Page 2 Page 3

blyton

IF-Rockerz

blyton

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
VHP, SGPC seek Bhajji's apology for Ravana act
Ramesh Vinayak
Chandigarh,  October 8, 2008

Indian spin-master Harbhajan Singh finds himself on a sticky wicket as his dance performance as Ravana on a television realty show has provoked strident street protests from the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) which joined the top Sikh clergy's demand for a public apology from 'Bhajji'.

Raising slogans and tearing posters of Harbhajan and television star Mona Singh, who played 'Sita' in her dance sequence with the cricketer, the VHP activists held a protest in the city on Wednesday and derided the Bhajji-Mona act of playing the Ramayana character as "blasphemous" and "outrageous" to the Hindu sentiments.

"Both have distorted the epic in the worst possible way as Ravana had kidnapped Sita, the wife of Rama, the legendry idol for the millions of the Hindus" said agitating VHP leaders of Chandigarh.
Ek Khiladi EK Hasina" height=290 alt="Harbhajan dancing with actress Mona Singh on the sets of Ek Khiladi EK Hasina" src="http://mediaservice.digitaltoday.in/indiatoday//images/stories//Anupam/081008084401_Bhajji-dancing_200.jpg" width=200>
Harbhajan dancing with actress Mona Singh on the sets of Ek Khiladi EK Hasina

The VHP has threatened to lodge an FIR against both Harbhajan and Mona for "denigrating the Hindu religion" by their "ill-conceived act of mocking Sita".

The controversy has snowballed as the VHP's vociferous protest has come close on the heels of serious objections raised by the Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh to Harbhajan Singh, a Sikh, dressing like 'Ravana' in the television show.

"Harbhajan's disgusting act has not only hurt the Sikh community but also amounts to denigrating the epic characters of the Ramayana" said the Jathedar, asking Harbhajan to apologise publicly.

Meanwhile, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), the apex Sikh religious body, has also reacted sharply to the indiscretion of  Harbhajan and Mona.

"It's unfortunate both of them belong to the Sikh families and have hurt the religious sensibilities of the Sikhs," said SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar, adding that they have crossed the line as the Sikhs never mock at their own religion or others.

http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&issueid=55&id=17101&Itemid=1&sectionid=4

Shocked What the heck?? I am a Hindu, I saw their dance and there was nothing offensive in it. These people have nothing better to do than to protest over imaginary trespasses! Angry

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

thesaint148

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mona-Bhajji are in trouble! Controversy over dance" in Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

blyton

IF-Rockerz

blyton

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged
Another article:

Harbhajan upsets Sikh community
October 08, 2008 17:24 IST

Gyani Gurbachan Singh, the Jathedar Akal Takht (highest Sikh temporal seat), expressed shock over the behaviour of Sikh cricketer Harbhajan Singh [Images], who danced on television dance show, Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena with Mona Singh, wearing a tilak and dressed as Ravana.

The Jathedar said the incident has caused severe resentment among the Sikh community and has sought apology from the off-spinner. Gurbachan said that being a Sikh, it was highly objectionable of Harbhajan to wear tilak and act as Ravana and dance publicly, and that these things would not be tolerated. Various Sikh and Hindu organisations, including the Shiv Sena, protested against the dance, and demanded apology from the performers.

Gurbachan also said the incident would be probed though no one has lodged a complaint so far with the Akal Takht. "If somebody files a complaint, suitable action against the cricketer could be initiated irrespective of the fact that he is not a baptised Sikh," the Jathedar said.

Gurbachan said that Harbhajan should apologise to sooth public sentiment and should take care of the tenets of the Sikh community in future.

"At the international level, everybody knows Harbhajan as a Sikh and whatever he does reflects on our community," he said.

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2008/oct/08bhaji.htm

NKSUDHIR

IF-Dazzler

NKSUDHIR

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged
I guess these people are sick in their heads, its just a dance show and they are making big deal about it.

Poor Mona, I think today is her birthday too. I remember it is 8th but it is October 8th, I don't remeber exactly.
I think they should apologise so that these people shut up for now.
It is ridiculous. They were not doing this to hurt Hindus or Sikhs, it is just a dance perfomance without a theme.

Sharmii

IF-Sizzlerz

Sharmii

Posted: 09 October 2008 at 2:28am | IP Logged
Just goes to show the unemployment rate in India.....I am so tired of all this religious sentiments yaar...!!People forget their basic human sentiments....

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 09 October 2008 at 6:17am | IP Logged
Omg..nt gain... Bhajji in a controversy gain!! Dis is g8n worse day-by-day.. y duz he do such acts i wonder?? M nt a Bhajji fan in particular bt Im quite a fan of Mona..Hope dey clear evrtyn soon

blyton

IF-Rockerz

blyton

Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sharmii

Just goes to show the unemployment rate in India.....I am so tired of all this religious sentiments yaar...!!People forget their basic human sentiments....

Completely agree with you Sharmi.....it is thanks to these moral policemen that young people are getting so disillusioned with religion...which is very sad because true religion is always tolerant and accepting . I'm sure the gods themselves have a much better sense of humour than these people.

blyton

IF-Rockerz

blyton

Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged
A video about the whole issue...so Mona called up and apologised but she too seemed puzzled and annoyed by the reactions....who would have guessed that an innocent and funny dance could kick up such a fuss??

NKSUDHIR

IF-Dazzler

NKSUDHIR

Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the Video, Blyton. Its just ridiculous the way Media is spearding this nonesense.
Mona did say sorry but she told them that her intentions were not to hurt anyone. It is funny the way she said," If people watch religous show, they cannot call themseles Sadhu, mahatama or guru." Which is true, she never said that she is Sita. It is just an act comletely performed to show their dance moves.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top