tamil tv serials - a nostalgic view

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Cinemalover, I was just reading this thread and it definitely sounds like the serials of the 80's were much better than the ones I am seeing these days on SunTV. Since I had already left India by that time, I have not seen any of these serials but it sounds like there was good comedy, suspense, and the best part of it all is that the serials appear to have been kept short, unlike the mega serials that we are seeing now. I wish someone would rerun some of these serials on SunTV.

I am looking forward to reading more from your end.

Originally posted by cinemalover

with the success of the above serials , the production and broadcast of serials  begun to florish with the populat drama troupes venturing into serials and there was a regul;ar showing of serials in weekdays with the 7to 730pm in the evening is the only allotted slot and and an addition slot at 830am in sunday.

so serial makers have to make serials and wait for thier turn till the current ones ended.
aparat from sv sekar, mouli, Yg mahendra ,kathadi ramamurthy also entered the serial scenes and produced some remarkable ones.

who can forget mouli's Flight 172,the masterpiece among serials and even the CD/DVd release  2 years ago of that serial met much success than most modern films.

flight 172 is about the nadhaswaram troupe with mouli in the lead, who are booked for a bombay concert, so they get a chance to travel in the prestigious chennai -mumbai flight 172,
the flight is delayed and the troupe's experience3 in the waiting lounge along with other passengers coming from different walks of life.

the passengers include many from,rich businessman,politician,bureacrats,drunkard and an actress and even a murdere escaping from police.

all end well with the troupe fullfilling their mission, the main point is the humourously shown experiences of those rustic people who travel first time in air.

Nice thread.

Wish everyone would visit this and make it more active and ineteresting.

I have seen the Flight 172, not as a serial, as a DVD. It was a nice comedy track with Mouli, one of the greatest dialogue writer of the age.

The way he pronounces stomach ache "stomach a- che" really made my stomach ache. Also when he tells about his education to the businessman in English imakes us laugh a bit louder.
"Big water came to our town" "Next day school went to town" "you go town you drink beedi. so no go to town" Some of my fav. in the play.

A nice thread. Applause. Great work.
👏👏

awww yes Flight 172 is my favorite one as well - i also
got to see it in DVD - it is hilarious when he describes the
Thavil - "it is round but square" : "paiyaalu the vothu"
"my ammachi said no! if u go to town, u drink white beedi!!"

This is interesting - CL seems to be a data base. I am also
waiting - to know when exactly the serial "Penn" by Suhasini
was telecast.

CL , it will be a good idea if u can provide info on where the VCDs /DVDs
can be bought. Personally, I would like to get Penn.

I too remember few serials which my grannma used to watch. I would come hoem to take lunch and sometimes spend time insinde the house because of the hot sun.

Shanthi starring Manthra Bedi.
Swabhimaan
Oru penin Kathai starring Mohini
Ethanai manithargal starring shiva kumar
School Days - one of my favourite
Kolai uthir kaalam, a thriller.
All these were in DD.

My favourites also include Ramayana and Mahabharat which I never missed.

Also, In suntv I remember watching Surya starring M.K.Stalin with deepa venkat as a blind girl and I think Sriman also played a role of deepa's brother.

Nimadhi Ungal Choice in my choice of serial every Friday.

And some more.... to come from our hearts..

well well, all these are Greek and Latin to me!!!
But I do know Marmadesam - Naga's story - Chetan
plays the split personality role - the suspense was
kept tight until the end - and until almost near the end
no one could even guess this!!!

I did watch some episodes of Ethanai Manidhargal -
it was shown here in Astro - never followed it religiously.
Sivakumar is the editor of a news paper, right?

This is interesting. Tell us more,  CL.

Of course Ramayanam and Mahabharath - again did not
see all the episodes - my brother's son was young then and
he used to watch. So, one day he called my Sis.in.law as
"soorpanagai" when she shouted at him for some thing -
My SIL was so shocked that he was able to relate and just
laughed because it was so funny.  He was going to some play
school and when it is time to get back home, instead of byes and
see yas, he and his friends exchanged "Vijay Ho" - which I
personally felt was a very nice way of taking leave.I do not think
that any parent will feel comfortable about letting their kids watch
any of today's mega serials!!!
Edited by rojapoooo - 15 years ago

Roja Akka, marmedasam what u told was part 2 Vidadhu karupu.
Part 1 was still more good and ineteresting. It was the story of navabashana lingam. A tanker lorry.
Ramji was looking so good in the serial. Devdharshini and chetan also played roles. A nice thriller that we could never miss. Prithvi raj also had a role.

A horror genre serial was Nishganthi. I remember Charuhasan played a role. Only that I remember. Poor memory.

Ipadikku thendral is serial that my Mom loved, for some reason. I think Neena, suresh B.E and ramji played the lead.

I enjoyed a a programme called which could not be catogarized as serial but tells us so many short thrilling stories, which were told be real life experiences.

One more in the recent past was Krishnadhasi, a good one in the start but i think it was stopped somewhere in the middle. I was a fan of Suja raghu ram. Suja rahuram played the role of meenakshi. Aravind - Sunderasan character was the hero.

When all these are tld, we could not miss certian comedy genres.
CID Sambu done by Y.G.Mahendran, if i'm not wrong, was something based on Sherlock holmes.
One was done by vivek, which I for got the name, in sun tv.
Y.G.Mahendran was acting in vasool chakravarthy where he enters a compund of houses to collect the rent.
Nil Kavani Crazy, Mel Maadi gaali, Costly maapillai, panju pattu peethambaram were some of the famous names in this Genre.

Enna solringa cinema lover?

Thanks Cinema lover.

Speaking about Nizhalgal ravi, I remember KBC serial "Jannal" in which he plays a father role. That was also a nice one.

Thanks for the golden olden updates.
I do remember some of those comedies - but the Tamizh ones
were never as good as the Hindi ones - Ghar  Jamai, Yeh jo hai Zindagi -
kept the viewers glued to the TV - and one another show is the
Quiz by Siddharth  Basu -
RP,
Well said.
I recall Hum Log to be one of the first sitcoms that India was ever interested in.
Vinod Nagpal as the father was history every day when teh serial was on. And Sushma seth was even seen lately in Kal ho na ho.
How about Satish Shah's famous one liner? It overtakes Bond's entire series of punch lines
"Yeh sab kay ho raha hai?"
one can never forget those evening hindi prime time serials followed by millions.