Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by stranger@mirror

Firstly I don't believe sorting creates enmity b/w students ... Enmity is caused because the students gives too much importance to their houses and seperates themselves by thinking that someone from the different house is their enemy ...
ESP Gryffindor and Slytherin does that. I havent seen Ravenclaw and Hufflefuff behaving that way, or maybe they weren't shown.

But I guess the teachers and everyone should tell the students that they all are human beings first and then comes there house. So, the children won't be so much bugges with their house and stop helping others ...

BTW i have a question about this sorting thing: If the hat chooses the wizard according to their personality, then one house may have a large number of students while the other house mightn have less, naa???? Because see, there might be more of 'cunning' people than 'brave' one, then?? Will one house have more students while the other have few??? Did this happen during Harry's time?

I don't think the books mention exactly how many students each house has, but it does mention that the Great Hall always holds hundreds of students, so there has to be unequal amounts of students in each house. We know for sure that Harry's year in Gryffindor has five boys (Harry, Ron, Neville, Dean, and Seamus) and three girls (Hermione, Parvathi, and Lavender), but there could be more Slytherins, or Ravenclaws, or Hufflepuffs, right? But come to think about it, Hermione's dormitory could have more girls, but I don't think so, or they would have been mentioned at least a little, right?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Sorting in Hogwarts (Page 2)" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Absolem

Absolem

Posted: 15 October 2008 at 6:45pm | IP Logged

Firstly I don't believe sorting creates enmity b/w students ... Enmity is caused because the students gives too much importance to their houses and seperates themselves by thinking that someone from the different house is their enemy ...
ESP Gryffindor and Slytherin does that. I havent seen Ravenclaw and Hufflefuff behaving that way, or maybe they weren't shown.

But I guess the teachers and everyone should tell the students that they all are human beings first and then comes there house. So, the children won't be so much bugges with their house and stop helping others ...

BTW i have a question about this sorting thing: If the hat chooses the wizard according to their personality, then one house may have a large number of students while the other house mightn have less, naa???? Because see, there might be more of 'cunning' people than 'brave' one, then?? Will one house have more students while the other have few??? Did this happen during Harry's time?

enough said.Smile and about your question, i think that remains a mystery. i guess we have to wait and find out till the Encyclopedia comes out.

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

AllonsyGeronimo

IF-Dazzler

AllonsyGeronimo

Posted: 19 October 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged
As Dumbledore admits in The Deathly Hallows that maybe they do sort them too early. And I agree with that, sorting children at the age of 11 is too premature because people change. Taking Wormtail for instance, he must have been sorted in Gryffindor(or any of the others but Slytherin) for James & co to have been good friends with him and look at his actions, I can't see bravery, loyalty or wisdom in them. I think it just creates conflicts and they could do with out it. Infact I thought they would have done away with it.
PS: Great topic.

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 6:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sandali_

As Dumbledore admits in The Deathly Hallows that maybe they do sort them too early. And I agree with that, sorting children at the age of 11 is too premature because people change. Taking Wormtail for instance, he must have been sorted in Gryffindor(or any of the others but Slytherin) for James & co to have been good friends with him and look at his actions, I can't see bravery, loyalty or wisdom in them. I think it just creates conflicts and they could do with out it. Infact I thought they would have done away with it.
PS: Great topic.

I agree. Even if they didnt stop the sorting completely, they should AT LEAST have postponed it to a time when students could actually understand/ reason out what they want to choose.(Since the sorting hat also takes choice into consideration). But even after nineteen years, it seems like they are still sorting kids at the age of 11.

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged

Ya agree with this..but do you think it would be better if they just postponed the sorting? Then at least they can have firm opinions in thier mind about where they want to be.
Very well said about the fact that they are human beings first and then comes the house....but in the book most of the time everybody tries to explain this...ironically even the sorting hat said that hogwarts unity would be necessary..but yet there is the inherent dislike of each other's houses between slytherin and gryfinndor.Also, there is this competition of which house will have more points. They take this aspect to a bitter level also.
Anyway, true that ravenclaw and hufflepuff dont have such enmity....maybe the others have something to learn from them..lol.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 24 October 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
You know, I have a theory as to why Gryffindor and Slytherin are such enemies, but Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff don't. As a matther of fact, there is no bitter rivalry between any of the houses except Gryffindor and Slytherin.
My theory consists of the Peverell Brothers in the story of the Deathly Hallows. JK Rowling wrote that Salazar Slytherin was a descendent of one of the Peverell Brothers (the one who got the resurrection stone), and Ignotus Peverell (the third brother who got the invisibility cloak) was an ancestor of the Potters. I know JK Rowling never mentioned this in any of the books, but what if Godric Gryffindor was a descendent of Ignotus Peverell? It would explain Harry pulling Gryffindor's Sword out of the sorting hat in the CoS.
It seemed in the story of the Deathly Hallows that the Peverall Brothers envied each other. What if the "gifts from death" separated them further, and since the second Peverell Brother (who got the resurrection stone and who was an ancestor of Salazar Slytherin) died because of his gift, and the third brother lived a long life with his gift and welcomed death as a friend in the end, Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor hated each other?
I know...I know, it is a far fetched theory, but I think there's more to Gryffindor/Slytherin hatred beyond that of house points and house loyalty. Or else, all the houses would hate each other, wouldn't they?

What do you guys think of this?

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 28 October 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged
^^^ That idea is very interesting...because even I think that there's more Gryfinndor/Slytherin rivalry than it seems. And your explanation seems very plausible. I guess now we'll know about such backstories from the enclyclopedia..hope JKR writes it..!!Unhappy

Post Reply New Post

Go to top