Mandodari story

_rajnish_ thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

MANDODARI : THE WIFE OF RAVAN

The king of the giants, king Maya was married to an elf Hema. A beautiful daughter was born to them. But the elf neither had any affection for Maya nor for the newborn baby. So when the gods called her, she deserted the baby and went to heaven. In the absence of his wife, Maya showered all his love and affection on the baby. He named her Mandodari and always kept her with him.

Once, Maya was wandering on the earth along with his daughter. By that time Mandodari had attained the age of 15 years and was having lot of radiance and beauty. They were in the dense forests when Ravan, the demon king of Lanka happened to meet Maya. The king of the giants and the demon king introduced themselves to each other. Introducing his great lineage, Ravan begged Maya for his daughter. Maya gladly accepted the proposal and on an auspicious moment married Mandodari to Ravan and gave him a lot of divine and deadly weapons as gifts. Mandodari, the daughter of Maya came to be known as the better half of Ravan.

Though Ravan had married many women who hailed from the demigods, god and Naga communities, but Mandodari always remained his favorite among them and the most beloved to Ravan. Mandodari always wished well for Ravan and tried to maintain him on the pious path. She always protested though humbly of his misdeeds. The chastity of Mandodari already intimated her that all-pervasive almighty, Lord Rama had taken birth in Ayodhya. When Ravan abducted Sita craftily, Mandodari quietly and humbly tried to convince Ravan: "O my lord, Shri Rama is not an ordinary person. He is none other than the almighty, omnipotent, Satchidananda, Supreme Being Himself. Do not disrespect Him. Having enmity with Him might be disastrous. Vaidehi Sita is none other than Jagadjanini (mother of all beings), Yogamaya herself. This enmity is not good for you. Please return Sitaji to Shri Rama. We should then hand over the kingdom of Lanka to Meghanaad and go to the forests to concentrate our minds in Kausalendra (the lord of Kaushala- Lord Rama). He is the ocean of pity, He will definitely show grace on us". ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thus Mandodari prayed to Ravana not once but many uncountable times. All of her nights used to pass like that. But Ravana did never show disregard for her words๐Ÿ˜ก nor did he ever scold her๐Ÿ˜Š. He simply used to laugh away at her talks, such a serious matter that led to his destruction at last๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคข. The behaviour of Ravana towards Mandodari was remarkable because when his real brother Vibhishan tried to convince him to return Sita and make friends with Rama, he had kicked Vibhishan out of the court. On another occasion, Ravana badly reprimanded his maternal grandfather Malyavana for a similar matter. But he never scolded Mandodari for he knew for certain that his wife had always wished well for him in her heart.๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

But destiny had something else to offer to Mandodari. Ravana was killed by Rama in a fierce battle. Mandodari was mourning on the dead body of Ravana when Shri Rama saw her with grace. Lord Rama bestowed the full grace on the daughter of Maya and instantly the mantle of illusion that was surrounding her disappeared. Nothing then remained like mourning or attachment.๐Ÿ˜ญ

Edited by rajnish_here - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks Rajnish Bhai for this story! Appreciate your hard work! I've always felt sorry for poor Mandodari, haven't you? She was always a patient loving wife even when Ravan kept on marrying more women.
sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
thanks for the story rajnish !!!๐Ÿ˜Š
mandodri was a doting wife but ravan most of the time mocked at her ๐Ÿ˜ญ,she was a great lady ๐Ÿ˜›
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: rajnish_here

We should then hand over the kingdom of Lanka to Meghanaad and go to the forests to concentrate our minds in Kausalendra (the lord of Kaushala- Lord Rama).

This is the first time that I'm reading this - that Mandodari wanting Indrajit to assume the throne, and retire to the forest with Ravan.  Of course, Ravan being too attached to the bonds of power, refused to listen.  The thing that I loathe the most about  Ravan, aside from his forceful imprisonment of Sita, was his willingness to sacrifice brothers and sons for the sake of keeping Sita.  Not only did  he lose Indrajit and his other sons that way, but I recall reading once that even Indrajit & Sulochna's son was killed following his father's death, and so was Vibhishan's son, who, despite his father's humiliation, fought and died  on the side of Ravan.  (Can anyone  confirm this, since I don't remember the source - it was many years ago?)

This brings up an interesting question on what sort of a ruler Indrajit would have been, had Ravan followed this request of Mandodari and handed the throne to him.  After all, while I have read of Ravan bullying rulers all over the world, Indrajit was little more than a devoted son - his defeat of Indra is the only act of his that appears, and it's not for nothing that he'd be one of the few blessed with a pativrata stri like Sulochna, who is right there with Sita, Savitri, Rohini, Anushuya, and others (incidentally, I didn't notice Mandodari, Tara, Draupadi in that list).  If I'm not mistaken, like Rama and unlike Ravan, Indrajit had only that one wife and no other, and didn't lust after other women.  He did have one strong parallel with Lakshman - just as Lakshman loved Urmila but was completely devoted to Rama, Indrajit loved Sulochna but was completely devoted to Ravan.  In that way, I consider it tragic, even if necessary, that Sulochna was widowed.

Still, I don't believe that Indrajit would have been any less virtuous than Vibhishan had Ravan retired, other than conquering the world, which was the prerogative of any virtuous ruler as well: however, since he tied his loyalties to Ravan, he ended up as one of the obstacles between Rama's reunion with Sita, and therefore, unfortunately, had to be removed.  Otherwise he was a great hero  of Lanka who might have made a great ruler.
Edited by Chandraketu - 15 years ago
_rajnish_ thumbnail
you are right chandraketu Indrajeet was one of his kind. he was more powerful than ravan. the most powerful son of ravan. he was a true pitrabhakt. he was declared yuvraj and he deserves this position. he was known to brahmashra. his power and might is incomparable and he was known of all maya vidhya. Tamsik maya is not known to any one. on his last battle when he recognized that Lakhsman was not an ordinary person but an avtar he went to serve his last duty towards his father. he advised his father to protect his race he must return sita and went to ram sharan. ravan to get astonished because for the first time his son is speaking like this.he even blamed him that he got terrified and so leave the battlefield in the middle of war. meghnath then said "I am not terrified nor left the battle but come here only to serve my duty towards rakshasas race and my father as i know this is my end". he then met his mother who suggested him to go to ram sharan himself as his feet is his way of salvation. then he replied "My duty towards my father don't allow me to  do this. Its duty of a son to sacrifice every thing for the sake of his father even if it is way of salvation(moksh). then he went to battleground and fought bravely and died. Even Sri Ram praised him so much that he cover his dead body by his own cloth. such a great was meghnath.
Edited by rajnish_here - 15 years ago
Savi13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

thanks Rajnish for the infos...

Hey is this the next dotw... or just  the information you want to share....

any of them she has a sad story since her child hood  very sad...

is she among the five panch Kanya.....?

_rajnish_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: sam1903

thanks Rajnish for the infos...

Hey is this the next dotw... or just  the information you want to share....

any of them she has a sad story since her child hood  very sad...

is she among the five panch Kanya.....?

u r welcome samiksha di
no this is not next DOTW just info
yes mandodari is among panch kanya

Ahalya Draupadi Kunti Tara Mandodari tatha
Panca kanyd smarennityam mahdpataka nasanam

chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

oh thats a amazing story

part of it i knew rest i didnt know

i dont understand though sagars r showing mandodri very weak woman though she speaks her mind and keeps warning ravan but her portrayal still shows weak woman i dont know why

and my fav indrajeet i know he was powerful and yes its co incidence that lakshman was with one woman but devoted to ram and same for indrajeet devoted to his father

i think in one of the earlier episodes when indrajeet was shown  mandodri asks him to tell his father to let sita go

he said sita is  ravan's pride and he cant let it fall smthing like that i cant remember  exact dialogue but it did show indrajeet may not  have been in favour of  war but coz he was devoted to his father he accepted all that  came his way

thanks for story
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: rajnish_here

you are right chandraketu Indrajeet was one of his kind. he was more powerful than ravan. the most powerful son of ravan. he was a true pitrabhakt. he was declared yuvraj and he deserves this position. he was known to brahmashra. his power and might is incomparable and he was known of all maya vidhya. Tamsik maya is not known to any one. on his last battle when he recognized that Lakhsman was not an ordinary person but an avtar he went to serve his last duty towards his father. he advised his father to protect his race he must return sita and went to ram sharan. ravan to get astonished because for the first time his son is speaking like this.he even blamed him that he got terrified and so leave the battlefield in the middle of war. meghnath then said "I am not terrified nor left the battle but come here only to serve my duty towards rakshasas race and my father as i know this is my end". he then met his mother who suggested him to go to ram sharan himself as his feet is his way of salvation. then he replied "My duty towards my father don't allow me to  do this. Its duty of a son to sacrifice every thing for the sake of his father even if it is way of salvation(moksh). then he went to battleground and fought bravely and died. Even Sri Ram praised him so much that he cover his dead body by his own cloth. such a great was meghnath.

Guys, here is the conversation on youtube that Rajnish Bhai was talking about.

_rajnish_ thumbnail
๐Ÿ˜ƒthanks janaki 4 the link