Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki (Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii)

Chetan's back to school - Indya.com

EkPahelii thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago
Chetan's back to school

After criticism of 'Greek' looking Mahabharat, actors told to change the way they act and dress.

Chetan Hansraj has just finished three weeks of a workshop where hehad to un-learn acting - apparently serial-style dramabaazi has become second nature to TV actors.

"We have done a workshop for three weeks, there they taught us about how to deliver dialogues," he said. So why does he need to learn these skills again? Because of Mahabharat.

"The feel is completely different when you do Mahabharat than when you do a daily soap," he said, "our teacher has seen the daily soap, and it brought us into a completely different way of thinking our lines and our acting. We get caught up in the daily soap every time we act, every time we deliver dialogue, but here we have to change our body language and everything else we do."

The show has been dwindling in the terms of viewership and came under attack for its eclectic look, including from veteran Alok Nath, who scoffed at the attempt to modernise a classic story.

Chetan defended the show, saying: "This is going to be a golden period of Mahabharat. When the kingdom of Hastinapur is thought of as having its prosperous period, there is going to be more colour and richness to it."

He said he "didn't care about the numbers of any show: I am an actor and my job is to act. These numbers don't mean anything to me."

He said that the look of the show might change when a generation moved on. "Lots of generations have passed, and the show started with a different generation," he said, "And surely in that era also trends used to change with time? Whenever there will be a leap, we will show changes in attire and in everything else."

He said it wasn't emulating the Greeks. "It is a warrior's look and not a Greek look. If warriors don't look martial then their look is of no use. A warrior has to have body armor on."

Chetan's also reached the finale of Kaun Jeetega Ticket To Bollywood and says he's confident of winning. "We three are strong contenders and I am quite confident about my winning, let's see what happens," he said.

• Sonali Joshi, Hill Road Media.
  • Wednesday, September 24, 2008

• Indya.co
    m