Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Leo thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: vijay

But in all this the funnies things that I have noticed:

Some sites not just copy the whole site layout (would not name them) but also copied the TITLE and Meta tags 😆

• Some of the Groups that we have created were created by us : Viewbies, Coolbies, Rockerz, Dazzlers, Goldie and we see people copying these groups too.

What is the way out and how to solve the problem?

I feel we should form a "Anti-Plagiarism Group" on India-Forums.com  whose whole purpose will be to attack the sites who copies the written daily updates, news articles (done by our team) without credits and linkback. Volunteers WANTED! And an active team can really solve this problem to a greater extent.

Do let me know what you all think about it?

Cheers,
Vijay

Seriously, I didn't know about the fact that the Viewbies, Coolbies, Rockerz, Dazzlers, Goldie groups were being copied.😲 Thats sad. 😔

Someone who came with that idea gets no credit at all.

About the Anti-Plagiarism group, Well, We can create a group. But personally, I feel that the group will be active only for the intial days and then people will rarely visit it.

My comments are not meant to discourage the creation of the group.😊
Anuradha thumbnail
Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

I thought this was supposed to be a debate(hence the word DEBATE of the week😆) not a chiming session😉😆

We all write in English on this website, we use the words out of the dictionary or some book of words. If everyone is so in favor of attributing, Why is it OK not to attribute the word of books in here?

The basic word plagiarism, someone fought on this word to get their intellectual property rights, now has anyone attributed that person in any of their posts?

Now the creater of this website hasn't anywhere published the creators of the first website, which in turn led him(them) to creation of a website named India-forums.com😆, does that constitute to Plagiarism too?

Plagiarism- How fair is it? Anything that has a copyright, should be attributed to the source, other than that, has absolutely no need to be attributed too, that is my position on the topic😛

Now I guess people are going to start dancing semantics of two words inspiration and plagiarism instead of just plagiarism😆

When talking about the website part, can you say how ethical is it to copy someone's creative webpage?? You can get inspired about the concept, and put in your own inputs after giving credit from whr you had taken the concept..

Now if someone starts the same topic of debate after reading this one, the person is supposed to give the credit to IF and the author as he/she has got inspired about the concept.. Everyone's mind cannot be alike and when someone has taken their time and used their brains to create something, its not ethical to copy their property.. Even about inspiration - One who is getting inspired to any music piece should atleast give a credit to the composer..
corvette thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
First of all thanks Anu for a great topic!

I am really torn on this one.......

I understand all this "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" stuff, though I think it is simply an excuse to copy...

However in the "dog eat dog" world we live in means I think it's down to the creator to protect his creation. We live ina  modern world - technology and legislation can help.

Having said that, I know people get really het up about plagiarism on the Web and for nicking updates etc....but really guys - do you expect people to have consciences about this and/or necessarily "do the right thing" by crediting the original authors???

People illegally download music off the net all the time - as much as the music industry tries to make an example of them - i dont believe they'll ever be able to stop it....

Unless I am mistaken - writers of the forum updates are not remunerated in any way - they do so coz they want to - maybe enjoy it or have an interest - different from say someone who makes a living out of it and therefore needs exclusivity.

If someone says its not about the money but being appreciated, I would say Get Real......there are unfortunately many things that many people do that never get appreciated and some of these things are far more life impacting/enhancing.

My conclusion is - it's not that straightforward and depends on the circumstances!

hope I havent offended anyone - love and peace to all!

pc😡M😡

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

I thought this was supposed to be a debate(hence the word DEBATE of the week😆) not a chiming session😉😆

We all write in English on this website, we use the words out of the dictionary or some book of words. If everyone is so in favor of attributing, Why is it OK not to attribute the word of books in here?

The basic word plagiarism, someone fought on this word to get their intellectual property rights, now has anyone attributed that person in any of their posts?

Now the creater of this website hasn't anywhere published the creators of the first website, which in turn led him(them) to creation of a website named India-forums.com😆, does that constitute to Plagiarism too?

Plagiarism- How fair is it? Anything that has a copyright, should be attributed to the source, other than that, has absolutely no need to be attributed too, that is my position on the topic😛

Now I guess people are going to start dancing semantics of two words inspiration and plagiarism instead of just plagiarism😆

You indeed have raised some interesting points and I was hoping that someone would say that.  Now, suppose you write an essay - a whole original essay about a topic but before you submit someone else copies it and submits it before you? Would you say they are just inspired?

Now think about it - You are an artist.  And you created this beautiful massage chair that can get rid of any body pains.  Before you can submit your designs, somebody complete plagiarizes your work and turns it as their own.  They get the project to build something that you thought of?  That's fine too??

I am sure it isn't.  Now thinking about science, every scientist builds off of another scientists work.  That is not plagiarism if due credit is given to the original author/worker and you modify or add on to it.  If you read valid scientific research papers then all of them have stolen previous scientists works - but then give them credit.  That's all the matters.  You give the credit (just one line that ok this idea belongs to ___) and then you build your work off of it.

-Mahi

Morgoth thumbnail
Originally posted by: Anuradha

So, the question for debate here is:

1. Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?

No.  

1. We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?

First, the word Plagiarism implies copying without credit. Plagiarism itself can never be allowed. But copying something after taking the creator's permission/paying them the dues and giving the original idea credit, is fine.

What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?

With strong implementation of Intellectual Property Laws. Just having them in place wont do. There should be punitive measures in place to prevent others from unlawfully benefiting from the hard work of other people.
  1. Should plagiarism be punished by law??

Refer to the above.

...anshu... thumbnail

Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?

no i guess tha's d tragedy of today ppl jst  depend on someone else's work and don't even use their brain for a single thing. they r adapted to spoon feeding i guess.

We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?
when the credit is given to the right ppl or organisation i guess

What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?

ways well lets c first of all i think if u r doing it, stop it.

Should plagiarism be punished by law??
law i don't think so. we on our own should do something abt it

anshu
muscleprotein thumbnail

Since plagiarism is being condemned by almost all entires, would not like to 'chime into' ( Anuradha's phares, lest i be caught for plagiarism😛)

here is cartoon, which depicts it in  anutshell!!
Could not plagiarise the picture 😭
Originally posted by: Anuradha

Hello Friends

I know its a long time we had some global debates in our forum.. So, coming up with a very lite subject which many of them can participate.. 😳

We have been hearing about plagiarism in music, paintings, books, movies and these days we can even see it in various forums where a concept is copied from one forum to another 😆

I was browsing through few of the sites and found many updates being copied from one forum to another.. Its not only the videos or updates, but also various concepts being copied from one forum to another.. The designs of websites are also copied..

So, the question for debate here is:

Is it fair to copy someone's creation or idea without being given a credit?No it is not.  We have seen music, siggy's, site designs, concepts being plagiarized.. So, in what all aspects can the plagiarism be allowed?? Or can it be allowed?Probably not. What are the ways you think we can stop plagiarism?By putting someone's work in qoutes or putting it in ur own words, giving them credit
  1. Should plagiarism be punished by law?? -I would say no
Now, the ball is in ur court and do add your own opinion in this topic 😃

Regards
DM Dev Team

Edited by minal45 - 15 years ago
Golden iron thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

anything which is copyright, should be credited. Rest is open to the world. Specially in the world of Internet. Either copyright it or it is world's property 😛
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Golden iron

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

anything which is copyright, should be credited. Rest is open to the world. Specially in the world of Internet. Either copyright it or it is world's property 😛

Yes this is from a legal perspective only. Plagiarism and copyright infringement are two separate things.