Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

_rajnish_

IF-Dazzler

_rajnish_

Posted: 15 November 2008 at 2:02pm | IP Logged

Seven Great question and great reply

Seven questions of Garuda and Kakabusundi's replies to them

1. Which form of all is the most difficult to obtain?
  2. Which is the greatest misery?
  3. Which is the highest pleasure?
  4. What are the innate disposition of, or the essential characteristics of the saints and of the evil-minded?
  5. Which is the highest religious merit made known in the Vedas?
  6. Which is the most terrible sin?
  7. What is the disease of the mind?

Kakabusundi replied:

1. There is no other form as good as the human body: every living creature ? whether animate or inanimate - crave for it. It is the ladder that takes the soul either to hell or to heaven and again to final beatitude, and is the bestower of blessings in the form of wisdom, dispassion and devotion. Men who fail to adore Sri Hari even after obtaining this body, and wallow in the basest pleasures of the senses, throw away the philosopher's stone from the palm of their hand and take bits of glass in exchange for the same.

2. There is no misery in this world as terrible as poverty.

3. There is no blessing as great as communion with saints.

4. Beneficence in thought, word and deed is the innate disposition of saints. The saints undergo suffering in the interest of others while impious wretches do so with a view to tormenting others. Tender hearted saints, like the birch tree, submit to the greatest torture (even allow their skin to be peeled off) for the good of others; while the wicked, like the hemp, have their skin flayed off and perish in agony in order to be able to bind others (in the form of cords). Like the rat and the serpent, the wicked injure others without any gain to themselves. Having destroyed others' prosperity they perish themselves, even as the hail dissolves after destroying the crops. The elevation of the wicked, like the rising of the comet- which is a detestable heavenly body- is a source of calamity to the world. The advancement of a saint, on the other hand, is ever conducive to joy, even as the rising of the sun and the moon brings delight to the whole universe.

5. A vow of non-violence is the highest religious merit known to the Vedas.

6. There is no sin as grievous as speaking ill of others.

7. Note now the diseases of the mind, from which everyone suffers. Infatuation is the root of all ailments and from these again arise many other troubles. Lust is a counterpart of wind and inordinate greed corresponds to an abundance of phlegm; while anger represents bile, which constantly burns the breast. Should all these three combine, there results what is known as Sannipata (a derangement of the aforesaid three humours of the body, causing dangerous type of fever ). The cravings for the manifold pleasures of the sense, so difficult to realise, are the various distempers, which are too numerous to name

The feeling of mineness corresponds to ring-worms, envy represents itches, while joy and grief correspond to a disease of the throat marked by an excessive enlargement of the glands (goiter). Grudging contemplation of others' happiness represents consumption; while wickedness and perversity of soul correspond to leprosy. Egotism is the counterpart of the most painful gout; while hypocrisy, deceit, arrogance and pride correspond to the disease known as Dracontiasis (which is marked by the presence in the body of a parasite known as the guinea-worm). Thirst for enjoyment represents the most advanced type of dropsy; while the three types of craving (those for progeny, riches and honour) correspond to the violent quartan ague. Jealousy and thoughtlessness are the two types of fever. There are many more fell diseases, too numerous to mention.

People die even of one disease; while I have spoken of many incurable diseases which constantly torment the soul. How then can it find peace? There are sacred vows and religious observances and practices, austere penance, spiritual wisdom, sacrifices, Japa (recitation of prayers), charity and myriad of other remedies too; but the maladies just enumerated do not yield to these.>

Thus every creature in this world is ailing and is further afflicted with grief and joy, fear, love and desolation. I have mentioned only a few diseases of the mind; although everyone is suffering from them, few are able to detect them. These wretches, the plague of mankind, diminish to a certain extent on being detected, but are not completely destroyed. Fed by the unwholesome diet of sensuality they sprout even in the mind of sages, to say nothing of poor mortals. All these ailments can no doubt be eradicated if by Sri Rama's grace the following factors combine.

There must be faith in the words of the physician in the form of a true preceptor; and the regimen is indifference to the pleasure of the senses. Devotion to the Lord of the Raghus (Sri Rama) is the life giving herb; while a devout mind serves as the vehicle in which it is taken. By this process the ailments can certainly be eradicated; otherwise all our efforts will fail to get rid of them. The mind should be accounted as cured only when the heart gathers strength in the form of dispassion, appetite in the shape of good resolutions grows stronger and stronger every day and weakness in the form of sensual appetite goes. (Being thus rid of all diseases) when the soul bathes in the pure water of wisdom, the heart is saturated with Devotion to Sri Rama.

It would be easier for the hair to grow on the shell of a tortoise, or for the progeny of a barren woman to slay anyone or for flowers of every description to appear in the air than for any creature to be happy even though hostile to Sri Hari. Sooner shall thirst be slaked by drinking of a mirage or horns sprout on a hare's head or darkness efface the sun than a creature who has turned his face against Sri Rama find happiness. Sooner shall fire appear out of ice than an enemy of Sri Rama enjoy happiness. Sooner shall butter be churned out of water or oil be extracted from sand than the ocean of worldly existence be crossed without adoring Sri Hari: this is a conclusion which cannot be set aside. The Lord can exalt a mosquito to the position of Brahma (the Creator) and degrade Brahma to a position lower than that of a mosquito. Realising this, the wise discard all doubt and worship Sri Rama.

I have told you my considered views and my words can never be untrue; Men who worship Sri Rama are able to cross the most turbulent ocean of mundane existence.

From The Tulasi Ramayana, Uttara-Kanda, Chopai 120:

Edited by rajnish_here - 15 November 2008 at 11:58pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

smitar

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Some great quotes from Ramcharitramanas" in Ramayan forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_rajnish_

IF-Dazzler

_rajnish_

Posted: 15 November 2008 at 2:08pm | IP Logged

victory chariot of sree ram

Question: How can one, standing alone on the ground, bare feet, and without armour to protect the body, defeat the opposition who is mounted in a battle tank?

From Tulasi Ramayana, Lanka-Kanda Chopai 79

Vibhishana was disconcerted when he saw Ravana mounted on a chariot and the hero of Raghu's line (Sri Rama) without any (chariot). Vibhishana's great fondness for the Lord filled his mind with diffidence; and bowing to His feet he spoke with a tender heart:

"My Lord, you have no chariot nor any protection either for your body (in the shape of armour) or for Your feet (in the shape of shoes). How then, can You expect to conquer this mighty hero?"

"Listen, friend:" replied the all-merciful (Sri Rama), "the chariot which leads one to victory is quite another. Valour and fortitude are the wheels of that chariot, while truthfulness and good conduct are its enduring banner and standard. Even so strength, discretion, self-control and benevolence are its four horses that have been joined to the chariot with the cords of forgiveness, compassion and evenness of mind.

Adoration of God is the expert driver; dispassion the shield, and contentment the sword. Again, charity is the axe; reason, the fierce lance and the highest wisdom the relentless bow. A pure and steady mind is like a quiver; while quietude and the various forms of abstinence (Yamas) and religious observances (Niyamas) are the sheaf of arrows. Homage to the Brahmins (priests) and to one's own preceptor is an impenetrable coat of mail. The hero who happens to be in possession of such a strong chariot can conquer even that mighty and invincible foe, attachment to the world. There is no other equipment for victory as efficacious as this. My friend, he who owns such a chariot of piety shall have no enemy to conquer anywhere."

Edited by rajnish_here - 15 November 2008 at 2:10pm

desichica

IF-Dazzler

desichica

Posted: 15 November 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged
Wonderful & outstanding information rajnish......very knowledgeable.....Clap   CheersSmile   Thank you Again!!!!!

jingjing

IF-Dazzler

jingjing

Posted: 15 November 2008 at 9:09pm | IP Logged
Thanx Rajnish bhaiya..Clap

sita11

IF-Stunnerz

sita11

Posted: 16 November 2008 at 3:18am | IP Logged
WONDERFUL post rajnish !!!
absolutely great !!
such fabulous queries by GARUDA & fabulous & true replies by kagbhusandi !!!! very very great post !!!
thanks a bunch !!!

Edited by sita11 - 16 November 2008 at 3:31am

Mallika113

IF-Sizzlerz

Mallika113

Posted: 16 November 2008 at 3:25am | IP Logged
Wow, great post RajnishSmile   Loved all the philosophical answers and the questions.
This kind of info makes everyone think in a positive way about their life. Thanks for
taking the time to post such thingsSmile

sam1903

IF-Dazzler

sam1903

Posted: 16 November 2008 at 4:04am | IP Logged
Thanks Rajnish for posting this beautiful quotes from...Ram Charit Manas...
well when i was reading this part of Ram Charit Manas.... i was thinking that which is the pious place where Kakbhusandi is living..
i seriously want to know it...
i know its a crazy ques..... but still this ques was cropping in my mind again and again when i was reading this part....

Edited by sam1903 - 16 November 2008 at 4:04am

_rajnish_

IF-Dazzler

_rajnish_

Posted: 16 November 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged
Thanks folks for liking my postEmbarrassed. your great appreciation and reply always encorage me to post something goodTongue

Originally posted by sam1903

Thanks Rajnish for posting this beautiful quotes from...Ram Charit Manas...
well when i was reading this part of Ram Charit Manas.... i was thinking that which is the pious place where Kakbhusandi is living..
i seriously want to know it...
i know its a crazy ques..... but still this ques was cropping in my mind again and again when i was reading this part....

kakbhusandi lives in nilgiri mountains. I want to narrate a good story of kakbhusandi from uttar kand of ramayan. here i go...
______________________________________________________________________________________
Lord Shiva had narrated the whole story of Sri Rama to Parvati - the story which was originally narrated by Kakbhusundi to Garuda. Parvati was wondering why did a scholar like Kakbhusundi have a body of crow? Parvati also wondered how did Kakbhusundi come to know about the tale of Sri Rama? She also inquired Lord Shiva as to how did he know about Sri Rama's tale

Parvati said-

"Garuda was himself a great scholar, then why did he go to Kakbhusundi to seek knowledge?"

Lord Shankar was very pleased. He narrated the whole story-

"O Parvati! In your first incarnation, you were the daughter of Daksha. Disrespect was shown to you during the Yagya performed by Daksha. You left your mortal body commiting self immolation. My Ganas had then destroyed the Yagya and beheaded Daksha. You know this whole story."

"I was wandering from this mountain that, unable to bear the sorrow caused by your separation. I saw a beautiful mountain, which had a beautiful lake beside it. Numerous colourful birds were summering in the lake. There were three trees on the bank of that lake - a fig tree, a Banyan tree and a 'Pakar' tree. The water of the lake was very cool. A crow also passed his life there meditating and chanting the name of God. He used to narrate the divine tales of Sri Hari to all the other birds. When I saw this extremely religious and virtuous crow, I decided to spend some time with him. So in the guise of a swan, I remained with him for some time and then returned back to Kailash. Parvati, this way I met Kakbhusundi."

"Now I will narrate how Garuda met Kakbhusundi. While the battle between Sri Rama and Ravan was on, Meghnaad had tied Sri Rama with Nagapash. Narad had requested Garuda to go and free Sri Rama from the Nagapash. Garuda devoured all the snakes and freed Sri Rama but had become arrogant. A doubt cropped up in his mind regarding Sri Rama's divinity. He thought that if Sri Rama could be tied in the Nagapash of a demon, then how could he be considered as an almighty God. Narad sent Garuda to Lord Brahma who sent him to me. At that time I was going to meet Kuber so I told him to go and meet Kakbhusundi, where all of his doubts would be cleared."

"Garuda then went to Nilgiri Mountains where Kakbhusundi lived. When he reached there he took bath in a lake. Kakbhusundi was just about to commence the story of Sri Rama when he saw Garuda coming. He asked about the reason for his sudden arrival. Garuda then requested him to narrate the tale of Sri Rama, so that all of his delusion could be cleared. Kakbhusundi narrated the whole story. He also told Garuda that only the feet of Sri Raghunath were capable of liberating and salving."

Garuda then inquired Kakbhusundi about the reason for the persistance of doubts in his mind and their removal as soon as he reached his hermitage. Kakbhusundi then narrated the tales of his numerous births. He said -
"In the Kaliyuga of previous Kalpa, I was born at Ayodhya, in the family of a Shudra. I was a devotee of Lord Shiva and I used to show disrespect to all the other deities, except Lord Shiva. Once Ayodhya faced a draught so I migrated to Ujjain where I met a Vedic Brahmin, who was a great devotee of Lord Shiva, but he did not show disrespect to Sri Hari. He engaged me as his servant but used to treat me like his own son. He taught me Shiva-mantra. I used to do worship of Lord Shiva but became very arrogant. When he saw my arrogant nature, he became very sad. He would try to convince me to change my ways, but without any effect. Once, I was worshiping in the temple, right then my guru arrived. I did not greet him. Though he himself did not become angry but Lord Shiva cursed me to take birth as a python. My teacher prayed to Lord Shiva to have mercy on me. At his request Lord Shiva blessed me with immortality. This way I took thousand of births."

Kakbhusundi continuing with his narration said-

"I was then born in a Brahmin family. In this birth I was a great devotee of Sri Rama. When my parents died, I went to forest. The sages preached me on the formless qualities of God, which were not to my liking, because I wanted to listen only to the glories of Sri Rama. The sages became angry with me for my inablity to understand the real nature of God. They cursed me to become a crow. I became a crow, but they had mercy on me and advised me to meditate on the child form of Sri Rama. They also blessed me that my place of residence would be free from all kinds of delusions. I came to this hermitage and I have been living here since then and twenty-seven Kalpas have passed during this period. Here I engage myself in singing in praise of Sri Rama. Whenever Sri Rama takes his incarnation at Ayodhya I make a point to visit it."

When Kakbhusundi completed his story, Garuda said-

'Now all of my doubts have been cleared."

He greeted Kakbhusundi and went back to lord Vishnu's abode.

Tulsidas while elaborating on the importance of Rama's name says that nothing but only the name of Rama is capable of salvaing in this Kaliyug.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Post Reply New Post

Go to top