Most over-rated book(s).

Posted: 15 years ago
I'll edit this with a big RAMBLE later.

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

Twilight series is def. up there on the most overrated (mainly Edward is over-rated).

Also, the catcher in the rye..oh god, oh so over hyped.

-Navi.
I totally agree with you on Twilight... and... I can't think of any right now!
Oh , I've come across a few, and the one that springs to mind is those Chetan Bhagat Series !

And Twilight - I havent read it so can't really comment, but a lot of people I know think that it is over-rated , especially calling ti the next Harry Potter phenomena!
i think harry potter series were awesome!!
@dream - agree the harry potter series are awesomeand I am huge fan myself, but twilight being touted as the next phenomena was a bit odd considering the genres of the books itself is quite different!

I haven't read Twilight so can't really comment but I disagree about Catcher in the Rye.. it's one of the good books I have read and it really touched my heart.

I can't think of any over-rated books... But I do think that many plays by Shakespeare are overrated!  Please I don't mean to offend Shakespeare's fans at all and I have read many plays by him but my most favorites ones are not in the top Shakespeare's plays list at all instead Romeo and Juliet is and I don't like it at all.

-Mahi

Nice to know that everyone is on board about twilight being overrated. I actually read twilight in the summer of 2007..before it got insanely popular.. Stephenie Meyer in whole is sooo overated. She's merely mediocre. Only reason why it got to this level is because of the silly infatuation with Edward Cullen.. im personally a team jacob girl (:

Catcher in the rye is good..but it did not live up to the expectations I had for it.. I mean the book is HUGE. Mark Chapman was mad over it [he killed john lennon].. and I didn't really catch on to what was so enticing about Holden.. I liked holden, he was sweet? [lack of better word] and yet so off.

Also, lovely bones by alice sebold.. the book could've been so amazing.. great setup and a fantastic hook right from the start.. I did cry a couple of times..but the ending was so weird and stupid.. and I hated how in one page is quickly rushed what "happens" to Mr. Harvey [he was the villian].

and Twilight is clearly no Harry Potter..
wrong topic.

sorry/
Edited by suuunshiine - 15 years ago
Originally posted by sareeta

Oh , I've come across a few, and the one that springs to mind is those Chetan Bhagat Series !

And Twilight - I havent read it so can't really comment, but a lot of people I know think that it is over-rated , especially calling ti the next Harry Potter phenomena!

I totally agree with you on Chetan Bhagat's books. In my humble opinion , the reasons why Five point someone got so popular is because
1. The English is 6th Grade stuff.
2. It's set in an IIT, something which everyone loves to talk about, but few know anything about.
3. It has a college guy having some nice time (U Got it) with his Prof's daughter and then running away in Prof's car wearing Prof's clothes, which is the story of an ultimate Indian romance/comedy (I am still undecided).
4. It brings alive every (insane) youngster's dream - No Studies, Smoking, Eating, Sleeping in every (sane) youngster's dream - IIT.

other overhyped books , acc to me are The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks , 1984 by George orwell ,
The God of small things by Arundhati Roy , Jane Eyre , Wuthering Heights and Pretty much everything by Isaac Asimov . Will add more later, ifi remember others

As for Twilight, i beg to differ from the general consensus..I have read the series myself and so far it is the only love story series/saga that kept me interested in the character's life beyond 1 book.. I am personally more of an Edward fan simply because despite being too (seemingly ) perfect for existence he istoo damn believable and loveable.That being said, I will have to say the last bookof the series- Breaking Dawn was the yuckiest book i have read in a while. Agreed its no Harry potterand not a literary achievement, its still worth a read if someone is looking for teenage romance. Besides, the hype is more due to the movie than the book.
Comparing JKR and SM is like comparing John Grisham and Meg Cabot

Edited by Ritika2025 - 15 years ago

Twilight: Anne Rice meets Harlequin is not my idea of a good plot. But it is quite obvious why the book was such a huge success in the YA market. Meyer gave young girls what Rowling didn't - a fantasy romance their parents would let them read.

The Inheritance of Loss: Good technique, bits and pieces of the book did resonate with me, but did not deserve the Booker Prize.

Satanic Verses: Perhaps I'm too dumb, but I do not understand what Mr. Rushdie is trying to convey through this book.

Wuthering Heights: I have a serious distaste for brooding alpha-male protagonists who bore the heck out of me.