Debate Mansion

DOTW - Plagiarism - How fair is it?? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 4

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 4

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 18 September 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Originally posted by Anuradha

Seems everyone agrees to the fact that plagiarism is punishable.. According to me, anyone can tell lies to others, anyone can copy but they cannot lie to their conscience.. So, if we catch anyone doing plagiarism we should better let them answer to their conscience...

I thought this was supposed to be a debate(hence the word DEBATE of the weekLOL) not a chiming sessionWinkLOL

We all write in English on this website, we use the words out of the dictionary or some book of words. If everyone is so in favor of attributing, Why is it OK not to attribute the word of books in here?

The basic word plagiarism, someone fought on this word to get their intellectual property rights, now has anyone attributed that person in any of their posts?

Now the creater of this website hasn't anywhere published the creators of the first website, which in turn led him(them) to creation of a website named India-forums.comLOL, does that constitute to Plagiarism too?

Plagiarism- How fair is it? Anything that has a copyright, should be attributed to the source, other than that, has absolutely no need to be attributed too, that is my position on the topicTongue

Now I guess people are going to start dancing semantics of two words inspiration and plagiarism instead of just plagiarismLOL

You indeed have raised some interesting points and I was hoping that someone would say that.  Now, suppose you write an essay - a whole original essay about a topic but before you submit someone else copies it and submits it before you? Would you say they are just inspired?

Now think about it - You are an artist.  And you created this beautiful massage chair that can get rid of any body pains.  Before you can submit your designs, somebody complete plagiarizes your work and turns it as their own.  They get the project to build something that you thought of?  That's fine too??

I am sure it isn't.  Now thinking about science, every scientist builds off of another scientists work.  That is not plagiarism if due credit is given to the original author/worker and you modify or add on to it.  If you read valid scientific research papers then all of them have stolen previous scientists works - but then give them credit.  That's all the matters.  You give the credit (just one line that ok this idea belongs to ___) and then you build your work off of it.

-Mahi

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTW - Plagiarism - How fair is it?? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 18 September 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Anuradha

So, the question for debate here is:

1. Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?

No.  

1. We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?

First, the word Plagiarism implies copying without credit. Plagiarism itself can never be allowed. But copying something after taking the creator's permission/paying them the dues and giving the original idea credit, is fine.

What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?

With strong implementation of Intellectual Property Laws. Just having them in place wont do. There should be punitive measures in place to prevent others from unlawfully benefiting from the hard work of other people.
  1. Should plagiarism be punished by law??

Refer to the above.

...anshu...

IF-Dazzler

...anshu...

Posted: 20 September 2008 at 1:47am | IP Logged

Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?

no i guess tha's d tragedy of today ppl jst  depend on someone else's work and don't even use their brain for a single thing. they r adapted to spoon feeding i guess.

We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?
when the credit is given to the right ppl or organisation i guess

What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?

ways well lets c first of all i think if u r doing it, stop it.

Should plagiarism be punished by law??
law i don't think so. we on our own should do something abt it

anshu

muscleprotein

IF-Rockerz

muscleprotein

Posted: 20 September 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged

Since plagiarism is being condemned by almost all entires, would not like to 'chime into' ( Anuradha's phares, lest i be caught for plagiarismTongue)

here is cartoon, which depicts it in  anutshell!!
Could not plagiarise the picture Cry

Mumbaichic

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 20 September 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Golden iron

Golden iron

Posted: 23 September 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

anything which is copyright, should be credited. Rest is open to the world. Specially in the world of Internet. Either copyright it or it is world's property Tongue

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 September 2008 at 3:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Golden iron

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

anything which is copyright, should be credited. Rest is open to the world. Specially in the world of Internet. Either copyright it or it is world's property Tongue
Yes this is from a legal perspective only. Plagiarism and copyright infringement are two separate things.

Mumbaichic

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 24 September 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top