Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 08 October 2005 at 6:02pm | IP Logged
Hey guys this forum is so sleepy on weekends so i thought lets start another HOT HOT debate !!

We often make snap judgements about people on the basis of their clothes . Infact i too am guilty of such things . But is that the way to go ? I mean we see a woman in short skirt , shorts , tank tops , spaghetti dress OR sometimes even sleeveless dress and decide we DONOT approve and make nasty comments !! Call her sluty , cheap , too modern etc etc !!

Then again we have some who look down upon women in sarees , salwar kameez , and call them a behanji !!

In hindi serials and films you see a women with loose morals dressing in western attire or the heroine who has a bad attitude . And its the heros responsibility to change her , including her dressing style !!And he does towrds the end . Heroine turns good by changing into a saree!!

I came upon this debate idea when i was reading in the Astitva forum how some members criticised the main character , Niki Aneja's dressing style ." some member said " he lost respect for this actress after he saw her in those clothes " Is that the right thing to do ?????????????????????????

Should we base our respect on the basis of her dress sense or should it be that we look at her as a human being as a person . Her nature , her thoughts etc . Does a woman who dresses in tank tops and shorts go to the mandir and respect her elders . And does a woman in Saree or Salwar K have modern views ????

Let me tell you personally i am the sort who loves being in Westerns when i am with friends  . BUT .....when i am with elders i like to show respect by wearing traditional clothes .And i am carefull of what i wear on the streets of Delhi , don't want to be whisttled atAngry !! I am a traditional girl otherwise who likes to follow Indian customs - like festivals , respecting elders etc etc . But if i wore those same clothes i wear with friends i know people on the streets of Delhi will pass judgement .

Whats your view ??????? Whats your experience ???????????? Please share !!

Also one request , please write more than " I hate westerns " or " i hate sarees  ". or something to that effect in your post . Just one liners without any explanation are very confusing to understand !! I mean say why you think what you think !!

Edited by indygirl - 08 October 2005 at 6:10pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Women and clothes- traditional vs western" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

~*kRiTu*~

Goldie

~*kRiTu*~

Posted: 08 October 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged
Clothes DO NOT REFLECT ONES PERSNALITY

i mean if u wear a pair of tank top and a skirt it doeant mean that got no values, thats totaly stupid, a person wearing traditional clothes can be as 'bigda hua' as a person wearing western clothes, seriously i havesnt seen A SINGLE girl who's 20-22 here wearing traditional clothes, that doesnt mean they're all non-value types and ya, and well i havent seen a lot of them so i cant comment much LOL LOL

ME_T

ME_T

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged
yes clothes do reflect u a sa person. i mean sum1 modest would not wear revealing clothes. but then u can't judge sum1 completely and say hey i don't liek u, just coz of what they wear. yh ur clothes are importent as they reflect u. we've been told this in skool many times. that if u dress and a disgrace, then ppl will take u a disgrace. i think that ppl can't completely judge sum1 just bcoz of what they wear, although ur clothes show what kind of a perosn u r.

PixieDust91

Goldie

PixieDust91

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 12:56pm | IP Logged
It depends on when and where you wear the clothes. I'm a girl and if I go to the pool with a swimsuit on, it doesn't mean I don't have values. If i'm going to the Mandir or something, i'm not going to wear jeans and a tank top, I'd wear indian clothes. However, if someone crosses the limit, like wearing really skimpy and revealing clothes, than yah, it's bad. Normally, I wear a t-shirts, sometimes tank tops and low-waist jeans or capris.

Sometimes it doesn't really matter if they're wearing indian clothes at all. Last night I went to a garba and I saw a girl with a backless strap top with a saree. What's the difference between that and a normal tank top. Just because it's indian doesn't mean that it's good to wear in front of elders.

Edited by PixieDust91 - 09 October 2005 at 12:57pm

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PixieDust91

It depends on when and where you wear the clothes. I'm a girl and if I go to the pool with a swimsuit on, it doesn't mean I don't have values. If i'm going to the Mandir or something, i'm not going to wear jeans and a tank top, I'd wear indian clothes. However, if someone crosses the limit, like wearing really skimpy and revealing clothes, than yah, it's bad. Normally, I wear a t-shirts, sometimes tank tops and low-waist jeans or capris.

Sometimes it doesn't really matter if they're wearing indian clothes at all. Last night I went to a garba and I saw a girl with a backless strap top with a saree. What's the difference between that and a normal tank top. Just because it's indian doesn't mean that it's good to wear in front of elders.

I absolutely agree with you . In fact i have seen people wearing very hot saree blouses and i see no difference between those and tank tops . Also i agree , all clothes have a time and place . I won't go to meet my grand mom and my in - laws wearing western clothes , but if i am at a nightclub with my hubby and friends tank tops are just fine .Nor will i go to a mandir wearing shorts or walk on the streets in India in low cut blouses !! But if you wear it at a party its perfectly great Wink!!

sweetsorrow18

IF-Rockerz

sweetsorrow18

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PixieDust91

i agree with you completely.
i think what a person wears does not reflect their personality entirely, but it does make up alot about them

Nishani

IF-Dazzler

Nishani

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 4:16am | IP Logged
I am 100% westernised....but I do love to wear saris when I go to weddings or traditional functions. Smile

Saris are the only traditional outfit I will wear.

deepey

IF-Dazzler

deepey

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:34pm | IP Logged
even im guilty of judging people by what they wear Embarrassed Ouch but i guess its that our mind is just set that way. us being indians we are always taught to cover ourselves up ans stuff and on tv we always see the "good person" in indian outfits and "the evilperson" in short skirts. Confused

but i prefer salwaar suit over anything.....

i wear western outfits at uni and stuff, but if their is a special occasion, or if we r going over to somebody's house always salwaar suit.. at home i prefer being comfy ull always find me in pajamas no matter what time of the day.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top