Balika Vadhu

Articles Archive - Page 3

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 15 years ago

Cut, copy, telecast

When originality doesn't pay off, going the tried and tested way seems to be an easy solution. The latest trend among channels is to wait and watch for a show to become a hit. The moment it does they churn out identical shows.

When Colors' Balika Vadhu made waves on the small screen, The channel came up with another two serials with child protagonists. Uttaran is the story of a poverty-stricken child and the soon to go on air — Laado — talks of female infanticide.

Ashwini Yardi, programming head for Color, feels child protagonists provide a relief from family dramas. "Kids have been successful in raking in the TRPs and channels want to to cash in on the fresh appeal that they lend to the show," says Yardi.

However, it's not just shows with child protagonists that have been duplicated. Ghar Ki Laxmi Betiyan and Radha ki Betiyaan Kuch Kar Dikhayengi are centred around the theme of daughters standing up for their families in tough times. Both Saat Phere and Bidaai deal with the problems that a dusky girl faces because of the Indian bias towards her complexion.

Purnendu Shekhar, the story writer of Balika Vadhu and Saat Phere, admits there are loopholes in the working pattern of the television industry but holds viewers responsible for the trend. "I agree serials today are repetitive, but viewers like these concepts and have encouraged this trend. We are just catering to their demands," says Shekhar.

However, Dheeraj Kumar, producer of Ghar Ki Laxmi Betiyaan, blames recession for the current trend witnessed on TV. "In the current scenario neither broadcasters nor the production houses want to take risks. Everyone wants to follow the sure-shot way to success and avoid experimenting," says Kumar.

The cloning of successful formulae has made it difficult for creative directors to showcase their talent. The success of Star One's Laughter Challenge's first season was not only followed by more seasons but the show's format was re-created on different channels. Where Sony still continues with seasons of Comedy Circus, Colors came up with Chote Miyan. The only difference being the latter has children as contestants.

Sanjay Upadhyay, creative head for Sony Television, says, "As long as the the shows are doing well I don't think there is a need for change. When viewers grow tired of these shows we will come up with something new."

Even singing and dancing reality shows look like clones of each other. Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, Voice of India and Indian Idol have the same content with dramatic walk outs staged by the judges. Chore- ographer and judge on Star Plus Nach Baliye, Saroj Khan says, "I am fed up of these reality shows. It's high time the channels gave us innovative and interesting programmes."

With inputs from Sanskriti Media Entertainment

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tv-guide/cut%2C-copy%2C-telecast-088

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Everyone wants to be my best friend: Avinash

All of television's sons-in-law, eat your heart out. Avinash Mukherjee has marched ahead in popularity ratings, and how.

The cute Jagdish of Balika Vadhu was shortlisted from 200 kids to play the role of Anandi's better half. And the feisty little youngster is now a household name.The most appealing thing he says that attracted him to the role was it's story. "The concept of child marriage creates so much awareness in society. I feel proud to be part of such a show," he says. Learning lines come easily to him. "Thankfully I'm just given a few Rajasthani terms, the rest of the time, I speak in Hindi. Words like 'thare' and 'mhare' aren't really difficult to learn," he says nonchalantly. Among his co-stars, he speaks most highly of his stern Dadisa. "Everyone is great to work with. Each day is a learning experience. Surekhaji always motivates me to do better and teaches me on how I can improve my performance. I also enjoy Anandi's company ' we've become good buddies thanks to the serial."

And although he's been bit by the acting bug, fame is yet to change him. "Fame hasn't changed me as a person but astonishingly it's changed the people around me! My schools friends who never used to interact with me much, post the show, have started talking a lot, they even ask me for autographs and do whatever I tell them to do," he says with that cheeky grin.

Is he also hoping to go the Bollywood way like other child actors? "Yeah, I have received several offers, but right now I'm happy to focus on one show. My studies are important to me and I would hate to sacrifice them for anything. I intend on getting a degree in Software Engineering before jumping headlong into acting. But Bollywood does interest me and I'd love to be an actor when I grow up," says Avinash who's favourite Bollywood stars incidentally happen to be Shah Rukh Khan and Katrina Kaif. "I do find it a bit strange that my friends treat me differently and give me so much attention ' everyone wants to be my best friend suddenly," he says with a laugh.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/TV-/Everyone-wants-to-be-my-best-friend-Avinash/articleshow/4143439.cms
ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Telly's Yummy Mummies!

You wouldn't believe it with their drop dead gorgeous figures, but many of our small screen actresses are mothers. We take a glance at the five actresses who, despite being mummys, look simply stunning and sexy.

Sexy mummy no.2: Smita Bansal

The onscreen Sumitra of Balika Vadhu is a mother to a 5-year-old girl. Her killer, vivacious beauty make her look young. That, combined with her flawless body, would leave anyone trying to guess her age extremely puzzled.

Link http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/February/News_20090217_94
niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Sugna's onscreen marriage

Vibha Anand, better known as Sugna of Balika Vadhu (Colors), will soon tie the knot onscreen and her character is all set to finally go to her in-laws place. She talks to us about her reel and real life marriage.

"It feels like I am actually getting married," blushes the onscreen bride, "I am simply enjoying it. Haldi aur mehndi lagwaakar bahut mazaa aa raha hai."
Vibha tells us about the rituals that will be followed on the show, "It will be nothing different as such. Haldi toh ho hi chuki hai, mehndi, ladies sangeet, shaadi aur fir bidaai ye sab dikhayenge."

As for her outfit, "Nothing has been decided as of now. Jewellery has also not been decided. All I know is that it will be a lehenga but even the colour has not been chosen," says Vibha.

On the show, Sugna is the type of girl who secretly meets her boyfriend, is Vibha similar in that respect? "No, I would tell my mom if I was going to meet my boyfriend."

And how comfortable is Vibha with bold sequences? "Abhi tak toh aise kuch aaye nahi and I am sure Balika mein aise scenes aayenge bhi nahi," blushes Vibha.

When it comes to her own wedding,17-year-old Vibha is far from eager, saying, "I am not at all excited as I am too small for it. First, I've to grow in my career. Marriage is very far."

Vibha says she shares an amazing rapport with her onscreen brother Jagdish. She tells us, "Waise toh I am close to almost everyone like Smita ji, Avika, Anoop ji and Neha but if your talking about buddies, then it has to be Avinash, who plays Jagdish. We all play cricket when we are not shooting or else we just hang out together, order coffee and enjoy that."

Vibha made her acting debut through Balika. She is from Dehradun and will give her 12th exams this year. Talking about her views on child marriage, she says, "I am truly against it as I feel that all kids should be given the time to fulfill their dreams. Also, girls and boys should be treated equally."

Presently on the show, the whole family is busy with Sugna's premarital ceremonies. Her gavna is estimated to be aired by the middle of next week.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/February/News_20090221_115

shruti thumbnail
Bump-er episode

Balika Vadhu does a Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. Shocks viewers by bumping off a key character unexpectedly

By Kunal M Shah
Posted On Friday, February 27, 2009 at 02:10:50 AM

Jehangir Vakil
Balika Vadhu fans were in for a bad shock when they saw the Wednesday episode of the serial dealing with child marriage.

The makers shocked viewers by suddenly killing the character of Pratap, played by Jehangir Vakil.

The Balika Vadhu office is flooded with calls since the last couple of days, enquiring about the reasons for Pratap's death. In fact, many are also wondering if the character will make a comeback, just like Mihir Virani did in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, few years ago.

Reveals our source, "Balika Vadhu enjoys high TRPs. Its viewers were looking forward to Pratap's marriage to Sugna, played by Vibha Anand.

Expecting a happy event in the serial, viewers were aghast when they saw that Pratap is murdered by dacoits. 

Actually, Pratap was not a popular character with the audience, but Sugna has a huge following. Viewers love her, so when the serial took the unexpected turn, they haven't liked it.

Vibha Anand in Balika Vadhu
In fact, many callers are sympathising with Sugna and saying that they cannot see the need to bring more grief to her life and are demanding where the serial is heading."

We too wonder whether Pratap will be back in the story or not. Ashwini Yardi, the programming head of the channel offers some clarity, "Pratap is dead and won't be coming back. Balika Vadhu is a realistic show."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/12/20090227200902270210505601fbdb25/Bumper-episode
niveditha thumbnail
Why Balika Vadhu is so successful

Nothing, it seems, can go wrong with the serial that deals with child marriage!

KEEPING up with competition and how, Balika Vadhu (Colors, Monday-Friday, 8 pm), has just jumped to the top spot on television with the highest ratings of 10. Much of the credit goes to the death sequence of Sughna's groom Pratap (--this episode fetched the channel the highest number of TRPs.
"It feels great when people praise you for your work," says the onscreen Sughna (Vibha Anand), "I know we have been getting a very good response from fans, especially after Pratap's death. My friends and relatives called me and told me ki tune toh hamari ankhon mein paani laa diya (your acting made us cry). I was really touched by these words."

Vibha does not believe death sequences will always play an important role in upping the show ratings: "Balika has always been number 1 and it is solely because of the teamwork and coordination between the cast and crew."

Smita Bansal, who plays Sughna's mother Sumitra, also feels the same way. She says, "It is the simplicity of the show that works rather than its death sequences. I am aware the recent rise in the ratings is because of that (death) episode, but I would rather say that changes help a show raise or drop TRPs. It is necessary to break the monotony; it can be any sequence (that ups the ratings)."

Despite the drastic change in the character Sughna, from a fun-loving girl to being completely timid, Vibha says she hasn't faced any complications when it comes to acting. She adds, "There is no difficulty. Our director helps me with any problem I face, and then it comes out naturally. I have learnt not to take it as a challenge; but to enjoy every scene and get into the character totally."

How difficult is it to shoot those emotional sequences with moist eyes? Vibha Anand says, "It is not at all difficult. I love change, and I love the change that has happened to my character. I do use glycerine for tears, but I should say that glycerine helps us emote, not bring tears."

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/March/News_20090309_39

niveditha thumbnail
Veebha Anand:
I will celebrate Holi this year with friends. We are planning to go to the Water Park and enjoy. My best Holi was onthe sets of Balika Vadhu. We played with the director, the cameraman and the entire team.

Favourite Holi song : Rang Barse

Neha Marda:
I will be going to my home in Kolkata and will have lots of sweets. In the evening, we have the traditional ceremony where the family gathers for prayers and we take blessings from our elders before playing with colours. The best holi was when my brother got married last year. That was a few days before Holi and on the day of the festival, we all played with my bhabhi and brother. Since my bhabhi was a new member of our family, we enjoyed playing Holi the most that year.

Favouritre Holi song : Do me a favour, lets play Holi...

Anoup Sonie:
This year, I will be out of town and shooting in Punjab, so no Holi for me. All my Holi experiences have been pretty good. I just love this festival of colours. The worst I can remember is the one when I was shooting the whole night before Rang Panchmi and the next day, when I woke up, my friends and relatives had finished playing. I was very disappointed at that moment.

Favourite Holi song from the movie : Maar de gulal, from Kamchore

Smita Bansal:
I am luckily not shooting this year, so will be playing Holi with my family. The best Holi was before my marriage when a lot of us friends played Holi together. It was a lovely time. We even tried bhang. The worst Holi was when I was in the 4th standard and one of the kids from my locality put tar on my head. I had pretty long hair and had to cut it short.

Favourite Holi song : Saath rang mein khal rahi hai dil walo ki toli...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/TV-/Tele-stars-all-set-for-Holi/articleshow/4250118.cms
niveditha thumbnail
Farida Jalal in 'Balika Vadhu'!!
[26 Mar 2009]
Farida Jalal, the veteran actress of bollywood and television, is all set to enter Colors' popular show 'Balika Vadhu'.

Farida Jalal will enter the show as Jiji (elder sister) of Kalyani masaa (Surekha Sekri). Farida's character will add new dimension to Surekha's role and will take the storyline forward.

Kalyani masaa's softer side will be revealed to the viewers for the first time through Farida Jalal, when the two sisters will be re-living their childhood like little girls. Farida's character will also be reprimanding Kalyani for her haughtiness

After a long time Farida Jalal will be seen on television. Explaining her reasons, the veteran actress says, 'Yes, it has been a long break for nearly two years after Shararat went off air, but I always tell people, who come with offers that it is very easy to tempt me to work. All I need is a good script and a good character. By God's grace I have no dearth of offers, but at my stage I have to think twice before agreeing to do anything. So, I certainly take time before saying yes to anything.'

http://www.magnamags.com/index.php/200903263823/showtime/tv-news/farida-jalal-in-%91balika-vadhu%92.html
niveditha thumbnail
Farida Jalal's back on TV

After playing a comic naani in Shararat (Star Plus), Farida Jalal is back to the small screen with a very challenging and different role. She is seen playing 'Badi Jiji sa' in Balika Vadhu (Colors). The delighted badi jiji sa spoke to us about her comeback.

"I am playing Kalyani's elder sister. She stays in a city and so her thinking is very different from that of Kalyani. She is practical about things and will try to pass on some advice to her sister. She has come to bring in relief and happiness to the tense environment. Kalyani will also listen to her because she is elder to her, she will bring a change in her frigidness too," reveals Farida.
Excited about her comeback, she tells us, "Balika is a very good show, it gives its viewers a social message and there are many other plus points too. There was no reason to say no to this offer. I've comeback for a positive cause and my character is very strong. Most importantly, they have signed me for a cameo. It is a very challenging comeback for me and I hope viewers love it."

It has been a while now since the veteran actress started shooting. She tells us about her experience, saying, "I will bring about changes in Sughna's life. I will ease her life to an extent. I've shot for many sequences with her."

Even before she started shooting, the Farida followed the show regularly. She says, "One good thing about Balika Vadhu is that there are many repeats in a day. Even if you miss the evening telecast, you can catch up with it other time. I used to follow it quite regularly."

She has already worked with Surekha Sikri earlier and she is very happy to work with her again. She says, "We played sisters only in Shyam Benegal's Mummo in 1974. I admire her as an actress and respect her personally too. She's a great lady and it's really nice to work together after so many years."

Talking about the similarity between herself and her character, she says, "Yes, I am very much like my character in real life too. I too take a stand against anything I don't agree with."

On her role not being a full-fledged one, the actress says, "I know that physically, it's not possible for me to do a daily at this age. This role will only be for about two months and this is the reason I took up the offer. At this age, this much hard work is not possible! If the responses are good and I am asked by the channel to continue, then I might agree. The character is very exciting."

Farida Jalal entered the show on Thursday. Balika Vadhu airs from Monday to Thursday at 8pm on Colors.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/March/News_20090331_149

niveditha thumbnail

Vibha Anand, the spirit in Shree...

It is finally Vibha Anand of Balika Vadhu fame who bags the coveted role of the spirit Kangana in Zee's Shree..