Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

DOTW - Plagiarism - How fair is it?? (Page 3)

chal_phek_mat Senior Member
chal_phek_mat
chal_phek_mat

Posted: 17 September 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Anuradha

Seems everyone agrees to the fact that plagiarism is punishable.. According to me, anyone can tell lies to others, anyone can copy but they cannot lie to their conscience.. So, if we catch anyone doing plagiarism we should better let them answer to their conscience...

I thought this was supposed to be a debate(hence the word DEBATE of the weekLOL) not a chiming sessionWinkLOL

We all write in English on this website, we use the words out of the dictionary or some book of words. If everyone is so in favor of attributing, Why is it OK not to attribute the word of books in here?

The basic word plagiarism, someone fought on this word to get their intellectual property rights, now has anyone attributed that person in any of their posts?

Now the creater of this website hasn't anywhere published the creators of the first website, which in turn led him(them) to creation of a website named India-forums.comLOL, does that constitute to Plagiarism too?

Plagiarism- How fair is it? Anything that has a copyright, should be attributed to the source, other than that, has absolutely no need to be attributed too, that is my position on the topicTongue

Now I guess people are going to start dancing semantics of two words inspiration and plagiarism instead of just plagiarismLOL
IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 17 September 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Seems everyone agrees to the fact that plagiarism is punishable.. According to me, anyone can tell lies to others, anyone can copy but they cannot lie to their conscience.. So, if we catch anyone doing plagiarism we should better let them answer to their conscience...

I thought this was supposed to be a debate(hence the word DEBATE of the weekLOL) not a chiming sessionWinkLOL

We all write in English on this website, we use the words out of the dictionary or some book of words. If everyone is so in favor of attributing, Why is it OK not to attribute the word of books in here?

The basic word plagiarism, someone fought on this word to get their intellectual property rights, now has anyone attributed that person in any of their posts?

Now the creater of this website hasn't anywhere published the creators of the first website, which in turn led him(them) to creation of a website named India-forums.comLOL, does that constitute to Plagiarism too?

Plagiarism- How fair is it? Anything that has a copyright, should be attributed to the source, other than that, has absolutely no need to be attributed too, that is my position on the topicTongue

Now I guess people are going to start dancing semantics of two words inspiration and plagiarism instead of just plagiarismLOL

Interesting points CPM bhaiWinkTongueClap!!! This issue of Plagiarism is never ending and ever green. It is present in every field. what matters more...is who delivered the concept fast...in a better manner...to how much people ....LOLLOLLOL.
  1. We all know about the  Leibniz and Newton calculus controversy
  2. JC Bose and Marconi controversy
  3. Several songs of several bollywood directors
I donot think there is something like "Plagiarism"....it is "Customization"LOL. Someone gets inspired from someone's orginal work and they customize..rather tailor the product according to their needs.... Infact customization requires more effort is'nt ?Wink
The pain one undergoes when their creative stuff is copied, cannot be measured. I have a small experience related to Debate Mansion of IF to share. In the days when I was very much active in the forum I used to maintain a books thread in DM. One day when I was lazily browsing through the net I found entire stuff of my post..including the member names of IF ShockedOuchAngry. My entire work was copied . I immediately logged into that Copycat's guestboook and scolded badly for copying the stuff (atleast without basic changes like removing the names of IF friends...)...may be because of my words..that person edited that post and wrote decently at the end of the post "Books Links courtesy of India-Forums"LOL. I might not have felt bad if that person gave some credit to me or atleast to the forum..before copying as it is LOLLOLLOL.
Cheers,
Myth
ShadowKisses IF-Dazzler
ShadowKisses
ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 17 September 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by WildGloss

Should plagiarism be punished by law??
IF smoking in public is a punishable act, breaking speed posts.. and so..then why not plagiarism... If its not punishable..its as good as ...a killer killing someone and getting away with it..
That example is a bit extreme. Committing a murder is essentially taking away a person's fundamental right to life. Plagiarism in school/uni/wherever is not as big an act as killing someone. I'm not saying it should be condoned but punishable by law? That's taking it too far. Incorporating law into the issue is equivalent of giving them an invitation to your private computers, as that - I'm assuming - is the only way to determine if plagiarism actually occurred. It should be punishable but it heavily depends on the circumstances, and even then, there are too many variables such as what reason the work was plagiarized for, where the work was submitted etc.

Originally posted by WildGloss

Everything wrong -- small or big... is wrong... .and has to be stopped right?
Define wrong. What you consider 'wrong' or  immoral needn't be immoral to people elsewhere.

Edited by ShadowKisses - 17 September 2008 at 8:52pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ProdigalStudent

raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Posted: 17 September 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged

Thanks for reading! Hope you got my intend on this post straight .LOL

raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Posted: 17 September 2008 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
^^^

Does the above post (not what written there) of mine, morally and ethically justifiable or right? Is it a portrayal of self honesty cum loyalty towards fellow readers? Is it fair?

Dictionary words IMO are not created with the intention of portraying just one?s own understandable terminologies it is meant to help the folks communicate with each other on some level on consistent scale. If you drill down to words > letters > human innovative minds > mind thanking the body > body creation of almighty, then everyone thanks almighty without mentioning specifically.

I understand the terms infringement / copyrights / inspiration etc etc but solely focusing on personal thoughts being stolen, it is NOT right. This concept of plagiarism is vague, no wonder no legal laws against it but I am sure we do understand the underlying consciences betrayal involved in the word plagiarism  

There are limitations of specifically pointing legit fact around plagiarism, this is on person to person to make your calls on, if copy of thoughts is just a copy or a coincidence. Coincidence?Wink LOLLOL

BTW - CPM nice views, I am suspecting you are just kidding here, but spices up the topic and makes it debateable, thanks and no offence meant.Embarrassed - BTW thanks for whoever came up with smiley concept letters/words etc etcWinkLOL

Edited by raj5000 - 17 September 2008 at 8:06pm
Leo IF-Dazzler
Leo
Leo

Posted: 18 September 2008 at 4:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by vijay

But in all this the funnies things that I have noticed:

Some sites not just copy the whole site layout (would not name them) but also copied the TITLE and Meta tags LOL

• Some of the Groups that we have created were created by us : Viewbies, Coolbies, Rockerz, Dazzlers, Goldie and we see people copying these groups too.

What is the way out and how to solve the problem?

I feel we should form a "Anti-Plagiarism Group" on India-Forums.com  whose whole purpose will be to attack the sites who copies the written daily updates, news articles (done by our team) without credits and linkback. Volunteers WANTED! And an active team can really solve this problem to a greater extent.

Do let me know what you all think about it?

Cheers,
Vijay

Seriously, I didn't know about the fact that the Viewbies, Coolbies, Rockerz, Dazzlers, Goldie groups were being copied.Shocked Thats sad. Unhappy

Someone who came with that idea gets no credit at all.

About the Anti-Plagiarism group, Well, We can create a group. But personally, I feel that the group will be active only for the intial days and then people will rarely visit it.

My comments are not meant to discourage the creation of the group.Smile
Anuradha IF-Veteran Member
Anuradha
Anuradha

Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged

When talking about the website part, can you say how ethical is it to copy someone's creative webpage?? You can get inspired about the concept, and put in your own inputs after giving credit from whr you had taken the concept..

Now if someone starts the same topic of debate after reading this one, the person is supposed to give the credit to IF and the author as he/she has got inspired about the concept.. Everyone's mind cannot be alike and when someone has taken their time and used their brains to create something, its not ethical to copy their property.. Even about inspiration - One who is getting inspired to any music piece should atleast give a credit to the composer..
corvette IF-Rockerz
corvette
corvette

Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged
First of all thanks Anu for a great topic!

I am really torn on this one.......

I understand all this "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" stuff, though I think it is simply an excuse to copy...

However in the "dog eat dog" world we live in means I think it's down to the creator to protect his creation. We live ina  modern world - technology and legislation can help.

Having said that, I know people get really het up about plagiarism on the Web and for nicking updates etc....but really guys - do you expect people to have consciences about this and/or necessarily "do the right thing" by crediting the original authors???

People illegally download music off the net all the time - as much as the music industry tries to make an example of them - i dont believe they'll ever be able to stop it....

Unless I am mistaken - writers of the forum updates are not remunerated in any way - they do so coz they want to - maybe enjoy it or have an interest - different from say someone who makes a living out of it and therefore needs exclusivity.

If someone says its not about the money but being appreciated, I would say Get Real......there are unfortunately many things that many people do that never get appreciated and some of these things are far more life impacting/enhancing.

My conclusion is - it's not that straightforward and depends on the circumstances!

hope I havent offended anyone - love and peace to all!

pcAngryMAngry

Go to top