Rules & Announcements

Should Username change be Allowed? (Page 4)

Poll Question: Should we allow members to change their username?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [4.35%]
68 [17.39%]
49 [12.53%]
257 [65.73%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 15

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged
Here's what I think:

If you're going to let the users change their username - DEV team approval should not be required as they will still have to do the same work as they do now.

If you're going to put a time restraint on it - there's little freedom in what users can do. So if they mispell their username, they'd be forced to keep it for 6 months straight before they can change it.

If you only allow it to specific member groups, then, you will be unfair to those who, although have stayed with the site for a long time, are yet to have 2999+ posts.

Why change usernames? Just let users change the display name. Over at the TDA forum, we're allowed to change the display name, not the username. That seems like a more reasonable alternative to me.

P.S Voting on it seems rather pointless as some people have multiple accounts.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Should Username change be Allowed? (Page 4)" in Rules & Announcements forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ksg.

IF-Sizzlerz

ksg.

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ShadowKisses

Here's what I think:

If you're going to let the users change their username - DEV team approval should not be required as they will still have to do the same work as they do now.

If you're going to put a time restraint on it - there's little freedom in what users can do. So if they mispell their username, they'd be forced to keep it for 6 months straight before they can change it.

If you only allow it to specific member groups, then, you will be unfair to those who, although have stayed with the site for a long time, are yet to have 2999+ posts.

Why change usernames? Just let users change the display name. Over at the TDA forum, we're allowed to change the display name, not the username. That seems like a more reasonable alternative to me.

I don't see the poll voting is pointless because this isn't such a situation that someone would use their other I-F users to vote for what they want.
It's not that big of a deal, so I disagree!

mittijalebi

IF-Rockerz

mittijalebi

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged
i dont think username changes should be allowed at all.  this will get so confusing for everyone, especially if your trying to find an older post from someone.  how will you be able to find out what their new name is?  i think its a bad idea.

-Chicha-

IF-Dazzler

-Chicha-

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged

Here's what I think:

I tottaly agree with you :]
We should change out display name not our usernames :]
it will make a lot easier

amalia

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Jungli Billi

IF-Sizzlerz

Jungli Billi

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged

okies.. I don't think anyone is as careless to spell their username wrong. I'm sure there must be some check on the data being input by the user such as 're-enter your desired username' or something of this form to ensure data integrity.

However, if someone does mispell their username.. I'm sure a kind PM to admin/GMs explaining the situation will be enough to correct the mistake...Embarrassed no ones 'forced' to keep anything.

The Dev. Team aren't all that bad, we're quite reasonable people. Smile

Mitesh.P

IF-Rockerz

Mitesh.P

AJMBHK Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Jungli Billi

okies.. I don't think anyone is as careless to spell their username wrong. I'm sure there must be some check on the data being input by the user such as 're-enter your desired username' or something of this form to ensure data integrity.

However, if someone does mispell their username.. I'm sure a kind PM to admin/GMs explaining the situation will be enough to correct the mistake...Embarrassed no ones 'forced' to keep anything.

The Dev. Team aren't all that bad, we're quite reasonable people. Smile

Agree. If there is no restraint then I can see many users changing thier ID daily. From some people I know they will change tiny things in thier ID to find the "perfect" oneConfusedLOL. The best solution would be for all members to change it every 6 months.

Thanks for letting us choose.
Magnificent,

pyaari_puja

IF-Sizzlerz

pyaari_puja

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged
i think it should be allowed... cuz likee wen pl first join they usually have their name and or somethign abt some show.. after a while people may realize it isntas safe to keep their namein their username and dey wanna change that .. i mean its a valid reason... when first tmakin a username no one goes thru hours of though thinkin wat wil be the perfect usuername they will keep forever.. and ppl use show character.. but shows end charatcers die.. ppl dnt wannakeep dat... i think ti shoudl be allowed every 6ish minths
HOWEVER, i thnk admin approal is too much of a hassle.. itsalmost liek the old ay then where we have to wait till an admin change our username and sometimes admins r too busy to change usernames esp wendey hve a bigrequest of em.. dat takes too much time and is liek the current system.. lmsot no change

Edited by pyaari_puja - 01 October 2008 at 4:11pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top