There’s more to me than just Kaajal

Shikhoo thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
There's more to me than just Kaajal
Bhairavi Raichuria

The most famous tomboy of the small screen will now be seen very lady-like and demure. Bhairavi Raichuria, who immortalised the character of tomboy Kaajal in Hum Paanch, will be seen in a never before avatar. Gone are the shirt, jeans and cap; they've made way for a traditional Rajasthani attire. Bhairavi will soon be playing a Rajasthani woman in Sphere Origins' Balika VadhuKacchi Umar ke Pakke Rishte on Colors.

Tellychakkar caught up with the actress for a brief chat. Excerpts:

Can you talk on your character in Balika Vadhu?

As you're aware it's a tale on child marriage. I play Bhagwati, mother to the eight year old bride Anandi. Bhagwati isn't a bad mother; she herself was married at the age of 6. This is the first time that I'm playing a complete illiterate and a conservative woman from the remote areas of Rajasthan.

What was your first reaction when you were offered this role?

As a serial, I found it very interesting. Obviously, child marriage is a sin but it's still a reality in the rural areas. However, that doesn't mean our show is justifying child marriage. Eventually, we'll be spreading the message against child marriage.

Did you draw inspiration from child marriages in Rajasthan?

Well, we never got to see a child marriage but I have learned a lot by observing the females in rural Rajasthan. I spoke in the typical rural Marwari accent. Besides, I had to put on a veil at most times. In fact, it became habitual and the moment my co-actors saw me they joked that Bhairavi will now cover her face.

As an urbanite, wasn't it tough to shoot in a remote area?

Initially, it was a bit difficult as you're living in alien conditions. There was no mode of entertainment. However, with time we learned to deal it. Nevertheless, it was great fun to interact with the locals.

People still remember you as the rowdy Kaajal of Hum Paanch. Will Balika.. help you gain a new identity?

I've been asked this question time and again but I think there's more to me than just Kaajal. At the same time it's pleasing that people still remember you now. Kaajal was such a strong character. But I've also played other strong roles in Astitva, Hasratein. I don't how many people remember that.

With so many reality shows around, why don't we Bhairavi in one?

Well, no one has invited me as yet. I'm very keen on a doing an adventure show ala Fear Factor

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shikhoo thumbnail
pls read and injoy it.................😍
poo_supi thumbnail
Thanks for sharing..

after hum paanch this is her next best serial.....
Shikhoo thumbnail
ya i like hum paach ............too............it's to funny..........👍🏼🤣🤣
IndraDaga thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks alot.....  i too liked her in show hum paanch