Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

ashley1

ashley1

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 3:28pm | IP Logged
I was thinking how our movies & sometimes Indian Soaps are shot in US & UK. Also, nowadays, we see actors/actoresses of non-Indian origin too. Example: Kisna. But would you marry a Gora or a Gori if you are in love with them? 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Would you marry a Gora?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ketaki_ry

IF-Rockerz

ketaki_ry

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 3:37pm | IP Logged
I .... If I love them..... may be.

But the thing is - knowing me, I wouldn't fall in love with one. Confused I know, I am a very boring person.   Stern Smile

aishah

Goldie

aishah

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 3:39pm | IP Logged
hmmmmm interesting question-i knw a couple of ppl who have married goras-its kinda weird seeing them 2gtha-there always exists that difficulty in trying to adopt the others culture..

jasmin

IF-Rockerz

jasmin

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 3:46pm | IP Logged
marrying anyone out of culture or community has it's own challenges, to date i have not seen anyone in a successful relationship, but what if you can't find anyone in your own community? i think you end up with whomever you are going to be with, personally i'd want my kid to marry someone indian, but i don't think that there's anything wrong with marrying someone from a different community if you feel as though you are well matched...religion could be a problem though...i think in the past, women were expected to convert their entire thought process to their husband's and adapt to their belief system and lifestyle, which is obviously not the case any longer. if you both can adjust and still be happy and ork towards a life together, then all the power to you. lot's of same cast/religion/region, etc., marriages end in divorce, so what guarantee is there anymore?

the u.s. has more interracial relationships and marriages in general than other caountries, a lot of it has to to do with the fact that many desi's have a hard time finding or adjusting to the same community from another country...i'm a canadian born and raised indian, my husband is american and from a small southern town...we've both had to make a lot of adjustments and sometimes i feel as though i married a "gora", but he really craves the indian atmosphere. i've also seen people who were completely "whitewashed" and have no interest in marrying someone who is from the same community and can't relate to the atmosphere/lifestyle, so what are they supposed to do?

ashley1

ashley1

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 3:53pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by jasmin

marrying anyone out of culture or community has it's own challenges, to date i have not seen anyone in a successful relationship, but what if you can't find anyone in your own community? i think you end up with whomever you are going to be with, personally i'd want my kid to marry someone indian, but i don't think that there's anything wrong with marrying someone from a different community if you feel as though you are well matched...religion could be a problem though...i think in the past, women were expected to convert their entire thought process to their husband's and adapt to their belief system and lifestyle, which is obviously not the case any longer. if you both can adjust and still be happy and ork towards a life together, then all the power to you. lot's of same cast/religion/region, etc., marriages end in divorce, so what guarantee is there anymore?

the u.s. has more interracial relationships and marriages in general than other caountries, a lot of it has to to do with the fact that many desi's have a hard time finding or adjusting to the same community from another country...i'm a canadian born and raised indian, my husband is american and from a small southern town...we've both had to make a lot of adjustments and sometimes i feel as though i married a "gora", but he really craves the indian atmosphere. i've also seen people who were completely "whitewashed" and have no interest in marrying someone who is from the same community and can't relate to the atmosphere/lifestyle, so what are they supposed to do?

Jasmin, sometimes I feel that some Goras are very nice upfront. But if you look at the personal relationship, there's a question of committment. I had a crush on a gora in high school & he had a cruch on me. His name was Cavin...a very cute, innocent, boy, who was 1.5 years younger than me. Dating was prohibited by my family. Beleive it or not, its a 7 year old story & I still cannot forget him.Cry   

jasmin

IF-Rockerz

jasmin

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 4:06pm | IP Logged
probably because you keep thinking about "what could have been"...trust me, if it were meant to work out, it would have, maybe you were saved from a lot of heartache...

relationships are the same, just because you find a nice dxesi guy doesn't mean he's gonna marry you...he may find a girl through his parents, sad to say, but i know quite a few people who were very serious (or one of them thought they were), and they got dumped and were depressed and broken hearted, only to swear off brown guys all together.

the issue with goras is that the institution of marriage has been deconstructed...a lot of people still get married, they are just arguably less "traditional" or "committed" in their lives. i personally would rather marry a gora from europe or a european community rather than a "caker" or desi from canada or america who wasn't the child of first generation immigrants...i think we'd have more in common, culturally.

At least they would still have a sense of identity.

MonicA#1Actress

Goldie

MonicA#1Actress

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 4:10pm | IP Logged
If we are in love and if he lets me be Hindu! I dated Gora guys and they can be fun! Some of them are also very much into Indian culture! They enjoy going to go see Indian movies and eating Indian food! And this one Gora guy David, he was soo cutee, liked me better in Indian attire and actually said if we got married we could do an indian marriageTongue!!  Even my mom said if later in my life a white guy is better husband material than an Indian one, or if I really love a white guy and if he respects me back, she will allow the marriage as long as I don't forget my culture! I am okie with that!!Big smile

ashley1

ashley1

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged

LOL

Originally posted by MonicA#1Actress

If we are in love and if he lets me be Hindu! I dated Gora guys and they can be fun! Some of them are also very much into Indian culture! They enjoy going to go see Indian movies and eating Indian food! And this one Gora guy David, he was soo cutee, liked me better in Indian attire and actually said if we got married we could do an indian marriageTongue!!  Even my mom said if later in my life a white guy is better husband material than an Indian one, or if I really love a white guy and if he respects me back, she will allow the marriage as long as I don't forget my culture! I am okie with that!!Big smile

Wao!!!! you are a lucky one. LOL

My parents want a Hindu, Punjabi for me. But I have a feeling that they are not too strict.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top