Should Username change be Allowed?

Poll Question :

Should we allow members to change their username?

Poll Choice
Yes. It will be fun changing everyday!
No (That will create a lot of problem for other members.
Yes. But should be approved by Admin/GM
Yes. Allow a change every 6months.
Login To Vote
Posted: 15 years ago
Hi Friends,

In the past we had an unrestricted username policy which has resulted in various member accounts with wierd names: $#@#@$%@    or    $#$#IS@#@ and which really doesnt makes any sense. And some of the members have used special characters which I myself do not know how to type them. 😆

So to make things simpler in the new registration process we have restricted it to just AlphaNumeric and one can even check the availability instead of trying again and again.

And in order to make it simpler and same for all we are trying to work out a way that the process is simpler and members with non-alphanumeric characters can request a username change instantly.

And on a regular basis we keep getting PMs with Username Changes and this should even solve that. But before we implement this we would like to know your opinion on Username change requests.

Cheers,
Vijay

Hey.
I got a few suggestions
will edit this shortly.

Well I think that, Username Change should be allowed, but there should be some restirctions. We could do something like all I-F Groups from I-F Dazzler, IF Rockerz & Dev Team can change their username, that way we can be sure that recentally joined members (newbies, groupies) can't make unappropriate username changes. I'm sure most of our I-F dazlers and above are trustworthy since they have been with I--F for a long period of time.

I like the restriction about having a change only in 6 months, that way it will be easier to recongnize members for that time too.=)
Edited by dramaholic - 15 years ago
it should be allowed if some one is willing to change it. But not so frequently.

It should be allowed but with restrictions...maybe allow every 6months, so the workloads for the admin/Gm will be reduced. 

Like dramaholic wrote, maybe newbies should not be allowed to change until they become dazzler or rockerz and if they badly want,,maybe the admin/Gm should approve that!

I think username change should be allowed from IF-Dazzlers onwards. This is so we know they have been with IF for a long time and might want to change their username. Although I think the Admins/GMs should approve of it or else their may be too many members changing usernames and it will become very confusing!

Yeah, but not so frequently :)

Every 6 months would be nice..

I think name changes should not be allowed.
Yes. Allow a change every 6months. 😊
yeahh i think once every 6 months should be good :)
and i agree^^ only IF-Dazzlers+ should be bale to change their username :)
Yes! Allow a change every 6months,  BUT...with the approval of an Admin or GM. The process needs some moderation.

^ If that can not be implemented then I'd stick to a straight NO!

Playing around and changing usernames may be fun for the individual, but it'll be annoying for everyone else.