Users

Frequent Posters

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago

Death has made me famous: Jehangir

22 Apr 2009, 0000 hrs IST, ZEENIA F BARIA

Email   Discuss  Share  Save   Text:

His death was mourned by a phenomenal number of people.
Jehangir Vakil

When Jehangir Vakil died (on screen, of course!), it catapulted the young actor to fame and the serial, Balika Vadhu, to the number one slot. And although the show has now slipped from its numero uno position, Jehangir is still basking in the recognition it has fetched him. "I can't believe death made me so famous!" he says with a laugh.

"The adulation feels great. Working on the show was a fantastic experience. Sugna is a lovely co-star, I miss working with her the most. I knew that my character had to eventually die so I was prepared for my exit. What I wasn't expecting was the response from viewers," he grins.

Unknown to many, the young actor signed on his first film role before Balika Vadhu. "I'm currently working on three films — Kaccha Nimbu, Paathshala and Mera Bachpan, where I play different roles. I landed the role of Pratap quite by chance. They called me for an audition, shortlisted me and I was in," says Jehangir who describes himself as a shy, down-to-earth guy who loves to act.

"I didn't always want to act. I wanted to become an IPS officer but I hated studying!" says the actor who doesn't come from a filmi background. "I entered the industry quite by chance. None of my friends belong to the acting arena."

Jehangir now is waiting to do a negative role. "I think I have that bad boy look to carry off a baddie's role. It would be a great learning experience. Right now my priority are films but I'm open to more interesting television roles, too," he signs off.
CeruleanSky thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Jodhpur, Apr 22 (ANI): Young television actor Avika Gaur motivated school children here to take a pledge against child marriage.
Avika interestingly plays a child bride herself in the popular soap opera, 'Balika Vadhu'.

"I am too young to talk about it, but I know that this is a bad thing. Like it is shown on my show that an eight year old is married. She has to be away from her parents, leave her studies, which are very important. She leaves her friends and was given responsibilities, which she was unable to understand. She just had to sit with her head covered. This is a bad thing," she said.

She campaigned against child marriage and made people take a pledge to neither be involved in child marriage nor let child marriages happen.
The writer of the show accompanied her. Thousands of school students were present to support the cause and take the pledge.
"I just want to say that the government legislating laws against child marriage and implementing them is not enough. We all need to understand the pain these children go through. They are robbed of their childhood. There needs to be social uprising against this custom so that it stops," said Purnendu Shekhar, the writer of the television show.
According to last official census in 2001, 6.4 million persons under the age of 18 were married, with Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh accounting for a large chunk of such marriages. By Yogesh (ANI)

Source : http://www.littleabout.com/2009/04/21/child-star-of-balika-vadhu-campaigns-against-child-marriage/
niveditha thumbnail

CeruleanSky thumbnail
Most serials claim to uplift society; then why do superstition and blind faith still play a big role?

Visuals of milk or kumkum being spilled, a black cat crossing someone's path, a widow attending a festivity or heavy thunderstorm signaling bad omen are common on television. Family dramas may have been shown the door for quick-fix entertainment like reality shows, talent hunts, savvy travel shows and celebrity interviews save for one glitch — shows peddling superstitions still abound, and they are popular too. For all the tech-suavity the industry utilises, television content is still rather, er, backward. "It is the thrill that makes these shows popular. One may not practice black magic, but watching how voodoo works does make for very compelling television," says Prerna Pahua, a regular viewer of Black on 9X.

Other serials like Shubh Kadam, Mata Ki Chowki, Rahe Tera Aashirwaad, Mahima Shani Dev Ki, Balika Vadhu, Shree and Koi Aane Ko Hai perpetuate superstitions and use them as devices to add dramatic high points. Sunjoy Wadhwa, producer of Balika Vadhu on Colors, says that superstition is often used as a drama element. It is a prelude to what's coming next to keep the viewer gripped.

With most serials set in villages these days, showcasing superstitious practices becomes a must, he feels. "These beliefs are an inherent part of the story. And the semi-urban population is prone to superstitious practices," he justifies.

According to 29-year-old mediaperson Dhriti Nath Dayal, "Superstition is ingrained in the Indian mindset. Most of us grew up believing that black cats are ominous. To date, most of us hang lemon-and-chillies outside our home's front door. When such issues are addressed, it forms an immediate connect with the viewer, especially the older lot."

Producer JD Majethia of Shree on Zee TV admits that the show has elements of blind faith but says: "No matter how educated a person is, beliefs like vastu shastra and astrology are built into our mental makeup." Majethia is only playing on the Indian psyche. "Most serials end on a freeze point; I wanted every scene to end on a freeze point. Superstitious elements always intrigue people," says the producer. Smita Bansal of Balika Vadhu seconds his view. "Most of us want to know if the "beliefs" we have grown up with are real and justified. If someone says he or she can prove that God exists, I'm sure everyone will flock around to know what that person has to say."

Most people believe that superstition came into prominence on television when czarina Ekta Kapoor brought elements of superstitious beliefs like unlit lamp signifying bad luck and a dried up tulsi plant signaling the end of something. With her new show Koi Aane Ko Hai, Kapoor is again being accused of peddling superstition. Kapoor clarifies, "These things (superstition) happen in real life and if you want to ignore them and sweep them under the carpet, that's your call."

Balika Vadhu may be publicised as a socially relevant show, but even this one rides high on superstition. Every time the young widow on the show attends a ceremony or is seen at a celebration, she is criticised. Doesn't this impact the mind of the viewer in the long run? "There are several regressive beliefs and customs in our society which a writer uses to tell his story. But the basic purpose is to isolate the wrong and highlight the right. We have to first present the problem to provide a solution," says Wadhwa.

Er, okay.

Source : Express India

CeruleanSky thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
While the entire household will be celebrating Anandi and Jagdish's wedding anniversay , Anandi's best friend Phooli faces her worst nightmare.

According to tradition, Akhaa Teej is one of the most auspicious days in the Hindu calendar and one doesn't need a mahurat to start anything new on that day. While the entire household is enjoying the day with family and friends, Anandi misses her Phooli who is unable to make it to the party. It is then learnt that Phooli's parents are getting their little daughter married off to an old man on this auspicious day!

The episode today in Balika Vadhu on Colors, is filled with a lot of twists and turns. Now what's to be seen is if Anandi will quit her own celebration to save her friend from this impending misfortune? Or will she bow down to traditions and see her friend suffer?

Source : TOI
niveditha thumbnail
Avika Gor is on a mission

Avika Gor, who plays Anandi on Balika Vadhu (Colors), is taking the show's theme to promote awareness about child marriage to heart. That's why she recently gave a speech on the subject at a rally orgainised by NGO Varta Manj in Jodhpur.

"I went to Jodhpur on April 20 for one day," says Avika, "there was this NGO that had organised a rally which supported the banning of child marriages. So they called me to make the kids take an oath."
Talking about the experience, Avika says, "I was very excited to be a part of something like this. It was a first time for me."

Avika's father tells us more about the event, saying, "Every year, Varta Manj organises a rally to promote awareness about some social issue or the other and it is held on the occasion of Akhateej. This year, they called Avika as she is a part of Balika Vadhu, a show which deals with child marriage."

The rally was a child awareness programme, attended by 3000-4000 kids who participated in the 3km marathon. "After that, Avika gave a small speech and then all the kids took an oath with her that they would never support child marriages," adds the father.

Purnendo Shekhar (Balika's writer) also accompanied Avika to Jodhpur as it is his hometown. He even helped her prepare the speech.

Avika's father says that the response to her talk was wonderful. He adds, "Every child wanted to come and speak to Avika. The NGO people are so happy with the response they have got and now plan to put hoardings of Avika over the entire city of Jodhpur."

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090428_126

niveditha thumbnail
Vibha Anand is set to scare!

Vibha Anand is all set to make a scary appearance on Shree (Zee TV). The actress plays Kangna, a spirit who has possessed Bindiya's (Madhurimma Tuli) body and is creating trouble for her cousin Shree and the family.

FROM playing the simple girl Sughna on Balika Vadhu to an evil spirit in Shree, an excited Vibha says the experience has been wonderful. She adds, "I've worked very hard to portray this character Kangna. I just hope and pray that audiences accept me."
Anand talks about her look on the serial, saying, "I will have very long hair, wear a white salwar kameez and bandhini ki odhni… I just love my look! I worked hard on my voice and expressions because I have to sound and look convincing."

The actress took up the role because she longed to play a negative character. "Firstly, I wanted to play negative role and secondly, the character sounded very interesting. As an actor, I can learn a lot from it and hence I accepted," says Vibha.

The 17-year-old hasn't ever had a supernatural experience yet she is terrified of ghosts. "I've heard of many stories but I've never experienced it myself. But I do believe that evil exists and I am very scared of ghosts!" she says.

However, she loves watching horror movies, saying, "I can't watch them alone but I do love watching scary films with my mom. I loved Raaz and I also saw Koi Aane Ko Hai's first story- it was awesome. I just loved Leena Jumani's work."

Vibha shot for her role on Shree yesterday and her entry will be telecast tonight at 10:30pm on Zee TV.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090430_135

niveditha thumbnail

Vibha Anand scared of ghosts...

The actress who essays the role of a spirit in Zee's Shree is actually scared of ghosts in real life

niveditha thumbnail
Neha Marda gets nervous on Boogie Woogie

Neha Marda (Gehna of Balika Vadhu on Colors) was invited as a special guest on the show Boogie Woogie, in an episode featuring all its former winners. Neha has won the title thrice so far and her experience shooting for the special episode proved very nostalgic, and overwhelming, for the actress.

NEHA says, "I'll be seen performing at the start of the show's grand finale. In the episode, all the champions of the show will compete against each other."
The actress was initially asked to be a judge but she felt that she was not worthy of the position. She says, "I was told by the Boogie Woogie team that I deserved to be on the show. In fact, they also asked me to judge but it would be impossible for me to sit with the judges who selected me thrice as a winner."

So instead, Neha performed on the song Sajna Hai Mujhe Sajna Ke Liye. "I had only half an hour to rehearse and I did it in my vanity van! Still, it was fun being back on the show," she adds.

Neha has won the Boogie Woogie title thrice: when she was 11, 15 and 17-years-old.
Yet, she still had the jitters when she went onstage again. She adds, "I have done many stage shows and performed at awards functions too. So the stage has never been daunting for me. But when I got on to the Boogie Woogie stage, all the memories came rushing back! I remembered how I would wait for Javed's questions and how I would get scared before every elimination. Memories from all three times on the show were all jumbled in my head."

The actress, who is trained in bharatnatayam, kathak, jazz and salsa, refused to take any payment for her appearance on the show. Even so, she didn't leave empty handed. She says, "When they called me, I was so excited at the chance to perform after such a long time that I was jumping everywhere. They asked me for a quotation but I would have been ashamed to take money from them. I flatly told them that I did not want anything. Even so, they gifted me a gold and diamond necklace. I took it as their blessing."

Asked whether she would ever consider being on a dance reality show, Neha says, "I don't know what the criteria behind dance reality shows are but I would love to be on one."

Boogie Woogie, judged by Ravi Behl, Naved Jaffrey and Javed Jaffrey, airs every Friday and Saturday at 8pm on Sony.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090430_136

CeruleanSky thumbnail
Shyam, a new character, is being introduced in the Singh household. Shyam is a curious young man who comes to visit the Singhs from the city. Although from the same village and community, his stay in the city makes him oblivious to the traditions practised in the village.

Cool, confident and a big prankster, Shyam begins his stay at the Singh household on the wrong foot as he plays a prank on Sugna during his introduction to her. Gradually, once he acknowledges his true feelings for her, Shyam's only purpose in life is to see Sugna happy. Well now what remains to be seen is whether Sugna will be able to get over Pratap in order to accept Shyam's feelings for her. Will she reciprocate? And will the audiences enjoy this track? Time will tell.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TV-/Sugna-to-fall-in-love-again-/articleshow/4467598.cms