read like a book or two by them....

-Mahi

Edited by -Mystery- - 15 years ago
Great choices everyone! Mine would have to be....

J.K Rowling (of course)! For the same reasons as Sareeta and Mahi have stated above...

Jacqueline Wilson: I love the way she writes... you can relate to the characters so well and it' usually has really humorous moments too... I can read them over and over again!

Agatha Christie: Now this is the only mystery writer in whose books I cannot guess the culprit of the crime commited. I just managed to do so in one book which was The Hollow....

And so yeah... there are tons more but these are the ones that i can actually give a reason for!
I added Khaled Hosseini to my list as I just absolutely love "The Kite Runner!" "For you a thousand times over" will always be one of my all-time favorite quotes!

-Mahi

Originally posted by -Mystery-

I added Khaled Hosseini to my list as I just absolutely love "The Kite Runner!" "For you a thousand times over" will always be one of my all-time favorite quotes!

-Mahi

Exactly  - I loved the book , and was also deeply moved by it! This certainly is one of those books, that leaves a heavy ddeep ffeeling in your heart , like a lump in your throat! And the one line certainly goes down into my favorite list!

Originally posted by sareeta

Exactly  - I loved the book , and was also deeply moved by it! This certainly is one of those books, that leaves a heavy ddeep ffeeling in your heart , like a lump in your throat! And the one line certainly goes down into my favorite list!

Exactly! You described it so so so beautifully!  I have read so many books that were enjoyable granted! But after I was done with them, I didn't think about them that much.  But I finish this last night before my Bio exam and I kept thinking about it.. About the ending that so beautifully written!  I kept thinking about Sohrab and how Amir finally became what I wanted him to be.  It was so close to real life and some lines are still dancing in my head... Beautiful, beautiful book! I recommend it to anyone and everyone!

-Mahi

Megan Mccafferty. Her writing style is so jagged and thought provoking and HILARIOUS.
Edited by suuunshiine - 15 years ago
Milan Kundera!

Read his books - Ignorance, Incredible lightness of being and a few others and absolutely love his writing style! It flows with an ease and seems simple and yet is so deep!

Will edit later in the day - have a lot more to say, about this author, who introduced me to a new style of writing altogether!
Edited by sareeta - 15 years ago