TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago

It was Yash Chopra who started the trend largely and the Swiss Alps became an integral part of his movies just like the chiffon sari clad herione who mandatorily wears white in a rain song ... but in recent times this obsession has been taken to the next level...in Tashan ( ironically a YRF film) Kareena is in Hardwar in one scene and in the next scene she and the 2 heroes are driving through a pictursque area of Italy or some other exotic European contry and we are supposed to believe that it is India...a few years ago foreign locales were used only for dream sequences but now whole movies are shot abroad just to exploit the beautiful spots.. Dhoom 2 was shot in South America ...maybe Dhoom 3 will be shot in the jungles of Africa...actually that doesnt sound so bad..atleast Uday chopra wont look mis cast!😈

For me one main reason why Drona didnt work was the fact that what started off as a story of a man in soem foreign country suddenly got transported to the medeivial ages and then suddenly while we were just gettin used to that age a train appeared from nowhere leaving me all confused...And tehn there was Kidnap....as if teh situation where Imran takes Minisshato the beach for a bath isnt absurd enough...we are suddenly at all these beautiful  water bodies with not a soul in sight....where are such spots in Mumbai...maybe the myopic me missed out on them in the 2 years that I was there...aaarghh!

A film like Welcome to Sajjanpur was such a welcome change ( no pun intendedπŸ˜›) in terms of location...to see a village and villagers look so real was such a relief that I could cry...I loved the tree under which Shreyas made his office...or Amrita's house...or even the dog Putru...who wasnt a designer chihuaha....thank God for small mercies... another better one in recent times was JWM....atleast the train was real and not a cardboard one being rocked by the spotboys...the song yeh hawaon mein hai kya also had some nice spots...

TZP showed that  a beautiful place like Panchgani which is just hours away from Mumbai has been grossly underused....

Sorry for the rant...any views on this?πŸ˜›

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pichchi thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
By using this amazing picture perfect locations of various beautiful countries in the world the idea is to create that buzz of perfectness in the viewer's mind. Designer clothes, beautiful girl, handsome guy, beautiful surrounding...aaah isn't that an illusion....Of all the mainstream actors I think Aamir is the only one to have most of movies based in India (of course apart from Dil Chahta Hain which I think was done in Australia and his coming venture Ghajini which uses South Africa). Not to say that I have any problem with other actors doing movies shot in other countries.....
TallyHo thumbnail
Originally posted by: pichchi

By using this amazing picture perfect locations of various beautiful countries in the world the idea is to create that buzz of perfectness in the viewer's mind. Designer clothes, beautiful girl, handsome guy, beautiful surrounding...aaah isn't that an illusion....Of all the mainstream actors I think Aamir is the only one to have most of movies based in India (of course apart from Dil Chahta Hain which I think was done in Australia and his coming venture Ghajini which uses South Africa). Not to say that I have any problem with other actors doing movies shot in other countries.....

I am all for foreign locales if they fit the story...a namaste london for example...or even Dil chahta hai where atleast there was a valid reason for the characters to be there...but bringing in foreign locations just for the sake of it....might have been novel  initiallly but now its overdone to the extent of being irritating...movie makers should credit the audiences with some brains atleast!πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by TallyHo - 15 years ago
Angel39 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I suppose its this visual thing.

If the script requires it ...go ahead....

But i suppose just for a song..its just making the visuals look better!
But im sure there are beautiful places in India where they can shoot too.

I suppose our industry thinks by shooting a song in a foreign country will make theer fiolm bigger
I agree with you i think that foreign locales should only be used if required in the story not just for the sake of it...for example DDLJ is one that used that and indian locales well.

I loved welcome to sajjanpur for that reason you said it was nice to see proper village for a changes...i want films to use more sets like that vivah , JWM simply because for me that is real india :) each time i go i go to those type of places in punjab.

If asian films do not promote these places and show the beauty who else will...
TallyHo thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ektas_Angel

I agree with you i think that foreign locales should only be used if required in the story not just for the sake of it...for example DDLJ is one that used that and indian locales well.

I loved welcome to sajjanpur for that reason you said it was nice to see proper village for a changes...i want films to use more sets like that vivah , JWM simply because for me that is real india :) each time i go i go to those type of places in punjab.

If asian films do not promote these places and show the beauty who else will...

yes...too much of foreign flavors....I really crave for desi sometimes
 πŸ˜›