Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 7:09pm | IP Logged

I have so many, but here are my favs, and they are all from Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter!

"I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

"...in the light of Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
The one about Cedric always makes me cry.Cry

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Favorite line or quote? (Page 3)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 12:53pm | IP Logged

One of absolute fav lines comes from a book called "Its not about the bike" by Lancer Armstrong

"There are angels on this Earth and they come in subtle forms and I decided that LaTrice Haney was one of them................. She struck me as a woman utterly lacking in ordinary resentments, sure of her responsibilities and blessings and unwavering in her administering of care and if that isn't angelic behaviour, I didn't know what was." Smile

The book is an autobiography and the quote was about his chemotherapy nurse.

" Cancer could be an opportunity as well as a responsibility."Clap

Again from the same book.

Edited by shellytt - 15 February 2009 at 12:55pm

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged

My absolute favourite quote has to be from Wuthering Heights -- It's by a long shot the most passionate passage I've read. So far, I've yet to come across such heart-felt, passionate prose.

It goes something like this:

"May you not rest as long a I am living! You said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt there murderers. I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

Others from the same novel but slightly less impressionable:

"Because misery, and degradation, and death, and nothing God or satan could inflict would have parted us, you, of your own will, did it. I have not broken your heart--you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine. So much the worse for me, that I am strong. Do I want to live? What kind of living will it be when you--oh, God! Would you like to live with your soul in the grave?"

"I forgive what you have done to me, I love my murderer--but yours! How can I?"

Incidentally, all the statements above come from Bronte's anti-hero, Heathcliff.

The most insightful phrases I've read come from Emma by Austen. The following quote, though, is really amazing.

"Seldom, very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken; but where, as in this case, though the conduct is mistaken, the feelings are not, it may not be very material."

I really like how beautifully the phrases flow and how meaningful the words really are.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ProdigalStudent

Ahlaam5

IF-Rockerz

Ahlaam5

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged
There's loads of quotes i love but i can't remember them. I can only remember Dumbledore ones for some reason

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."

"In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."

"There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

Dumbles Rox

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShadowKisses

My absolute favourite quote has to be from Wuthering Heights -- It's by a long shot the most passionate passage I've read. So far, I've yet to come across such heart-felt, passionate prose.

It goes something like this:

"May you not rest as long a I am living! You said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt there murderers. I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

Others from the same novel but slightly less impressionable:

"Because misery, and degradation, and death, and nothing God or satan could inflict would have parted us, you, of your own will, did it. I have not broken your heart--you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine. So much the worse for me, that I am strong. Do I want to live? What kind of living will it be when you--oh, God! Would you like to live with your soul in the grave?"

"I forgive what you have done to me, I love my murderer--but yours! How can I?"

Incidentally, all the statements above come from Bronte's anti-hero, Heathcliff.

The most insightful phrases I've read come from Emma by Austen. The following quote, though, is really amazing.

"Seldom, very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken; but where, as in this case, though the conduct is mistaken, the feelings are not, it may not be very material."

I really like how beautifully the phrases flow and how meaningful the words really are.

I've tried to read Wuthering Heights serveral times and I can never seem to get past the third chapter or so, which is such a shame because I really WANT to read it and love it, because I know the story and I saw the movie which was heartbreaking and I loved it! 

You have now given be fresh motivation to make another attempt at the novel, especially with your first quotation from it. That was simply beautiful.

whatsername

Goldie

whatsername

Posted: 02 April 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged
" For you A thousand times over " - The Kite Runner

The best !!

whatsername

Goldie

whatsername

Posted: 02 April 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged
and and " You better pray like hell because God is never gonna forgive you" - BrickLane

ammygurl

IF-Dazzler

ammygurl

Posted: 06 May 2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged
" and so the lion fell in love with the lamb..."
twilight....edward cullen says that to bella.....umm...that is so far the best line i can rememberTongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top