Balika Vadhu

India-Forums

Articles Archive (Page 9)

niveditha IF-Sizzlerz
niveditha
niveditha

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:15am | IP Logged
Neha Marda gets nervous on Boogie Woogie

Neha Marda (Gehna of Balika Vadhu on Colors) was invited as a special guest on the show Boogie Woogie, in an episode featuring all its former winners. Neha has won the title thrice so far and her experience shooting for the special episode proved very nostalgic, and overwhelming, for the actress.

NEHA says, "I'll be seen performing at the start of the show's grand finale. In the episode, all the champions of the show will compete against each other."
The actress was initially asked to be a judge but she felt that she was not worthy of the position. She says, "I was told by the Boogie Woogie team that I deserved to be on the show. In fact, they also asked me to judge but it would be impossible for me to sit with the judges who selected me thrice as a winner."

So instead, Neha performed on the song Sajna Hai Mujhe Sajna Ke Liye. "I had only half an hour to rehearse and I did it in my vanity van! Still, it was fun being back on the show," she adds.

Neha has won the Boogie Woogie title thrice: when she was 11, 15 and 17-years-old.
Yet, she still had the jitters when she went onstage again. She adds, "I have done many stage shows and performed at awards functions too. So the stage has never been daunting for me. But when I got on to the Boogie Woogie stage, all the memories came rushing back! I remembered how I would wait for Javed's questions and how I would get scared before every elimination. Memories from all three times on the show were all jumbled in my head."

The actress, who is trained in bharatnatayam, kathak, jazz and salsa, refused to take any payment for her appearance on the show. Even so, she didn't leave empty handed. She says, "When they called me, I was so excited at the chance to perform after such a long time that I was jumping everywhere. They asked me for a quotation but I would have been ashamed to take money from them. I flatly told them that I did not want anything. Even so, they gifted me a gold and diamond necklace. I took it as their blessing."

Asked whether she would ever consider being on a dance reality show, Neha says, "I don't know what the criteria behind dance reality shows are but I would love to be on one."

Boogie Woogie, judged by Ravi Behl, Naved Jaffrey and Javed Jaffrey, airs every Friday and Saturday at 8pm on Sony.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090430_136

CeruleanSky IF-Rockerz
CeruleanSky
CeruleanSky

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Shyam, a new character, is being introduced in the Singh household. Shyam is a curious young man who comes to visit the Singhs from the city. Although from the same village and community, his stay in the city makes him oblivious to the traditions practised in the village.

Cool, confident and a big prankster, Shyam begins his stay at the Singh household on the wrong foot as he plays a prank on Sugna during his introduction to her. Gradually, once he acknowledges his true feelings for her, Shyam's only purpose in life is to see Sugna happy. Well now what remains to be seen is whether Sugna will be able to get over Pratap in order to accept Shyam's feelings for her. Will she reciprocate? And will the audiences enjoy this track? Time will tell.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TV-/Sugna-to-fall-in-love-again-/articleshow/4467598.cms

CeruleanSky IF-Rockerz
CeruleanSky
CeruleanSky

Posted: 03 May 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged
Ten year old Avika Gor , who plays Anandi on top rated Balika Vadhu , a TV show which takes a look at child marriage , got her father to write in her dream for us .

Her dream was to meet her big screen idol Hema Malini. Besides loving her acting in all her past hits, Avika adores her dancing skills too. Hema Malini agreed to meet her willingly.

We reached Hema's house with Avika, who was in a state of high excitement. Her attire hinted that she had come directly from her shoot. Hema warmly welcomed Avika, saying, "I feel like I already know you, watching you every day on TV." Avika gifted her a photo-montage of her many screen and off-screen avatars. Hema thanked her for the cute gesture.

Noticing that Avika had worn her screen costume, Hema said, "It's nice that you get to wear these lovely colours." Avika smiled shyly at this.

Hema added, "Show me your earrings. Oh! But you wear this all the time. You should get new earrings now." Avika chuckled at Hema's meticulous attention to detail.

Hema was interested in Avika's future too. She asked, "Have you thought about what you want to be eventually?" Avika was prepared for this one, "I want to be Miss Universe," she stated. Hema looked stumped, for once, at Avika's confidence.

Avika now decided to quiz her idol. She asked, "When did you start dancing?" Hema paused to think, then said, "I was six when my mother introduced me to Indian classical dance. I gave my first stage performance in Delhi when I was eight."

"And how did you move into acting?" asked Avika. Hema replied, "I am a trained dancer, not a trained actress. There were no acting schools in my time anyway. But learning classical dance and performing on stage helps in acting. There are items designed for story-telling through expression as dance is just body language. Then, memorising dance steps enhances your memory, so you become mentally sharp (to remember dialogues) and also stay physically fit."

Avika prodded further, "So, was it easy from the beginning?" Hema confessed, "When I started acting, I was a shy 14-year-old girl. My directors used to scold me a lot. But later, I realised that their scolding was actually to help me improve and I worked on every tip given to me. Today, I can hardly believe that I've done over 200 films."

Finally, Avika announced her true dream, "Hema aunty, will you teach me to dance?" Hema flashed her trademark smile, and said, "Of course, I will. But I can only teach you classical dance. I plan to start an institute soon and I promise that when I do, you will be my first student." Avika's happiness was evident from the shine in her eyes. She thanked Hema for the meeting and went home thrilled at the prospect of actually learning dance from her idol.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TV-/Meetigng-your-dream-girl/articleshow/4478839.cms
CeruleanSky IF-Rockerz
CeruleanSky
CeruleanSky

Posted: 04 May 2009 at 2:56am | IP Logged
Telly ministry

Vandana Shukla/ Hill Road Media

Elections are just around the corner and with the small screen ruling the hearts of the viewers already, we imagine the elections being held in the television world and elect our own set of stars to fill the required ministries.

Surekha Sikri

President: Dadi sa of Balika Vadhu

Dadi sa played by Surekha Sikri on Balika Vadhu (Colors) fits best to this post. She has an excellent command over the entire family and rules everyone. Right from her grandson to her grand daughter-in-law, she keeps everyone on their toes. She is responsible for every single decision taken in the family.

Smita Bansal

Home Minister: Sumitra of Balika Vadhu

Sumitra of Balika... (Colors), portrayed by Smita Bansal, is the only name that comes to mind when we think of someone who takes proper care of the family. Sumitra takes care of everyone's sentiments and helps out in every possible way she can.

She is a perfect homemaker; a combination of a good wife, a good daughter-in-law, mother and mother-in-law. Hence, she is perfect for this post.

Source : http://www.indya.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?aid=92
CeruleanSky IF-Rockerz
CeruleanSky
CeruleanSky

Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:08am | IP Logged
Posted in the forum by aditisilawat = D

'I want the Bindaas feel in whatever I wear' - Vibha Anand

Vibha Anand talks about her likes when it comes to fashion..

Edited by CeruleanSky - 04 May 2009 at 4:09am
CeruleanSky IF-Rockerz
CeruleanSky
CeruleanSky

Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:37am | IP Logged
The new face of terror!

In conversation Surekha Sikri has given mother-in-law a new meaning, writes ANUJ KUMAR

Lalita Pawar is OUT! Surekha Sikri in "Ballika Vadhu"

Television is replete with snarling mothers-in-law. But since Surekha Sikri has taken stage, as the hard-nosed Dadi-sa in "Ballika Vadhu", others seem to be innocuous overdressed ladies. Result, the series has become the number one show o n TV. Riding on its success, Colors has become number two in the general entertainment segment, which is seeing some real cut throat competition these days.

A veteran of art-house cinema, with two National Film Awards and a Sangeet Natak Akademi Award to her credit, Sikri agrees the role has overshadowed all her past performances in terms of sheer popularity or notoriety! "Right people have always noticed my work, but this is the first time that the masses are appreciating my work," says Sikri.

Among these right people, Shyam Benegal tops her list, as she has always been a usual suspect in his cast! In fact, she won her second National Award for the best actress in a supporting role for Benegal's Mammo. "He draws the maximum out of me."

She got her second National Award for Tamas, but after the touching performance, she was hardly seen on the small screen. "When television lost touch with literature and inanity descended, I decided to avoid the medium, but I couldn't say no to 'Ballika Vadhu', because after a long time I got a script where I could showcase my potential as an actor."

Opportunity is the key

An NSD graduate, Sikri holds opportunity is a big word in the entertainment medium. "Your talent is useless, unless you get a role. The bottom line is script is the backbone of any performance. I can make a character layered, as people say Dadi sa is, only if script gives me an opportunity to be vulnerable and arrogant at the same time. I am fortunate that I got to play all I wanted in theatre; otherwise it is quite frustrating for an actor. "

But it seems good times are back for actors. Naseeruddin Shah has again become a name to reckon with at the box office. And Sikri is holding fort on television. She gives in for a hearty laugh.

"The advantage with actors is they never age. Hum lambi race ke ghode hain. Stars fizzle out within a few years." Sikri holds what makes Dadi-sa special is it is not an out and out negative character.

"She has a viewpoint, it may be old fashioned or traditional but at the same time she is protective of her sons and at times even daughters-in-law. It makes her real. I am not from Rajasthan, but over the years I have seen and read about such characters. They are amidst us. It helped me as an actor because such people and their behaviour are there in your sub conscience."

As for how much she associates with Dadi-sa, Sikri says, "See, I love to play characters which are true to themselves. It helps me in making them convincing. Beyond that it is all script." She is all praise for young Avika Gaur, who is playing the title role. Some cynics have found her an actress with a single expression, but Surekha begs to differ. "She is too young to bring in the layering. For her age, she is quite expressive. Give her a chance, she will excel."

Influential!

Still isn't it a role which could influence people of Dadi-sa's age-group, old-fashioned, traditional…in the long run? "I don't really know, but it is a possibility. In serials, since the negativity is allowed to play for a much longer period of time in comparison to films, it could influence people."

As always, the industry is now after her to cash in the popularity, but Sikri knows the tricks of the trade too well. "I will not give in. Right now there is no time, either. A daily soap takes away seven-eight hours a day."

------------------

Source : http://www.hindu.com/mp/2008/11/17/stories/2008111750380100.htm

CeruleanSky IF-Rockerz
CeruleanSky
CeruleanSky

Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:38am | IP Logged

'Acting is my hobby'

Avika Gor says she doesn't use glycerine for tears

A natural Avika Gor with her award

In the fifth standard, there was a chapter in my history book which said Raja Ram Mohan Roy worked for the abolition of child marriage. I knew only this much about the subject of Balika Vadhu."

Actors love to share their research for the character, but Avika Gor has hardly anything to say to back her stature. This 11-year-old recently won the best actress award at the Indian Television Academy Awards, beating stiff competition from the much experienced 'bahus' and was nominated for the Indian of the Year in the entertainment category at the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year awards. For her, acting is a hobby and 'shooting-shooting' is her favourite game.

Avika's day out

Avika's rise is also reflective of the ambitions of the Indian middle class. She lives with her father Sameer Gor. He drives her everyday from school to the sets in his Maruti 800. "My day starts at 7 a.m. First I go to school. Then my father takes me to the studio for shooting. It takes us more than an hour. The shooting lasts one to four hours."

She is specific about the timing as four hours is the legal limit for a child to shoot.

But she never gives you the impression that her quotes are rehearsed. They come out as naturally as Anandi's (her character in the serial) inability to make out why a baby boy is preferred over a baby girl. "I rehearse my dialogues with my father. He tells me as much I need to know about the background. Some things I have learnt during the series. Like even today there are girls in Rajasthan who are married at a very young age. I want to tell them good days will come again. But I still don't know why dadi sa (played by Surekha Sikri) wants a baby boy."

The breaks are used to complete her homework, she says. "The good thing is Avinash (who plays her husband in the series) and I are in the same class. We share notes and help each other."

Some months back she said that she wants to become Miss Universe. "I still want to. I want to be a model and will continue to act."

niveditha IF-Sizzlerz
niveditha
niveditha

Posted: 06 May 2009 at 5:21am | IP Logged
Calling their mood

Vandana Shukla/ Hill Road Media

A caller tune can tell a lot about a person…well, at least about their taste in music and maybe their mood. So we called some of television's favourite stars to listen in on theirs, and no, we didn't just hang up after a few rings.

Showing 1 of 5 images Previous    Next
Vibha Anand

Vibha Anand

Character: Sughna
Show and channel: Balika Vadhu, Colors
Caller tune: Tenu Leke from Jai Veeru

Does your caller tune change with your mood?
I've kept this caller tune because I love the music as it has a Punjabi flavour. The tune I select depends on my mood and which song I like at the time.

How often do you change it?
Whenever I feel people might be fed up of listening to the same old song!

http://www.indya.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?aid=162

Go to top