Debate Mansion

DOTW - Plagiarism - How fair is it?? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 15 September 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged
So, the question for debate here is:

1. Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?

I think its badddddddddddddd...dddddd.d. because this person probably worked really hard to do thier work.

1. We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?

Well, unless the person states, "Feel free to modify or take my design, just as long as you give me credit", or "leave my signature in the picture to show that I did the original work" etc.. I wouldnt mind if someone used my pictures just as long as they credited me.

1. What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?

its hard to say...some professors would take a sentence or line that sounded "too-good" and search it in yahoo or google. Once they find a match they would most likely give you a F for plagiarism...But to stop it, i think its hard....

1. Should plagiarism be punished by law??

it is! We have strict intellectual property rights in the US, you cant copy certain things etc.. The US Government and FBI is very strict about this, they also work with other Intl organizations to battle foreign corruption in piracy. aslo In schools you can get expelled for good!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTW - Plagiarism - How fair is it?? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-dramaholic-

IF-Sizzlerz

-dramaholic-

Posted: 15 September 2008 at 11:19am | IP Logged

I personally think its WRONG!

lets move aside from the internet side of the debate and focus on say, courswork..

You send hours finishing your coursework off, and then next minute you see something copying it and getting the credit? i just find it plain disgusting!! People who copy are just shameless..

Even with signatures, even by giving credit to the person, ITS NOT THEIR WORK! its somebody else's idea/concept..so why are you copying it?

I could just go and copy somebody's signature design and then give credit to them.. ITS NOT THE SAME..its not your own, its not orginalty!

Nice Debate=)

Anuradha

IF-Veteran Member

Anuradha

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 16 September 2008 at 12:30am | IP Logged
Seems everyone agrees to the fact that plagiarism is punishable.. According to me, anyone can tell lies to others, anyone can copy but they cannot lie to their conscience.. So, if we catch anyone doing plagiarism we should better let them answer to their conscience...

WildGloss

IF-Rockerz

WildGloss

Posted: 16 September 2008 at 12:50am | IP Logged
  1. Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?

Give credit or not, copying someone's work is wrong... maybe the person you've copied wont have issues if you give credit but how can you digest the fact that you've literally taken someone else's idea.. and feel good about it?

We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?

Plagiarism is considered to be a crime. A small example.... In school...when we guys have to write essays and poems.. people usually have the tendancy to pick out something from the net so they can finish their homework quickly and claim it as their own in school..so recently our school started detention on seeing this. This is a minor way to try and put an end to plagiarism, on larger scales...bigger actions must be taken. Plagiarism is a BIG NO NO!

What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?
On a small scale -- Banning a member, Detention from school... etc.
On a large scale --- Punishments by law, huge charges of fine.
But most importantly to stop plagiarism i feel we need to create AWARENESS amongst the common man, cos not everyone is aware of this cheap thing .

Should plagiarism be punished by law??
IF smoking in public is a punishable act, breaking speed posts.. and so..then why not plagiarism... If its not punishable..its as good as ...a killer killing someone and getting away with it..
Everything wrong -- small or big... is wrong... .and has to be stopped right?

Great topic Anuradha. Smile

- Mahi

girlpower

girlpower

Posted: 16 September 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged

Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?
    I don't think its fair at all to copy someone else's work and not even give them credit. I mean, everyone deserves to be complimented on their work, and especially if someone other than the original owner is being complimented, that really hurts the feelings of the person and he/she may not even want to do the work again!
    We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized..That is another thing. They are being copied on an international level so I think in that sense it should be acceptable, so far as they don't violate extreme cultural values. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? I think plagiarism shouldn't be allowed at all. It totally ruins the whole idea of imagination. And if the work is copied, you don't even feel enthalled by what u hand in. Or can it be allowed? Nope What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?We can discourage the copied posts, eliminate these people out of competitions and *boycott* the plagiarised posts. On the milder side, we can encourage the crediting of the original owners of the work.
  1. Should plagiarism be punished by law??
    It depends on what level the plagiarism takes place. If it takes place at a very high level, then it ought to be punished by law.

-Mystery-

IF-Veteran Member

-Mystery-

BollyCurry Buzzers

Posted: 16 September 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged
I completely agree about the fact that anyone to lie to others but not to himself/herself.  But I bet it would really hurt to see your own creation going around as someone claims it their own. 

Originally posted by vijay

What is the way out and how to solve the problem?

I feel we should form a "Anti-Plagiarism Group" on India-Forums.com  whose whole purpose will be to attack the sites who copies the written daily updates, news articles (done by our team) without credits and linkback. Volunteers WANTED! And an active team can really solve this problem to a greater extent.

Do let me know what you all think about it?

Cheers,
Vijay

That's definitely a good idea!! I am all for it!

-Mahi

~Rinki~

IF-Rockerz

~Rinki~

Posted: 16 September 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged

Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit? nope! its not fair at all because that one person or group of ppl worked rlly hard on it, and for someone to just take it without being given any credit really stings and makes one mad
    We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed? i dont think it should be allowed period! i mean we all are smart and creative enough to come with our own ideas, so ppl should stop plagiarizing and show their own creativity and abilities
    What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism? hm i think if ppl just stop doing it, that would be a big help LOL
  1. Should plagiarism be punished by law?? yes if it was done on purpose, but if that person doesn't even realize they're doing it [which happens sometimes] then maybe a small amount of punishment would work.

Edited by ~Rinki~ - 16 September 2008 at 10:09pm

Anuradha

IF-Veteran Member

Anuradha

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 16 September 2008 at 11:22pm | IP Logged
Himesh has come up with a new word for plagiarism.. He has taken the whole tune of a song from a punjabi album to his own movie Karz.. Now for all the songs he says the music director is Himesh while just for this song Himesh has been tagged as Music Recreator..

But again there is no credit to the song composer.. So, how fair do you think it is??

Post Reply New Post

Go to top