Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
I'm so happy to see this topic! After going to school and having a long day at work, it's nice to see the people who believe in change! I live in Kentucky, and most of my friends and everyone at work was really mad McCain lost and were being rude about Obama! 😑 I really got angry at them! I was like "If McCain won, at least us Obama supporters know how to show respect!" 😑

I really liked McCain's speech though! I mean he knew he was going to lose, and he did sound a bit upset (I don't blame him either), but he did a great job with his speech last night! πŸ‘

OOOOHHH Obama! Where do I begin? I just LOVED LOVED LOVED his speech! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘The aura and presense he brings, the voice that reaches straight to my heart and rings in my ears...The presense he brings makes me never want to look away and miss something he said. He is an AMAZING public speaker, and last night's speech really really showed it! It was sooo clever! Loved how he talked about the 106 year old lady, and all the change she has seen!  Loved how he talked about us----the voters----the people of America! Amazing and beautiful family! Amazing and beautiful person! 😳

Obama brings change and hope for America which is sooo necessary for this time and era! He brings change and new, fresh ideas! It's time America saw a new light! It's time for America to be born anew! It's time America see change! It is time! And we did it America by electing Barack Obama as our president! πŸ‘

Love you Obama, and congratulations! πŸ‘ I know you will make America proud! πŸ˜ƒ

It has been an honor to vote in this election! It has been an honor to see history happen right before my very eyes! It is an honor having Obama as president! I screamed so loudly last night when CNN annouced Barack Obama as the 43rd president of the United States of America, I at first thought it was a dream! I turned up the volume and listened again. Then I screamed out of joy! I watching CNN last night like a man watches football! πŸ˜†

I prayed soo hard that Obama would win! I fought with my mom and others sooo many times for him! Now, I feel all this hope and anxiety was put to good use! Thank you America! πŸ˜ƒ Without everyone's votesand support this would never have happened! YES WE DID!!!πŸ‘

Remember: YES WE CAN!

safeplacetoland thumbnail

I just moved to US...............I dunno much about elections but I guess Obama was supposed to win!! U noe Bush was such crazy guy...........u noe guys i have dis funny mail with bush wearing a ghagra and puppet dancing.........ny1 wants it just tell me i will email it to all of u or perhaps paste it on IF if thts legal!

Nidheya
shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
great topic Fatima!! Well deserved to make a new begining and bring back glory!!!
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Some more things I remembered to write! πŸ˜†

All I have to say is: Thank you America!!!! πŸ‘

YES WE CAN AMERICA, AND YES WE DID! This is the first step towards change. Gone are those days when a colored child is told, "No, you cannot be president!" Gone are those days when women are told, "No, you cannot be president!" Gone....! This election was never about Repulican or Democratic. It was about CHANGE. Yes we did it America!!! Yes we did!

So now never forget: YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! πŸ‘

Edited by tulipbaby53 - 15 years ago
rajkin thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Euphoria all over.So good for the world.
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Originally posted by: nidhieya

I just moved to US...............I dunno much about elections but I guess Obama was supposed to win!! U noe Bush was such crazy guy...........u noe guys i have dis funny mail with bush wearing a ghagra and puppet dancing.........ny1 wants it just tell me i will email it to all of u or perhaps paste it on IF if thts legal!

Nidheya

i think you'll get in trouble for posting it on IF, but i want to see it! i'll PM you my e-mail ID!πŸ˜†
ixray thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Jimmy%20Smits%20with%20Barack%20Obama%20in%20September%202005

Jimmy Smits, who played the West Wing's Matthew Santos, with Barack Obama in September 2005. Photograph: Chris Greenberg/Getty

Devotees of the West Wing have been talking about it for weeks: the uncanny similarity between the fictional presidential contest that dominated the final seasons of the acclaimed TV show and the real-life drama of this year's election.

Both the real and imagined campaigns have centred on a young, charismatic candidate from an ethnic minority, daring to take on an establishment workhorse with a promise to transcend race and heal America's partisan divide.

But there's a twist.

For what those West Wing fans stunned by the similarity between the fictitious Matthew Santos and the real-life Barack Obama have not known is that the resemblance is no coincidence. When the West Wing scriptwriters first devised their fictitious presidential candidate in the late summer of 2004, they modelled him in part on a young Illinois politician - not yet even a US senator - by the name of Barack Obama.

"I drew inspiration from him in drawing this character," West Wing writer and producer Eli Attie told the Guardian. "When I had to write, Obama was just appearing on the national scene. He had done a great speech at the convention [which nominated John Kerry] and people were beginning to talk about him."

Attie, who served as chief speechwriter to Al Gore during the ill-fated 2000 campaign and who wrote many of the key Santos episodes of the West Wing, put in a call to Obama aide David Axelrod.

"I said, 'Tell me about this guy Barack Obama.'"

With the Latino actor Jimmy Smits already cast for the show, Attie was especially keen to know how rising star Obama approached the question of his race. Axelrod's answers helped inform Santos's approach to his own Hispanic identity.

"Some of Santos's insistence on not being defined by his race, his pride in it even as he rises above it, came from that," Attie said.

The scriptwriter also borrowed from Obama's life the notion of a superstar candidate. "After that convention speech, Obama's life changed. He was mobbed wherever he went. He was more than a candidate seeking votes: people were seeking him. Some of Santos's celebrity aura came from that."

The result is a bizarre case of art imitating life - only for life to imitate art back again.

In the TV show, Santos begins as the rank outsider up against a national figure famous for standing at the side of a popular Democratic president. There are doubts about Santos's inexperience, having served just a few years in Congress, and about his ability to persuade voters to back an ethnic minority candidate - even as his own ethnic group harbour suspicions that he might not identify with them sufficiently.

But the soaring power of his rhetoric, his declaration that the old divisions belong in the past and his sheer magnetism, ensure that he comes from behind in a fiercely close primary campaign and draws level with his once all-commanding opponent. Every aspect of that storyline has come true for Barack Obama. Axelrod, now chief strategist for the Obama campaign, recently joked in an email to Attie: "We're living your scripts!"

What's more, the West Wing had the Republicans choose between a Christian preacher - a pre-echo of Mike Huckabee - and an older, maverick senator from the American west whose liberal positions on some issues had earned the distrust of the party's conservative base: a dead ringer for John McCain.

In the West Wing, the McCain figure emerges comfortably as the party's choice. Apparently the character was not based on the current Republican frontrunner, but was simply a function of the casting of Alan Alda.

"It was always an inside joke on the West Wing that the show had a prophetic quality," recalls Attie, now a writer and producer of House, starring Hugh Laurie.

Various political scenarios sketched out on the programme would often materialise within weeks of airing. But the 2008 campaign, Attie concedes, is in an entirely different league.

There are small differences of course. Santos had a white wife - stressing, says Attie, Santos's standing as a "post-racial figure" - while Michelle Obama is African-American. Ms Obama is the more outspoken, but with two young children each, both are equally photogenic.

Obama aides will be hoping that the West Wing's prophetic streak holds: Santos eventually emerged as the Democratic nominee from a brokered convention - and went on to win the presidency.

Barack Obama v Matt Santos

Barack Obama

Young, handsome and charismatic member of Congress, attempts to become America's first non-white president.

Began political career as a community organiser in a big city (Chicago) before winning first election at local level. Married, with two young children.

Faced stiff opposition in Democratic primary against occupant of the White House during previous Democratic administration (first lady Hillary Clinton)

Rivals attack him as inexperienced after just four years in Congress, but triumphs through grassroots support, inspiring speeches and message of change.

Republican opponent is veteran moderate senator from a western state, unpopular with conservative base (John McCain of Arizona).

Matt Santos

Young, handsome and charismatic member of Congress, attempts to become America's first non-white president.

Began political career as a community organiser in a big city (Houston) before winning first election at local level. Married, with two young children.

Faced stiff opposition in Democratic primary against occupant of the White House during previous Democratic administration (vice president Bob Russell).

Rivals attack him as inexperienced after just six years in Congress, but triumphs through grassroots support, inspiring speeches and message of change.

Republican opponent was veteran moderate senator from a western state, unpopular with conservative base (Arnie Vinick of California).

About this article

From West Wing to the real thing

This article appeared in the Guardian on Thursday February 21 2008 on p3 of the Top stories section. It was last updated at 09.56 on February 21 2008.

WANTED TO SHARE SOME  TRIVIA ON ELECTIONS 2008

i m a gr8 fan of West Wing a tv series on american politics........n these past few months i had just been amazed at how similar obama's politics were to the character santos played by jimmy smitts ...........today when i read this article it ........i found it incredible that real life became reel life n then the WW predictions ......came true........n obama is living it ................................................................................................................................
new york times also had an editorial on the subject n bbc a documentary     (i m still looking for links)..................

Edited by yogitz - 15 years ago