Debate Mansion

Hate Crime in India OKAY?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

MrsAckles

Goldie

MrsAckles

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 3:17am | IP Logged
I was watching NDTV this afternoon and they talked about how Biharian laborers and other low income ethnic groups are being attacked and killed etc in Mumbai???

WTF???They didn't even treat it like it was a big news. Just another Mumbai day, another poor guy beaten to death by extremists with a chance of afternoon showers.. Now if a cricketer got slapped by another then yeah that's something worth  covering UGH

I think its a HUGE deal, I don't know why international media aren't covering this? It is almost a mini genocide.

My heart tied in a knot thinking that these poor people. They can't even live in their own country. Also, one time they interviewed some normal people and they were like emphathizing with the goons and racist thugs, gosh don't people have humanity anymore? They were like go back to where you are from? Umm how about all the non Mumbaians taking their business/money/resources/expertise/movie industry and shifting them elsewhere..

How about their own family who immigrated to western countries? What will they think if their relatives were beaten black and blue and told to leave their adopted homeland..  i wish i had some super power so i could teach them some lessons (definitely NOT Gandhi style heck NO)

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Hate Crime in India OKAY?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged
Here's another excellent one from the same paper!

INDIASPORA
A comedy of terrors
26 Oct 2008, 0046 hrs IST, Chidanand Rajghatta
 Print            Comment Text:
Raj Thackeray probably hasn't heard or maybe just doesn't care that the US is now certifiably in a recession. As we are discovering quickly, this is

not an exclusively American problem. The decoupling theory - that what happens in the US does not affect India - has been effectively busted. We can feel the heat of the American slowdown in the seat of our pants. Pink slips in Pune will follow lay-offs in Los Angeles as surely as night follows day.

Eventually, the man who seems to wear a sweater even in summer might find that Maharashtra's cotton farmers are feeling the heat, too, because folks from Manhattan and Monterrey aren't buying enough T-shirts. They aren't buying much of anything because many of them are losing their jobs to immigrants, including to white collar folks from distant Mumbai and Pune. All this is probably very difficult to follow for the mob, but hey, it's called a circle.

There are two ways people here handle the misfortune of job loss and displacement. The smart ones re-train, re-locate, and recalibrate their lives, turning adversity into advantage. The merely smart-assy ones vent - with words. Either way, so far they haven't gone around beating up foreigners/immigrants/outsiders and burning buses and trains. Such behaviour is left to retards.

Nearly a decade after the flames of outsourcing began licking at the edges of American economy, venting against the trend is now a small-scale industry. A proliferation of bumper stickers, coffee mugs, sweat shirts, and lapel buttons fume about job loss in the US. From the plaintive 'Please Help Stop Outsourcing' to the inviting 'Kiss Me, I'm Outsourced,' American unemployment discourse is a babble of whiny or angry or funny anti-outsourcing slogans.

'I trained the newly hired and i became the newly fired,' reads one T-shirt slogan with resignation, while another reminisces, 'I'm so old i remember when America made things.' Coffee mugs and bumper stickers urge outsourcing of the White House, Congress, and Bush, among other pet hates. Some slogans could serve to promote employment tourism to India. 'My Job Went to India. Unfortunately i am Still Here,' reads one. Another says: 'India - The Exotic Land of Your Outsourced Jobs.'

People of Indian origin are also getting into the act. 'Indian-American - The Best of Both Worlds' reads one recent poster. A community which once wailed about getting mugged, now boldly wears a T-shirt that reads: 'INDIAN (Dots, not Feathers).' Another one urges, 'Kiss Me, I'm A Patel.' And as if in response to a recent case of discrimination where Indians were denied rental accommodation on account of their spice-laden cooking, there's a new poster which reads, 'If You Can't Stand the Curry, Get Out of my Kitchen.'

The coolest reaction has come in response to the Macaca episode, where an Indian-American activist was called an ape. One outlet is now cranking out merchandise capitalising on the incident. 'Virginia is for Macacas,' reads one T-shirt, spoofing the state's slogan, 'Virginia is for Lovers.' Another shows a monkey with the caption, 'Virginian Macaca against Allen' (the Senator who made the inflammatory remark). There's a poster with a map of India under the slogan, 'I'm from Macaca.' My favourite: A poster showing a chimp hanging from a tree above a caption that reads, 'Swing Vote.' Clever.

Such sang-froid should come easily to India, a country which is even more plural than the US and whose signature is peace and tolerance. But somehow violence and bloodletting - burning buses and trains, and attacking "outsiders" - has become our hallmark. Staying cool is too much effort for our frenzied resident macacas - our maakads, bandars, and kothees. It's easier to light a fire and watch the world burn. Never mind if it eventually consumes them.

Edited by SholaJoBhadkey - 29 October 2008 at 8:40am

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged

India is a deeply divided country based upon religion, caste , region amongst other things, literally and figuratively. The terminology of what is allowable actions and not allowable actions is based upon which side of the fence you are on.

If a person of one religion threatens to shoot up a town/bus and actually does it, he is considered a terrorist. But if the person happens to be of another religion he is not termed as terrorist, he is called a misguided youth and people try to find reasons to justify it. In the western world both the acts would be termed as Terrorism, but in India they are not.

If people of one caste get together, do sloganeering against people of another caste, it is considered vote bank politics, but done the reverse it is considered hate crime by some. In the western world it is considered discrimination and hate speech.

If someone is called a monkey in Virginia, it is considered hate speech. But if some Indian calls someone of another race, it is considered ok.

If people in one region are beaten up discriminated against based upon their region, that is hate crime. But same done in another region it is normal.

Honestly throughout my stay in India I have lost count of number of times people being getting beaten up for things that other people wont just because they happened to be of some religion/region or caste.

Hate crime is normal in India, not Okay, but the routine nature takes away the normal cringe you get out of a Hate crime

Again I am not justifying, but it is like a Bomb going off and killing people, it is a big deal if it happens once in a while vs it happens every 3-6 months and then you get used to it as a fact of life

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 30 October 2008 at 7:41am | IP Logged

jagdu

IF-Dazzler

jagdu

Posted: 30 October 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged
The seeds have been sown since the days of Assam for ethnic cleansing by the states.
The voices of moderation had never a better time or chance to speak up before the menace begins all over the country and divides it.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=941252&TPN=23

Post Reply New Post

Go to top