Ramayan

List of Pativratas in our Puranas

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
I am starting this list of all the Pativratas that I learned of in Puranas. If anyone knows of anyone else who is not on the list, please add it on. Thanks!πŸ˜ƒ

1. Sita Devi
2. Draupadi
3. Ahalya
4. Tara (Brihaspati's wife)
5. Mandodari
6. Sulochana
7. Mata Anasuya
8. Radha Devi 
9. Rukmini
10. Savithri

These are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Do any of you know anymore?😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

imsachi thumbnail
Originally posted by: godisone

I am starting this list of all the Pativratas that I learned of in Puranas. If anyone knows of anyone else who is not on the list, please add it on. Thanks!πŸ˜ƒ

1. Sita Devi
2. Draupadi
3. Ahalya
5. Mandodari
6. Sulochana
7. Mata Anasuya
8. Radha Devi 
9. Rukmini
10. Savithri

These are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Do any of you know anymore?😊

Vashishtha's wife Arundhati is also considered as a great pativrata, infact even today at marriages the constellation of saptarishi and Arundhati is shown to newly weds as an inspiration.

Bali's wife tara is among pativratas not sure about Brihaspati's wife Tara since she eloped with chandra/moon who was Brihaspati's student. πŸ˜•
Raja Harishchandra's wife Tara is a pativrata

Radha -did she really marry krishna or anybody else?  Or did she even exist?? πŸ₯±

Rukmini,even though a devoted wife of Krishna and considered as an incarnation of goddess Lakshmi, is seldom given as an example  of Pativrata.

Daymayanti (Nala damayanti) is one of the pativrata.

Dev mata Aditi is also in the above list.

Rishi chyavan's wife Sukanya (mentioned in Mahabharat)

Rishi Agaastya's wife Lopamudra.

Kannagi is also a great pativrata .

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: imsachi

Vashishtha's wife Arundhati is also considered as a great pativrata, infact even today at marriages the constellation of saptarishi and Arundhati is shown to newly weds as an inspiration. I forgot about Devi Arundhati. Thanks!πŸ˜ƒ

Bali's wife tara is among pativratas not sure about Brihaspati's wife Tara since she eloped with chandra/moon who was Brihaspati's student. πŸ˜• Yes, but in the Devi Bhagavatham, it tells the full story of Tara, and how she was blessed by Goddess Parvathi to become a Patrivrata. I don't know the full details, so I probably should look it up soon, but she is named as one of the Panch Maha Kanyas.
Raja Harishchandra's wife Tara is a pativrata

Radha -did she really marry krishna or anybody else?  Or did she even exist?? πŸ₯± There are so many different accounts of Radha Devi, but first and foremost, yes, she did exist. She was a few years older than Shri Krishna, and I heard that she was even related to him very distantly as an aunt. I don't know whether she married or not, but her heart was always true to Shri Krishna, her prabhu, her parameshwar, so she was a pativrata.

Rukmini,even though a devoted wife of Krishna and considered as an incarnation of goddess Lakshmi, is seldom given as an example  of Pativrata. She was the most devoted of all his wives, so she was a pativrata.

Daymayanti (Nala damayanti) is one of the pativrata.

Dev mata Aditi is also in the above list.

Rishi chyavan's wife Sukanya (mentioned in Mahabharat) 

Rishi Agaastya's wife Lopamudra.

Kannagi is also a great pativrata . Thanks for adding to my list!πŸ˜ƒ Here's the now more updated version.

1. Sita Devi
2. Draupadi
3. Ahalya
5. Mandodari
6. Sulochana
7. Mata Anasuya
8. Radha Devi 
9. Rukmini
10. Savithri
11. Arundhathi Devi
12. Tara (Vali's wife)
13. Tara (Raja Harishchandra's wife)
14. Dev Mata Aditi
15. Damayanthi
16. Sukanya
17. Lopamudra
18. Kannagi
19. Kunti Devi (Pandu's wife)

Guys, my goal is to reach a number of 100 pativrats, so please, add to the list if you can think of anyone!πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Do not forget Urmila (Laxman's wife).
secretz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Well godisone what you said about Radha is totally true .Many people do not know this .So thanks for telling.😊
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: godisone

1. Sita Devi
2. Draupadi
3. Ahalya
5. Mandodari
6. Sulochana
7. Mata Anasuya
8. Radha Devi 
9. Rukmini
10. Savithri
11. Arundhathi Devi
12. Tara (Vali's wife)
13. Tara (Raja Harishchandra's wife)
14. Dev Mata Aditi
15. Damayanthi
16. Sukanya
17. Lopamudra
18. Kannagi
19. Kunti Devi (Pandu's wife)

Guys, my goal is to reach a number of 100 pativrats, so please, add to the list if you can think of anyone!πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

There aren't that many pativratas - from what I recall reading (unfortunately, I can't find the source at the moment), there  were only 11 of them, so it's not worth trying to bloat that number to 100.  'Pativrata' was a definition applied to women who worshipped their husbands and husbands alone, and didn't recognize any other gods.  Although there were a lot of women in ancient times who were very devoted to their husbands, this 'pativrata' status was given to a very few.  They included Sita, Savitri, Anushuya, Rohini (Chandrama's wife), Sulochana, Tara (Brihaspati's wife) and a few other less well known names.

Although Mandodari was loyal to Ravan, she also recognized the divine nature of Rama - a pativrata wasn't supposed to recognize anybody's divinity other than her own husband (as was the case with Sulochana).  Arundhati-devi (she is said to have turned her back to Vaishishta after having  sons - this was mentioned in a Mahabharat story during the destruction of Khandavprasta) was not in the list.  Neither was Ahalya -  I  think that her failure to recognize Indra as not her husband would have disqualified her - justified or not.  I also have never heard of Tara - Harishchandra's wife - being one.  Nether have I never heard of Sukanya or Kannagi in the first place.

I don't recall whether Lopamudra - Agastya's wife, was pativrata or not, but she may  not have been, since one of the things she asked for after their marriage was  wealth (albeit for  him), which took him  to several rulers, and  included his encounter with Ilvala and Vatapi.   As for Aditi, I don't recall her being in any list, and if she'd be there, so would her  sister Diti?

As for the Mahabharat/dwapar yuga, Draupadi did regard Krishna as her god - nothing wrong with that, but that's why she isn't included in the pativrata definition: nothing otherwise  'wrong' with her.  She was, however, included in the panch-kanya.  Also, Kunti, who had sons from 4 devas, wasn't in the pativrata list - in fact, despite the  fact that she had 4 great sons (I'm not  including Nakul and Sahadev here), her character itself is with blemish, as she could have saved the family from anhilation by telling her sons before time that Karna was their brother.  Radha was actually married to someone else, even though Krishna seranaded her - she's as far from pativrata  as one can imagine.  I also don't think any of Krishna's wives were pativrata, and Rukmini was not even his favorite - Satyabhama was.  In fact, if Krishna had any pativrata wives, he'd have done what Rama did, and stayed monogamous with her alone.  Damayanti may have been in the list - I don't remember.

From the  Ramayan, only Sita & Sulochana are on that list - virtuous as Kaushalya, Sumitra and Urmila were, none of them were on it.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: Chandraketu

There aren't that many pativratas - from what I recall reading (unfortunately, I can't find the source at the moment), there  were only 11 of them, so it's not worth trying to bloat that number to 100.  'Pativrata' was a definition applied to women who worshipped their husbands and husbands alone, and didn't recognize any other gods.  Although there were a lot of women in ancient times who were very devoted to their husbands, this 'pativrata' status was given to a very few.  They included Sita, Savitri, Anushuya, Rohini (Chandrama's wife), Sulochana, Tara (Brihaspati's wife) and a few other less well known names.

Although Mandodari was loyal to Ravan, she also recognized the divine nature of Rama - a pativrata wasn't supposed to recognize anybody's divinity other than her own husband (as was the case with Sulochana). Mandodari is definitely on the Pativrata list, because the Gods recognized her as a Pativrata, and to worship God is not going against a woman's duty. She recognized Rama's divinity because she was a Pativrata, or else, she would not have been able to. Arundhati-devi (she is said to have turned her back to Vaishishta after having  sons - this was mentioned in a Mahabharat story during the destruction of Khandavprasta) was not in the list.  Neither was Ahalya -  I  think that her failure to recognize Indra as not her husband would have disqualified her - justified or not. Muni Gautama told Ahalya that she would be purified by the touch of Rama's feet, so that's why she was a Pativrata. Before her curse, she had served her husband with utmost devotion, and after her curse, she was purified by the touch of Shri Ram's feet, so her chastity returned. She is definitely on thel list.  I also have never heard of Tara - Harishchandra's wife - being one.  Nether have I never heard of Sukanya or Kannagi in the first place. Like you said, some of the Pativratas were not well known.

I don't recall whether Lopamudra - Agastya's wife, was pativrata or not, but she may  not have been, since one of the things she asked for after their marriage was  wealth (albeit for  him), which took him  to several rulers, and  included his encounter with Ilvala and Vatapi.   As for Aditi, I don't recall her being in any list, and if she'd be there, so would her  sister Diti? Many of the Pativratas are mentioned in lots of puranas other than Ramayana and Mahabharata. There's Devi Bhagavatham, Bhagavatham, etc.

As for the Mahabharat/dwapar yuga, Draupadi did regard Krishna as her god - nothing wrong with that, but that's why she isn't included in the pativrata definition: nothing otherwise  'wrong' with her.  She was, however, included in the panch-kanya.  Also, Kunti, who had sons from 4 devas, wasn't in the pativrata list - in fact, despite the  fact that she had 4 great sons (I'm not  including Nakul and Sahadev here), her character itself is with blemish, as she could have saved the family from anhilation by telling her sons before time that Karna was their brother.  Radha was actually married to someone else, even though Krishna seranaded her - she's as far from pativrata  as one can imagine.  I also don't think any of Krishna's wives were pativrata, and Rukmini was not even his favorite - Satyabhama was.  In fact, if Krishna had any pativrata wives, he'd have done what Rama did, and stayed monogamous with her alone.  Damayanti may have been in the list - I don't remember. Again, praying to God does not make someone unpure. Some people say Draupadi was a Panch-Kanya, and somewhere, I read that she was even included in the Panch-Sati. She's one of the most virtuous and chaste women in our pouranic history. Draupadi's regarded as equal to Sitaji in her chastity. And Kunti devi is included in the Panch-Kanya. I'll give you all the sources later. Radha Devi also was a Pativrata. I don't have time to write in such detail right now, as I have to teach a class in a few minutes, so I will give longer explanations later. I don't know about any of Shri Krishna's wives for sure, but in Sri Krishna Tulabharam episode, Rukmini proved herself to be a Pativrata. And Shri Krishna had no favorites, as he was the omniscent Supreme Lord and all wives were incarnations of Lakshmi Devi.

From the  Ramayan, only Sita & Sulochana are on that list - virtuous as Kaushalya, Sumitra and Urmila were, none of them were on it. Mandodari also

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Just a clarification - saying that someone was not 'pativrata' doesn't imply that she was impure, or any of that: like I said previously, it was a restricted definition whereby only a woman who recognized no god other than her husband was granted that status.
see* thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I heard one more  its jalandhar's wife brinda.
dhirajdhuria thumbnail
hey thanx for d infoπŸ˜› u guys r really gr8