Twilight

Twilight Series: Sexist/Anti-Feminist! (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

-Navi

IF-Rockerz

-Navi

Posted: 02 September 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
I agree so much. I was just thinking and thinking about how there is an underline of sexism in the series. Twilight has always just been a guilty pleasure. I was never infatuated with Edward due to the fact I'm realistic and I consider my feminist [3rd-wave]. Off note, but Edward is just blandsome.. no personality, no soul, and no good for Bella.

Bella has given up so much for Edward. Yes, edward wasn't like "Bella, you can't do that or have that if you want me.." but that's still not to far off. Edward's not sexist, Bella is just burning feminism down as much as Paris Hilton.

Some things I picked up on..
-In twilight, Bella was telling Newton that she was doing a paper on how Shakespeare is Misogynistic.. but in new moon, she's just all infatuated with Romeo.. and supporting R&J's love story-tragedy. Like, before she was kinda 'feminist-y' inside..
-Edward was at first FORBID her to see Jacob, talk to Jacob, and meet him.. come on, now that is an abusive relationship.
Some of my points of the belittiling and anti-feminism in the series
1)She wanted to become a vampire because she thought she'd lose edward if she didn't. Why is it that WOMEN always have to change for MEN!!?
2)She married Edward straight out of high school because it was one of his conditions. She didn't want to but she did.
3)She had a baby.. I know that's not a good point. But, it risked her life.. that isn't anti-feminist-y but it's a shame nothing more came out of her life. The book is just so republican!!.. Pushing off the pro-life message? Perhaps. Okay, yeah I admit that a bad point.. but it made more sense in my head.
4) She didn't go to college or make something of herself. Bella has ended up being another married straight out high school then got pregnant before she was 20 girl..girl, not woman. Bella didn't even get a chance to grow a person.. just get hurt.

I have lots of more points I made in my head before.. but I can't think straight right now.. so I'm just going to stop before I start rambling.

omg, i love your joker avatar.. Heath Ledger was steller in it, Christian Bale.. hmm, I just adored him since Newsies haha.. Maggie Gynehall [sp] is one of my fav. actresses..

-Navi.

Edited by suuunshiine - 02 September 2008 at 6:57pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Twilight Series: Sexist/Anti-Feminist! (Page 2)" in Twilight forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Absolem

Absolem

Posted: 02 September 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
This is by far the most interesting topic i've read in this section. even though i'm like a silent member, i gotta say this one time...that was great. and it made sense, with the things that happen in the book. only god knows how many twilight fans need to read this.Smile.

laddoo598

IF-Sizzlerz

laddoo598

Posted: 02 September 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged
I just want to say a big THANK YOU to you for taking the effort to write this post.Clap I agree with each and every one of your points and being a teenager myself I can see how much books like twilight influence people. Almost all my friends who read twilight want a boyfriend like edward or a relationship like edward and bella's.  I am sick of people saying that twilight is not sending any message and everyone should just take it easy. Twilight IS sending a very wrong message to all those influencial teenage girls out there...
With that said and done I do enjoy reading the book but I would have REALLY liked it for stephenie meyer to give MORE substance to her female characters...

Edited by laddoo598 - 02 September 2008 at 9:30pm

Mini786

IF-Dazzler

Mini786

Posted: 02 September 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged
Hmm...If you go to the FAQ of Breaking Dawn, there is a question if Bella is a anti-Feminist Heroin...I would post it here, but in a hurry, will post it in a bit tho! :]

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 7:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by suuunshiine

Bella has given up so much for Edward. Yes, edward wasn't like "Bella, you can't do that or have that if you want me.." but that's still not to far off. Edward's not sexist, Bella is just burning feminism down as much as Paris Hilton.
I think it can be argued whether or not Edward is sexist. From what I've read of Midnight Sun - he seems to believe that the human race - in general - is mundane and shallow - which, while not sexist isn't exactly promoting equality either. LOL @ Paris. But true, they both are setting feminism back another hundred years.

3)She had a baby.. I know that's not a good point. But, it risked her life.. that isn't anti-feminist-y but it's a shame nothing more came out of her life. The book is just so republican!!.. Pushing off the pro-life message? Perhaps. Okay, yeah I admit that a bad point.. but it made more sense in my head.
To me, that makes sense. It's not so much as Bella's choice to keep the baby (Kudos to her for growing a spine in that matter!) as how it was described that sent the pro-life message. She claimed that the baby was not a choice but a "necessity" and then suddenly, every damn female (Leah, Esme, Rosalie) in the vicinty claim that their lives are 'incomplete' without a baby. This is obviously an out-and-out pro-life message. I vehemently concur with the rest of your points.

omg, i love your joker avatar.. Heath Ledger was steller in it, Christian Bale.. hmm, I just adored him since Newsies haha.. Maggie Gynehall [sp] is one of my fav. actresses..

Thanks ;) Ahh, he really was spectacular in The Dark Knight, the whole cast was, IMO. That's one movie I won't ever get tired of watching.

@ Pheonix_Dragon: Thank you =)
@Ladoo598: Same here. I still like Twilight but I'd like the females to be a bit more stronger, idealistic and ambitious.

Edited by ShadowKisses - 07 September 2008 at 7:49pm

Leenasmg

IF-Sizzlerz

Leenasmg

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 12:00pm | IP Logged

WOW! Ok..i've been a silent member in this post....reading everyone's comments on the sly..LOL!..but not posting myself!

Ummm..well..i have to admit i agree with u to a certain extent...with Bella and her being the whole Anti-Feminist and stuff..and how she actually really is shown to be weak and totally dependant, coz i agree..at times..esp in NM..i found Bella pretty irritating...at first i was like truly very upset myself with Edward leaving and stuff...but i then thought that her depression kinda dragged on and it didn't make much sense..coz yh..firstly i was getting impatient thinking when Meyer was gonna bring Edward back...LOOL!..and although Edward technically wasn't..he was actually jus a guy and her bf! And in real life..firstly i don't think u would actually find someone who looks as perfect as Edward; and secondly i would somehow seriously criticize someone who was a walking and hardly talking zombie coz they were dumped by their bf and couldn't get over it!

But yh..i suppose i forgot about everything then once Edward came back! 
I still totally love him tho...i never thought of all of this in that way when i was reading it. and never went indepth to truly understand the meaning of all the events and stuff....and yhh..although it actually does make total sense..i suppose i'll always love Edward!

Sorry! Dunno if i made much sense..and i didn't really proof read it either! Hehe!

Edited by Leenasmg - 09 September 2008 at 11:45am

ammmu

IF-Veteran Member

ammmu

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged
Very, very interesting topic! I read it a while back but didn't get the chance to reply. I like the way you write, by the way - concise and to-the-point, but very meaningful :)

I have quite a bit to say on this matter, but as I've got to run, will try and say as much as possible and finish later... I do agree that at times, I feel confused and bewildered as to why Bella never seems to think she's wrong. Ever. And Edward feels the same way as well.. when you were talking about he's domineering in their relationship though, I'm not sure if I agree with that fully. Only because I think Bella allows herself for this to happen? In the sense that, she can't say no to Edward... and I don't think it's his fault. It's like both of them are trying to stray away from being succumbed, but it's not possible because of the way they feel about each other (so on, so on)... will edit more later, like I said.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top